What was the first box you ever opened?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockies9fan

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I thought it would be cool if everyone shared what the first box they ever opened.
When I was six years old I liked to watch my dad open baseball cards he bought. So one day when we went to the store and I asked him if he would buy me a pack. I think it was Topps Total. Then when my birthday came around I got a box of 2005 Fleer Tradition. I have only one card left it's a ttm auto of Aaron Miles.

Now lets hear yours!

1975 Topps.

The first box I bought I had to save up my allowance to buy the box. A friend and I rode our bikes up to DeKoven Drug Store in Naperville, IL and each bought one box. Packs were $0.10 a piece at the time. We had to ride on the back roads because we were not allowed to ride on Chicago Rd. DeKoven Drugs was one of many places we bought cards.

Another small grocery store was also on Chicago Rd but was on the opposite side. So what we had to do was leave our bikes on the one side of the road and walk through the drainage culvert which came out right next door to the little grocery store. Many times I also had to buy cigarettes for my mom and she would give me $0.50 and I would buy a couple cello packs.

Times have really changed.

Jeff

My 1st box opened was either 1989-90 Fleer basketball or 1989-90 Hoops basketball.

Growing up playing little league baseball was all about getting the baseball packs at the concession stand after a game instead of the usual snowcone. My first packs (if I remember) where 88T. $0.50 a pack! How times (and prices) have changed..

I do remember my first complete baseball set. 1983 Topps. My dad bought it for me through a catalog that year. I still remember the price. $19.99 + shipping. I believe it was hand collated as they didn't have factory sets at that time.

1984 Topps was the first box of cards my father ever bought me. We completed that set and then went on to build the Donruss and Fleer sets. From that year until 1990 we built every set.

1977/78/79 Star Wars series 3 (yellow borders). Bought a box with birthday money. Sports was 1981 Topps baseball, never did win a ^@#$ prize on that scratch off game card!

1986 Topps. And boy was it a dud. 1 Clemens, no Coleman, no Fielder, no Gooden, no Mattingly, no Boggs, no Dykstra, no Eric Davis. I bought the box at a flea market in 1987 for $18. I was about 11 at the time. Live and learn, I guess.

1975 Topps.

The first box I bought I had to save up my allowance to buy the box. A friend and I rode our bikes up to DeKoven Drug Store in Naperville, IL and each bought one box. Packs were $0.10 a piece at the time. We had to ride on the back roads because we were not allowed to ride on Chicago Rd. DeKoven Drugs was one of many places we bought cards.

Another small grocery store was also on Chicago Rd but was on the opposite side. So what we had to do was leave our bikes on the one side of the road and walk through the drainage culvert which came out right next door to the little grocery store. Many times I also had to buy cigarettes for my mom and she would give me $0.50 and I would buy a couple cello packs.

Times have really changed.

Jeff

Did you have to bring a note? I had to do that when my uncle sent me

1989 fleer was my first box. I pulled the @ face, and the black box billy ripken I still have them to this date. Including the great rookies in that set.

I'm 47 and opened many a pack through the years but never bought a box until 2006 when I made up for all those years when I bought and opened a case of Topps Sterling.

First box I ever opened was 2008 Bowman. There was one big star in that set named David Price (not sure who it is) :p and I ended up pulling his auto. I really wish I hadn't traded it away now.

I can't remember my retail boxes well but I believe my first hobby boxes were 2x 1999 Absolute SSD football. I ended up using them for my science fair project to see how accurate the wrapper odds were for inserts. Looking back, I can't believe my teacher let me do that, haha. I've since completed the base set w/o sps and still have most/all the key cards. Here's what I can remember I pulled and bvs from back then:

Barry Sanders & Emmitt Smith orange boarder: bv $50 & $30
Favre & Marino subsets: bv$15 each
Chicago Bears Jersey card (McNown, Enis, Conway, Engram)- also was my first memorabilia card though I'm not sure this one was gu
Favre & Cris Carter parallels /500 (5th & 6th cards in pack, only supposed to be 4 cards/pack)
Joe Mongomery Rookies Red parallel /100 $15

Looking at the base set now isn't too exciting but the memories of the cards I pulled reminds me of why I loved this set.

My first retail boxes where 1989 topps I was 7 at the time and I was hooked ever since, I bought them at local Toys R Us or well my parents did, then came a time I didn't collect at all, not because I didn't like but because of several other reasons, I started collecting once again 5 years ago and my girlfriend bought me my first hobby box a 2006 Fleer greats of the game, since then I've tried to get all the autos, and auto parallels of that set.

1988 Donruss. Pulled Gregg Jeffries in the first pack, a Mark McGwire Diamond King shortly afterwards, and I made a complete Stan Musial puzzle from the box.;)

Tim

Pretty sure my first box was 2005 Donruss Champions. Was just getting into baseball cards again after about a year of collecting hockey cards. I loved GU cards at the time, and Champions certainly delivered on that end (8 GU per box).

My first full box was 1980 Topps. I probably would have bought a box earlier, except one kid in our neighborhood always seemed to be able to buy half the box before anyone else even knew the pharmacy had gotten new cards in yet!

Scott