What was your favorite card design growing up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Although they came out before I was born, I did grow up with these as my dad gave them to me when I was a kid.... 1959 Topps were my favorite.

As others have said the 1987 I think was my favorite. It was also the first year I REALLY started buying cards.

Since they no longer make "wax" packs I thought it would be neat to put together a 1987 Topps set with ONLY cards that had the wax melted to it from being the last in the pack.

I always have to flip a coin between 1981 Topps and 1985 Topps, mostly sentimental I'm sure. One got me started, the other was the first set I built complete from packs

I love the 1970s sets and I'd have to say 1973 is my favorite with 1974 being the runner-up.

My favorite baseball card of all time is the 1973 Topps Roberto Clemente.

From the post-vintage era (1980?), I'd select the 1991 Studio set for the design but they could have done much better job with the player selection!

I will stick with "growing up" favorites as the 1986 Donruss, 1987 Topps and 1955 Bowman. I collected from 89 - 93 when I was in middle and early high school and could not get enough of those; although I had very few 55 Bomwan cards.

Later in life after I started collecting again in 2000 my favorite set design is the 2005 SP Legendary Cuts set.

For Baseball I think it was the 83 Topps set, Very similar to the 63 set and just some great action shots. (except for the Gwynn Rookie) Football I absolutely loved the 85 topps with the vertical cards and the black borders. Something about the Walter Payton card too...awesome.

I loved the 1965 Topps even though I was only 4 years old then and was not collecting at all. For a set I put together I loved the '70s topps sets all! I built them all by buying packs until 1975 when I started saving my money and buying the complete sets through the mail!

1982 Topps for me, though I always did like the 1984 design as well.

Amazes me there are so many people saying '87 Topps! I remember back then people around me were upset that they came out with another bad design after that nasty '86 Topps look.

1982 Topps for me, though I always did like the 1984 design as well.

Amazes me there are so many people saying '87 Topps! I remember back then people around me were upset that they came out with another bad design after that nasty '86 Topps look.

I remember people saying that also but for my money 87 is a million times better than 86 or 88 for that matter. It was also cool because after a 6yr hiatus the trophy card was back!

I think we are looking through rose colored glasses. I also remember back then myself and most of my friends were kind of "eh" on the set. Now however it was nice to see them take a chance with their base set. For example I think the '87 mini insert set is very popular because those of us in the 30 and older crowd get to see today's stars on the wood grain card.

While anything vintage has a great design, my favorite is 1980 Topps Baseball the first year I began buying cards.

The pennants with team colors indicating the team name with the inverse for the position with facimile autograph even then appealed to me.

hendersonrickeyfinn.jpg

Also, rather than having separate All-Star cards, they indicated the All-Stars on their only base card.

134258.jpg

different color for NL All Stars too!!!

134948.jpg

I also like how the prospects didn't have their own cards just show that they haven't quite "earned" it.

Topps_R_672.jpg

70' Topps is my favorite. Wished Mantle would have stuck out another year of ball so I could have seen him in that set. Gray boarders, blue/yellow back. Not to mention Seattle Pilots cards. I love that set.

But as ugly as most of you might think it is, this set still makes my heart skip a beat when I see one of them surface in a stack of cardboard. They sold them 2 packs for a buck at the ball field when I was a kid. 1995 Score, the first cards I collected. Loved them then, still love them now.

RandyJohnso.jpg

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Latest posts and bumps

Members online