What was your favorite card design growing up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrchoholic83

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hey Everyone,

Just wondering what your favorite card designs were growing up?

Mine had to be 1990 Topps and 1992 Score. The border of the 90 Topps was great, and the 92 Score design was the sharpest design of 92 despite being the lowest price point (.60 for 60 card jumbo pack!).

Scan10093.pngScan10126.png

What were your favorites?

1980 topps for me

I'd have to say the 1972 Topps baseball....................Had weird in action cards, boyhood photo's, player awards, and the "Traded" series toward the end...................One of the best set builder sets of all times......................

Mine too! Many people hate the "card of many colors" design, but I really dug it!
I can't wait until Heritage does this design!

I'd have to say the 1972 Topps baseball....................Had weird in action cards, boyhood photo's, player awards, and the "Traded" series toward the end...................One of the best set builder sets of all times......................

Mine is 1974 Topps. Spent most of my lunch money buying packs, not to put the set together but I had to have the Dick Allen card. Finally got it in a trade for Rose and Bench. I didn't say I was smart!

It has to be the 1973 Topps set with all of the great action shots - but it's the position design in the lower corner that makes this set special. A close second would be the 1976 SSPC set with the nice clean fronts with the white border - a great set for getting signatures. I am currently working on getting as many cards from this set signed and they do look Great!

Randy

I started collecting when I was 10 years old buying '87 Topps. I still love this set. I really enjoyed the Topps '87 minis this year too!

I started collecting when I was 10 years old buying '87 Topps. I still love this set. I really enjoyed the Topps '87 minis this year too!

I loved those '87's as well. My dad got me a whole bunch of 72's shortly after I started collecting, and I loved the colors from that set. In 1991 when Stadium Club came out, I really spent some money on packs. While I love the vintage stuff now (and all sets that pay tribute to past decades), I was in love with the borderless, high-quality photos, high-gloss, thick stock that was from that Stadium Club set.

Tim

Rereading this thread, it occurs to me that everyone has chosen a baseball card design- no other sports design at all! No love for the OPC hockey or 70s Topps basketball stuff?

1988 Topps always holds a special place because it was the first set I collected. I also liked 1991 Topps, 1992 Score, and 1993 Ultra.
Richard

I loved 05 Zenith designs. Only problem is that they tend to get white corners easily plus some had surface flaws straight out of the packs. The inserts were really cool though.

Curtis

I have always loved the 1982 Topps design. Maybe it is the hockey stick design on the side but that has always been my favorite card set.

I have always loved the 1982 Topps design. Maybe it is the hockey stick design on the side but that has always been my favorite card set.

Bryon,

Funny you said that, right when I was about to comment, no one had mentioned the 1982 Topps set.

My top choices are 1975 Topps (love the pre-funkadellic vibe), 1971 Topps (love the black borders), 1987 Topps (reminds me of an old wood grained stationwagon) and the 1982 Topps (love the swooshes).

Todd

Rereading this thread, it occurs to me that everyone has chosen a baseball card design- no other sports design at all! No love for the OPC hockey or 70s Topps basketball stuff?

1975 Topps Basketball is my favorite non-baseball set. This set has sound funkdamentals!

Here is the ABA's All Time Leading Scorer:

Scan10091.jpg