What was your most satisfying or difficult set to complete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I got a handful of them, what #'s do you need. I need a password to look at your site. LMK DG

Not sure why it’s asking for password.

Here are the ones I still need

2008 UD masterpieces Red Border

16 Jonathan Papelbon Red Sox 2.5
25 Joe Morgan Reds 2.5
32 Justin Verlander Tigers 4
35 Magglio Ordonez Tigers 2.5
80 Tim Lincecum Giants 2.5

Thanks for checking!

Not sure why it’s asking for password.

Here are the ones I still need

2008 UD masterpieces Red Border

16 Jonathan Papelbon Red Sox 2.5
25 Joe Morgan Reds 2.5
32 Justin Verlander Tigers 4
35 Magglio Ordonez Tigers 2.5
80 Tim Lincecum Giants 2.5

Thanks for checking!
Sorry I don't have any. Thought we might get lucky. DG

Great topic! I mostly build sets in my PC.

My most satisfying sets would be 1969 and 1972 Topps and 2008 Upper Deck Timeline.

The 1969 and 1972 sets I started with a big trade with Symphonic Metal back in 2003. If I recall I gave him a 1975 Topps mini George Brett (which I purchased for $15 on eBay in 2002) for something like 700 1969 and 1972 Topps. However, my daughter was born in 2004 and money for purchasing many of the big names and high numbers was just not “in the cards“ (sorry 😄). I slowly built up these sets through trades and the occasional small purchase. I didn’t finish the 1972 set until 2015 and the 1969 set until 2017. The white whales for me were the 1969 Reggie RC, 2nd year Ryan and the final year Mantle.

The 2008 Upper Deck Timelines was a weird set for me. It must’ve been something like 2012 or so and the Dollar Generals in my area were clearing inventory of all sports cards. They had a bunch 2008 Upper Deck brands like Upper Deck X, Goudey, Masterpieces and Timeline. I want to say they were marked down to something like a quarter each. I finished the X and X Gold without any problem. The Goudey I built a base set and have no interest in the SPs. The Masterpieces took awhile, but with COMC I nailed the SPs. However the Timeline took awhile because it was divided into fourths or fifths. With each succeeding series, the cards became a bit more scarce. To make it more difficult, most of the series each contained a RC of noted up-and-comers such as Scherzer, Kershaw, Votto and Longoria. Building the set with three or four of these players on a budget was a challenge. Not being a flagship set also made finding these card a quest of sorts. I finally finished it in 2018.

My current vintage quest is a 1971 Topps set. I have most of the stars - Clemente, Mays, Aaron, etc but it’s those high numbered cards that are eluding me.

2 OF THE 3 SETS I AM REALLY WANTING TO COMPLETE

2008 UPPER DECK DOCUMENTARY 4860 CARD SET 19 LEFT TO COMPLETE

2008 GOUDEY GU MEMORABILIA 80 CARD SET 2 TO COMPLETE
DELMON YOUNG AND CATFISH HUNTER

2 OF THE 3 SETS I AM REALLY WANTING TO COMPLETE

2008 UPPER DECK DOCUMENTARY 4860 CARD SET 19 LEFT TO COMPLETE

2008 GOUDEY GU MEMORABILIA 80 CARD SET 2 TO COMPLETE
DELMON YOUNG AND CATFISH HUNTER

Documentary, what a massive set.

The 08 Goudey was one of my favs too… I think 08 was a good year for the hobby. UD was putting out nice products, especially the legendary cuts.

Hey all! I have really enjoyed reading these posts so far! My most satisfying chase would be my team set of Cubs from 1998 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary Refractors /5, it took me 12 years to complete that one! I currently have two Im trying to finish both game used sets the first is 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Memorabilia GU Set, Im only missing the Babe Ruth Bat Card, I seen pictures of it, but have never come across an auction involving one. I did hear a story there was a single buyer purchasing every Ruth from that set when they hit Ebay, no matter the price he walked away the winner..Id love to find that guy! And the other set Im still working on is the 2008 Upper Deck Yankee Stadium Legacy Collection Memorabilia Set, Im just missing the Lou Gehrig GU jersey from that set, never seen one of those in auction either...

Hey all! I have really enjoyed reading these posts so far! My most satisfying chase would be my team set of Cubs from 1998 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary Refractors /5, it took me 12 years to complete that one! I currently have two Im trying to finish both game used sets the first is 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Memorabilia GU Set, Im only missing the Babe Ruth Bat Card, I seen pictures of it, but have never come across an auction involving one. I did hear a story there was a single buyer purchasing every Ruth from that set when they hit Ebay, no matter the price he walked away the winner..Id love to find that guy! And the other set Im still working on is the 2008 Upper Deck Yankee Stadium Legacy Collection Memorabilia Set, Im just missing the Lou Gehrig GU jersey from that set, never seen one of those in auction either...

Those are great GU Sets! I also did them, I am missing the Ruth and Mathewson from 07 SS, and I have seen both on Ebay, and your info on the Ruth buyer now make sense why I could never get one.

I also did the YSL GU Set, and was missing the Ruth and Gehrig, but I Sent it to The Bench to add to the YSL set auction to hopefully bump the value for the auction when that last base card gets found.

Good luck with those last couple of GU Cards for your sets.

Mine would be the 2001 Studio set. 150 base cards plus 50 short print rookies numbered to 700. I was lucky to find the Ichiro and Pujols cards for around $25 each very early. Card #154 Nate Freese haunted me for over 5 years before I found one on EBAY for around $5. Figures the last card I needed would be a Cub.

My 1960 topps sure it is a ****** set but missing a Kuenn and checklist. I was at a store and across the street a church was having a bazaar, so I stopped in to kill time and came to an elderly couples table he had the cards, so we talked and mentioned that I needed these two cards. He had the checklist now all I needed was the Kuenn, then his wife pops up and says what about that card you had in your pocket! He goes oh yeah pulls out the Kuenn card 1960 and said he was walking toward the dugout and I asked him to sign it. Then he looks at me and says the last one you need? Here you go !! I glad to help you out!! Mever forget it.
As for the other set 2003 bowman draft Signs of the Future CS Cory Stewa SD. It has only 5 cards and I am still looking for it 19 years later 🥺