When is a good time to stop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArodYanksFan

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
So I've been contemplating the last couple of months to stop collecting for awhile. I think I finally hit that time to just say enough is enough. I bought my own coop a year ago, and I've been trying to save money, like we all do. Then I looked at my past bills and there has been $200-$500 a month in Card Boxes! It just hit me that as much as I LOVE collecting/buying cards, I need to now think of my future.

When did you realize you needed to stop or cut back?

I'm not poor or hurting badly for money right now, but I realized I need to start protecting my future just a little more than I have been!

So I've been contemplating the last couple of months to stop collecting for awhile. I think I finally hit that time to just say enough is enough. I bought my own coop a year ago, and I've been trying to save money, like we all do. Then I looked at my past bills and there has been $200-$500 a month in Card Boxes! It just hit me that as much as I LOVE collecting/buying cards, I need to now think of my future.

When did you realize you needed to stop or cut back?

I'm not poor or hurting badly for money right now, but I realized I need to start protecting my future just a little more than I have been!

I think it's a good time to take a break when you make a post like you did.
Clearly you have other pressing concerns that trump sports cards. I think a break would make sense, at least from buying new product. You can always trade, especially PWE trades where the postage won't be significant.
Good luck and it's probably only temporary. Stay on the boards and keep posting. At least you can keep up with the hobby and spend time with friends.

I agree with otgoal. It sounds like a good idea for you to cut back now and its good that you are noticing your financial habits now rather than in too much hindsight.

I'm a college kid (at least for one more semester) and buy a few packs here and there as well as a box every few months. it gives me something to save and look forward towards. Trading is the way to go if you want to slow down...that way you can still stay active in the hobby, get rid of the stuff you have, and stay current on products and your collection.

Agree with both.

Buying boxes is like buying scratch off lottery tickets. You might hit it big but it's unlikely. Use what you've already acquired to make trades, keeping you active in the hobby.

My revelation came around 1999-2000 time frame. I had been buying box and after box of stuff pretty steady since 1993, filling 5K boxes with junk! I hoped for a Frank Thomas or a nice auto every time I bought a box and would get Jeromy Burnitz!

I refocused my collecting on singles, sets and other specific items, dropping the unopened pack/box habit. It was hard, because it's fun to open packs and there is always a thrill of the big pull, but I have never regretted it.

I won't say it's saved me significant money, but I now have items I definitely want for that same money instead of a pile of commons and a few inserts.

I also nearly stopped buying cards for a period when the money got tight. That has since passed thought and I picked back up full speed. However, I know in my mind there are better things to spend my money on and I sometimes imagine making larger purchases more easier than I normally do (I don't like to spend big money, even if I need to) but as of yet, I have not made that conscious effort to move towards that rather than pumping more and more into my collection.

Use to buy at least one box of every product....now days...purchase a few packs and if I like the product...I would buy a box...so yes..it sounds like a good time for you to cut back or place yourself on a budget! Best regards, David

Well...... I haven't came to the point where I Realized I needed to cut back, lol. But I never really have spent hardcore money on cards before. Hate to say it but I've never boughten a hobby box. I have so many cards I need to go through from auctions and garage sales that sometimes it makes it easier to pass up that new box. I know you can run into a lot of 80s junk at garage sales but I have happened to find some great stuff. You could just cut back to trading but It is tough to resist new boxes. Maybe try just trading for a little while, no buying, see how it goes, and maybe it will work out for you. Trading's a good way to get the cards you need without having to spend the dough. Either option you decide, I hope it works out for you and I hope you are happy with it.

Curtis

For me it was when my wife gave birth to our daugher in 2004. I bought a box of Bowman and plan to give it to her when she's 10.

I stopped buying boxes because life was getting more expensive for me.

I agree with posters above. For me, it wasn't about leaving the hobby, which I enjoy, but changing how I buy cards. While it is fun to bust a box every now and then, you end up with a A LOT of cards your don't want or need. Now, I buy a few packs a week (usually less than $20), and use anything I get to trade. I save up paypal to buy singles, and wait till shows to spend any real cash.

Seems like I'm just burnt out from the hobby right now too. Wish I had another hobby to focus on haha

So I'll keep trading on here, but I won't be buying anything for at least awhile.

I suspect that you can relate enjoyment of the hobby to the particular goals and trading habits one sets for themselves.

If you have a highly specialized wantlist and don't stray from it, you may find collecting tedious more frequently. For example, let's say you are an advanced collector of a certain player who has just about everything possible except for a few stragglers you have never seen offered or 1/1s. You may see a new item every once in a while, maybe hope for a new release to feature your player or something like that. Occasionally an oddball item you never knew existed will pop up, but otherwise you are not making much progress on your collection at all. If you branch out in your interests, that may open some new avenues and prolong your enjoyment. If you can't or won't expand your interests, then the hobby is probably a dead end for you.

Personally I have focused interests, but a fairly wide variety of smaller interests. If I had the time and the money, I could always find something I liked/wanted. I collect Steve Garvey, which is a slow and petient process of waiting for new items to show up. However, I also collect Dodger items in general (never ending supply), Dodger autographs (also a potentially never ending supply), signed cards in general, Vintage stars, Topps Rookie Team signed cards, oddball sets and singles and a supply of other players besides Garvey who interest me (Carew, Oliver, Davis, etc). I like SLUs, magazines, minor League sets and the list goes on and on. I don't forsee ever growing tired of the hobby myself, but I like so many different aspects that I have guaranteed my success. About the only thing I don't really care for are unopened boxes/packs and that is mainly my past track record, the gambling aspect (you don't always get your money's worth) and the expense of it.

I have pulled way back the past 3 years, mainly due to the economy, as a self employed person in The retail business, the economy generally dictates how much money I make personally. With my Maddux Collection getting to the 3400+ mark, its is much more difficult for me to find affordable cards of his that I need even though there are 7000+ more cards I am trying to chase down. That being said I simply bide my time and wait for stuff I need to come around at a price I can afford.

My trading has slowed down mainly because my Tradebait is a little stale, but I cannot afford to buy boxes/packs to resupply the tradebait box so again I have to wait for the right person to have something I need.

All in all I still love my hobby I just cannot pick stuff up with the frequency I did in 2005/2006

I suspect that you can relate enjoyment of the hobby to the particular goals and trading habits one sets for themselves.

If you have a highly specialized wantlist and don't stray from it, you may find collecting tedious more frequently. For example, let's say you are an advanced collector of a certain player who has just about everything possible except for a few stragglers you have never seen offered or 1/1s. You may see a new item every once in a while, maybe hope for a new release to feature your player or something like that. Occasionally an oddball item you never knew existed will pop up, but otherwise you are not making much progress on your collection at all. If you branch out in your interests, that may open some new avenues and prolong your enjoyment. If you can't or won't expand your interests, then the hobby is probably a dead end for you.

Personally I have focused interests, but a fairly wide variety of smaller interests. If I had the time and the money, I could always find something I liked/wanted. I collect Steve Garvey, which is a slow and petient process of waiting for new items to show up. However, I also collect Dodger items in general (never ending supply), Dodger autographs (also a potentially never ending supply), signed cards in general, Vintage stars, Topps Rookie Team signed cards, oddball sets and singles and a supply of other players besides Garvey who interest me (Carew, Oliver, Davis, etc). I like SLUs, magazines, minor League sets and the list goes on and on. I don't forsee ever growing tired of the hobby myself, but I like so many different aspects that I have guaranteed my success. About the only thing I don't really care for are unopened boxes/packs and that is mainly my past track record, the gambling aspect (you don't always get your money's worth) and the expense of it.

Great point. I have a lot of little collections going which have no real point, so I might get rid of those and just focus on my Tino Martinez collection and Autographed Memorabilia Collection.

Now the real challenge...sell all of the cards I have right now hahaha

When you're dead would be a good time to call it quits. ; )

Honestly, u can collect as much as the money allows. When I was in college, I could maybe afford a couple packs every couples weeks. Did that suck? Yes, but it allowed me to stay in touch with the hobby I love.

Hope this helps.

Wow, what a timely thread...

I'm easing myself back in after the better part of a 2 year break. Just got to the point where I bought too much which overwhelmed my obsessive need to organize, categorize, etc. Sometimes its also a good thing when other priorities take over as well like family or work.

One of the great things about this hobby is the fact that there is so many ways and sources to build your collection (singles, boxes, shows, fee-bay, trades, etc) and so many different ways to focus your collecting.

After a break its nice to come back and revisit your collection. There's plenty you realize you didn't have, plenty you haven't seen in a while, but also plenty you realize you don't want.

Trades anyone? :)