Why are you not trading anymore??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I blame the Topps monopoly and I miss Upper Deck licensed products :(. I can't get too excited about some overpriced/overproduced product that somes out every few weeks or so. Online promotions, wrapper redemptions and poor QC have all rubbed me the wrong way...when I don't bust, there's not much trading going on.

One thing to note about this is that the $1.71 rate is for envelopes that are 3/4 inch thick or more.

This is the pricing for envelopes under 3/4 inch thick:
1 ounce $0.88
2 ounces $1.08
3 ounces $1.28
4 ounces $1.48
5 ounces $1.68
6 ounces $1.88
7 ounces $2.08
8 ounces $2.28
9 ounces $2.48
10 ounces $2.68
11 ounces $2.88
12 ounces $3.08
13 ounces $3.28

Size limits:
- Rectangular
- No more than 12 inches high by 15 inches long by 3/4 inches thick
- Must not be rigid and must be uniformly thick (see package prices)

Anything beyond that goes to the $1.71 rate up to 3 ounces.

Info obtained from this site: http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-prices.htm

The uniformity is a sticking point at my PO, which is why if it's a bubble mailer in general, it's a parcel...and costs more to ship. If I try sneaking it by on the cheap, it just ends up back in my mailbox.

Everyone has stated the reasons why my trading has gone down a bit. As for new products/or the same old stuff/lack of a selection, I am waiting to buy the only product I enjoy, Allen and Ginter. I haven't bought a box of cards in I dont know how long. That makes it enjoyable when the only product I like comes out.

Yeah money is an issue for everyone, but I don't spend a lot on other things and thankfully have a job that is a 15 mins drive from my home which frees up time and money for me.

As far as trading and spending money on shipping. I enjoy trading with others and when I can trade something to get some hits to my player collection or TTM collection of sets I am working on, I am more then willing to do that. Most of the time, it is cheaper for me to do that then bid on EBAY, b/c shipping is so darn high compared to the card value.

I'm looking forward to the new Allen and Ginter release too! I am just a Nolan Ryan collector, and have a growing J.J. Redick collection. I don't collect sets, but I love busting packs, especially Allen and Ginter. I usually have the worst luck with packs and boxes. I usually tell myself i'll never buy another box of cards, after a bad break, but I find myself doing in again anyway...I'm a sucker.

As far as trading, I can relate to most. It's been very slow. My Ryan wantlist is large, but it's a challenge to find the ones I need. Time is also a huge factor, as well as money. Everything's so expensive! Bills, a 3-year old, and 19-month old take time and money...and leave little for the hobby. I go through the periods where I just don't feel like trading too.

Everyone has hit the nail on the head from one aspect or another.

just much, much easier and quicker to buy on ebay, right now it is a buyers market as im picking up some great deals! cards i couldnt even think about touching a few years ago im now usually the only one bidding on it!

there is also a great increase on cards on ebay that have FREE shipping. Im all over those cards because i find it difficult to buy a card i need on ebay for $1.00 and then have to pay $4.00 just for shipping.

i am now more focused on my two pcs (Dodgers and HOFers) i also agree that It is best to avoid the HOT rookies. i cant tell you how many bowman chrome cards i have of guys that never made it big that tore it up in the minors, guys like mike constanzo, cant miss rookies like todd van poppel, brent lillibridge, guys like mark prior and kevin maas. i bought low to sell high but instead bought low and cant get rid of them now! another example is there was a time that there were bidding wars on rc autos of guys like brad willkerson, jose vidro and brad fullmer. i spent soooo much money on those autos now i cant even sell them for 99 cents!

i think the problem with our hobby is, many, many people will sell you their cards, but not many people will buy cards. after 35+ years of collecting i have boxes and boxes of cards that i cant just throw out because they are worth "something" but also cant find any buyers!

so now i only pick up cards i need/want for my pc. i sell my cards when they are HOT and flip them for cards for my PC example, selling now jose bautista, joey votto, andre ethier and ryan braun and brian wilson autos while they are hot, and then using that money to buy cards for my pc. then if i really want these autos again, ill buy them when these players slump, go on the 60 day DL or for pitchers have tommy john surgery. This method has proven pretty good for me as i am picking up a ton of good deals on ebay right now with money im making on selling my extras.

i still trade, but trades are getting harder and harder and ebay is so much easier. just my 2 cents worth.

elbert

Last edited:
I traded a lot when I bought a lot of packs. Now that I don't, I just don't have anything to trade.