Why are you not trading anymore??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bombie1138

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hi All,
I still drop in daily to see whats up but I have not even attempted a trade in the last few weeks.I have a few reasons why and was wondering if anyone wanted to throw their two cents in,..

My main reasons,..
Money:
Seems like all commodities are rising in price and this is ******* up all my luxury funds for sure.
New product has been very,very boring,...Why does Topps think that getting a game use card a big hit anymore? Ya can't give them away ,and they continue to promote the "big hit" on the fronts of the packs,ever read the odds on getting one,lets say 1-2,250 packs,..do the math,you would have to spend $6727.50 (2.99 a pack) just to fall within the odds.
Things also seem to be drying up on the boards too.I could be wrong but there doesn't seem to be quite as much activity happening.I have been buying Vintage cards at the local flea market,been kgetting alot better deals there then buying new stuff.

Anyone else want to share their thoughts?

Clint

I haven't had many trades lately due to the lack of new products. Topps base set is a staple in my collection, but none of thier other products would even get me to buy a single pack. Just nothing interesting to me.
Lately I ahve been working on my vintage sets, but even those trades are few and far between, mostly because the last cards I need for some of those sets are the big players.

Good luck with your collection anyway.

I mainly don't trade as much because of time commitment. Just have a lot of stuff going on right now.

Aside from the rise in prices, lack of product, etc., I think that once in a while we just go through a "I'm just not in the mood right now" phase. I used to consistently do anywhere between 15 and 25 trades a month. The last couple months of so I've only done maybe 10ish at best. Personally, I haven't been in the mood lately. This hobby takes up so much time, and lately it's like whenever I have free time, generally it's spent doing some house chores or just doing stuff with the family.

Enough of my rant. Best of luck to you and to everyone else on their 2011 collecting goals!

-Kenny

Since I don't really care about current products, my collecting all revolves around my player collections. And as I pick up all the low hanging fruit, it just gets a lot harder to find good deals on the rest of the cards I need. As soon as the mystique over GU cards dies, I hope to be able to pick up a bunch of the cards I need for $1-2 each and fill in some massive holes in the collection. But I can't see paying more than that what are mostly some pretty boring cards.

To be honest,..
I guess I am running a "lets just see" attitude lately,..not a bad thing I guess,...See how the dust will settle,..

Clint

Absolutely bored to death with recent releases, I have no interest in wasting my money in poorly executed releases. So why trade for stuff I am not interested in? I am amazed at the lack of originality being shown by the manufacturers...

I call it my collecting "malaise", just a fancy word for boredom with today's product plus lack of funds to spend on it.................To me, there are just to many Topps reprint sets going back 10 years................The Walmart cards of 2006 were pretty cool, but still.................Lack of creativity, or whatever, has done it for me..................With no competition for Topps, I don't see this changing any time soon....................That's pretty funny about the "big hits" too...................A Ross Gload GU to add to the PC!

When it comes down to it, money. For someone that makes as little as I do, it's hard to justify the spending of trading. Sometimes it'll cost me $2 to ship cards to someone only to get something worth about the same in return. Only problem is I could have bought the cards I got AND kept the cards I gave up. Now that is the negative way to look at it, but in the end I'm losing more money that I don't really need to lose. I love helping others out and getting cards I need in return, but there is a fine line.

It's gotten to the point for me where I'm going to try to sell everything I have that I don't need and just buy/sell from now on.

Its hard to find new Cabrera stuff to trade for with the trade bait I have. I dont like to buy trade bait on Ebay when I can buy Cabrera stuff instead. The only way I have trade bait is from packs and those are not high priority.

Short on cash these days so have not brought any new product in but the thing that has slowed me down the most is my bad idea a year ago to revamp my trade list. Still chugging along on it and it's hard to make deals when you don't have a working trade list for people to browse over.

Has anyone had enough of just one company producing cards? The thought of another year of this just doesn't seem real exciting. Really, manufactured patch cards???? Is that what we have to look forward to now? Sure, I have a few, but just don't know what to make of all of this.

Has anyone had enough of just one company producing cards? The thought of another year of this just doesn't seem real exciting. Really, manufactured patch cards???? Is that what we have to look forward to now? Sure, I have a few, but just don't know what to make of all of this.

I miss the days of when we had multiple companies producing baseball cards. I like Topps but I also like to have more options and I think limiting the hobby to one company was a huge mistake.

I miss the days of when we had multiple companies producing baseball cards. I like Topps but I also like to have more options and I think limiting the hobby to one company was a huge mistake.

I agree 100%, and I think many other people do too. I'm certain 90% of those people knew this was going to happen the minute they shut Upper Deck out of the competition. Bring back UD, Donruss, Leaf, Fleer, and even Pacific (we need another set with a bajillion parallels, 2008 UD Heroes is 3 years old now)

A second child on the heels of the worst economy since the Great Depression means that I don't buy anymore. No more buying means that I have no trade bait. No trade bait... well, you get the idea.
Plus, I just don't have the time. I've been "promoted" within my family business, and I'm working all of the time. It's one thing to check this site for 10 minutes a day just to catch up on what is going on within the hobby and to check out what others are pulling, but to try to spend the time to put together a trade, then get to the post office - there's just not enough for me.
-Casey

Everyone has stated the reasons why my trading has gone down a bit. As for new products/or the same old stuff/lack of a selection, I am waiting to buy the only product I enjoy, Allen and Ginter. I haven't bought a box of cards in I dont know how long. That makes it enjoyable when the only product I like comes out.

Yeah money is an issue for everyone, but I don't spend a lot on other things and thankfully have a job that is a 15 mins drive from my home which frees up time and money for me.

As far as trading and spending money on shipping. I enjoy trading with others and when I can trade something to get some hits to my player collection or TTM collection of sets I am working on, I am more then willing to do that. Most of the time, it is cheaper for me to do that then bid on EBAY, b/c shipping is so darn high compared to the card value.

Lack of product???? Need more manufacturers??? You guys have got to be kidding!
I just got back into collecting 2 years ago and am this close to being sorry I did. One of the reasons I got out was because of the amount of companies producing cards!!! There are way too many issues. Even just by Topps!! Do you really have the extra cash to have a different product come out every 2 weeks and have to go out and buy it at $60-$300 a box? I have enough trouble saving up enough money for each of the Topps products. You are all complaining about the economy AND the lack of product....very contradicting. There are 20 different parellels of every freakin' card that is issued and your complaining about the lack of product!!!!
C'mon people!!!
Save your cash and take the family, Mom & Dad out to dinner and help the economy. Forget (thank you C Lo Green) Topps!!!

I would have loved to type this in all CAPS but would have been hard to read. I tried to make up for it with my exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL!!!

I've been trading here and there, but that's just how I've always been. I never was really organized and then I would get organized and want it organized another way so I'd spend a lot of my time doing that instead of trading. Other times it came down to money since I am a college student. Then other times I just wasn't in the mood. I feel as though all of these factors have slowed trading down for everyone in the hobby.

My player collections are pretty advanced and I don't find anything to trade for. Since I don't collect anything aside from those 4 players... not many trades to be made.