Why do members act this way? why would someone treat a fellow member like this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superpieman

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I have a thread on here and scf looking to sell my nolan ryan bvg 6.5 rc and asking for offers(you may have seen it). I left for an hour and when i got back there were 7 posts on the scf one none of which were people interested in the card.

the first person told me what the last one sold for and how since i would be getting paid paypal gift and minus ebay fees told me what to ask(not in a polite way and he doesnt have a history of being a polite memeber) and then a few from members arguing with him and one saying what i bought it for.

so i posted asking them to move along if they were not interested in making an offer and to stop arguing in my post because its a little pathetic to argue in someone elses post over a price i didnt even ask for.

so the first member posts again basically saying they are doing nothing wrong and calling me a lowballer over buy threads that had nothing to do with selling a nolan ryan card and then telling me i have no concept of perception(or something like that).

what is wrong with people i would never dream of doing that to someone else so why in someones right mind is it ok to do that? i just dont understand what would compell someone to treat another board member and fellow collector like this? its stuff like this thats killing the hobby

do some people really have nothing better to do then sit around trolling sites looking to antagonize people.

sorry for the rant but it just made me as mad as ive been since ive gotten back into the hobby a year ago.

Last edited:
Easy solution - don't go over there anymore. I've had 99.9% positive experiences here on The Bench - and that .1% doesn't seem to stay here very long as a member.

I've learned that some people need to behave like that to tolerate the life they have carved out for themselves. Nothing you can do...just sit back, shake your head, and try and ignore them.

i honestly think its because its is totally different over at scf. thats why i have made the bench my home, the people here are alot more mature, coll and just overall better here. one reason i am not so much on scf anymore is because of all the people trolling boards there causing trouble.

i will say i prefer the member attitude over here more then there by far for a relaxed, adult conversation or debate this site beats that one by far. arguments here rarely turn into a fight just because someone doesnt agree with anothers point of view. i also prefer this site to ask for advice on certain things(example my thread today about selling packs) because im more likely to get good constructive criticism and less "thats a stupid idea" posts

i do a large amount of selling on SCF and as someone who buys to sell i couldnt afford to stop dealing there. 99 percent of their members are great but it seems like that 1 percent is just the worst of the worst.

regardless of trade site i just cant fathom what would make someone sit and there computer and say "hey you know what im bored lets go see who i can insult and tick off over nothing". its sickening.

Last edited:
I just blogged this on my www regarding a different issue on another site..
I think people just like to get their two cents in just to fuel the fire.. Nothing better then to stir the pot..

Regards,
Zac

i honestly think its because its is totally different over at scf. thats why i have made the bench my home, the people here are alot more mature, coll and just overall better here. one reason i am not so much on scf anymore is because of all the people trolling boards there causing trouble.

I have to agree 100%. Things changed so much since the takeover there about 3 years ago that instead of splitting time with them and the Bench, I just stay here. There's a much better class of people here!!

I have to agree 100%. Things changed so much since the takeover there about 3 years ago that instead of splitting time with them and the Bench, I just stay here. There's a much better class of people here!!

Same with me, found the Bench right around when that change started to happen, and within a few months I was here full-time! Much better trading and most of all better people here!

The anonymity of the internet makes some people bolder than they might otherwise be. That is one of the drawbacks of the internet age that we live in. I give credit to the mods and other members here for keeping it real. That is what makes this site so great.

Thanks,

Jeff

I recently joined SCF and have been disappointed so far. I mainly signed up for TTM addresses and the TTM forums. However, I have tried to start trading on there and responded to others that I am interested in cards they have. Some I have never heard back from and others that I have aren't interested in trading with me...guess it is b/c I am new?

Oh well, I will just continue trading on here and enjoy talking with everyone!

Shucks,I was looking for your thread to see who this doucher giving you a hard time was but certain replies were deleted which was the right thing to do but I doubt the guilty parties will be suspended or anything which is a shame.

I do attempt the occasional trade at SCF but the Bench is and will always be my home for trading. SCF will let anyone join whereas the bad eggs here are swiftly dealt with. In the past I've done some recon work and pointed out certain ones to the mods myself ;) It helps to be a member of many sites in that regard.

That's a sweet Ryan so get what you can for it and don't settle for anything less than what you want. In this age of refractors,superfractors,1/1s,autographs and prospects,many have lost sight of the feeling of having something legitimately awesome like a Nolan Ryan RC in their collection. When I was a teen it was my dream card and I never thought I would own one, especially since it booked $1200 at the time. Now that I do,the feeling I have of having one trumps any Pujols card currently in my collection.

What I'm trying to say is that the Bench is where true collectors come to trade and not a bunch of fly-by-night here today,gone tomorrow,how much do they go for on ebay? prospect fiends you find on other sites. Dealing with folks on other sites can really drive you insane so the best thing for you may be to stay here.

Wow did I ramble on or what? Bet I could give Gary Busey some competition lol.

Brett

Shucks,I was looking for your thread to see who this doucher giving you a hard time was but certain replies were deleted which was the right thing to do but I doubt the guilty parties will be suspended or anything which is a shame.

I do attempt the occasional trade at SCF but the Bench is and will always be my home for trading. SCF will let anyone join whereas the bad eggs here are swiftly dealt with. In the past I've done some recon work and pointed out certain ones to the mods myself ;) It helps to be a member of many sites in that regard.

That's a sweet Ryan so get what you can for it and don't settle for anything less than what you want. In this age of refractors,superfractors,1/1s,autographs and prospects,many have lost sight of the feeling of having something legitimately awesome like a Nolan Ryan RC in their collection. When I was a teen it was my dream card and I never thought I would own one, especially since it booked $1200 at the time. Now that I do,the feeling I have of having one trumps any Pujols card currently in my collection.

What I'm trying to say is that the Bench is where true collectors come to trade and not a bunch of fly-by-night here today,gone tomorrow,how much do they go for on ebay? prospect fiends you find on other sites. Dealing with folks on other sites can really drive you insane so the best thing for you may be to stay here.

Wow did I ramble on or what? Bet I could give Gary Busey some competition lol.

Brett

yea the replies were deleted, when someone posts something like that in a thread of mine i pm the link to a mod and they are usually quick to get it removed.

they are widely inconsistent on what they go for on ebay. a 6.5 sold for 320 a couple days ago then a 6 went for 325 the next day. a psa 7 got 900 recently on a best offer. so they are incredibly inconsistent which is why im taking offers. i stuck it on ebay with a bin of 700 with best offers because i figure if someone is willing to pay a ton more then average for them then they might as well buy mine lol

I recently joined SCF and have been disappointed so far. I mainly signed up for TTM addresses and the TTM forums. However, I have tried to start trading on there and responded to others that I am interested in cards they have. Some I have never heard back from and others that I have aren't interested in trading with me...guess it is b/c I am new?

Oh well, I will just continue trading on here and enjoy talking with everyone!

I hear you there. Blank replies and unanswered pm's or posts. That problem follows us everywhere though.

I do find that at least here there are a handfull of people I consider friends.

yea the replies were deleted, when someone posts something like that in a thread of mine i pm the link to a mod and they are usually quick to get it removed.

they are widely inconsistent on what they go for on ebay. a 6.5 sold for 320 a couple days ago then a 6 went for 325 the next day. a psa 7 got 900 recently on a best offer. so they are incredibly inconsistent which is why im taking offers. i stuck it on ebay with a bin of 700 with best offers because i figure if someone is willing to pay a ton more then average for them then they might as well buy mine lol

That's the right way to do it and given the right time,you may be surprised at the offer you get and will be happy selling it for that price. Economy might make it difficult but at least it's not something that will decrease over time so you definitely have that going for ya ;)

I am a member of the Topps Forum,and you talk about the Wild West of forums !!,..Drama City I use to call it,..I do miss a few regs there I will admit,..
Chances are that all the peeps that were hijacking your thread probably don't have the Ryan card you had offered,..Sorry about their luck I say!!
.I've been on the internet for about 10 years now,forums,chat rooms,..I've become what I would describe as "Internet Hardened",..I tend to blow off the negativity quickly,keeps me from lowering myself to their standards,..

Hang in there,but,probably won't be the last time it will happen,..as said before some weak peeps tend to act a little more differently on the internet,they don't have to worry about someone getting in their face,.

Clint

Last edited:
I am a member of the Topps Forum,and you talk about the Wild West of forums !!,..Drama City I use to call it,..I do miss a few regs there I will admit,..
Chances are that all the peeps that were hijacking your thread probably don't have the Ryan card you had offered,..Sorry about their luck I say!!
.I've been on the internet for about 10 years now,forums,chat rooms,..I've become what I would describe as "Internet Hardened",..I tend to blow off the negativity quickly,keeps me from lowering myself to their standards,..

Hang in there,probably won't be the last time it will happen,..

Clint

I used to be hardened to stuff like that back in the day then i left the hobby and online trading forums for 3-4 years so i guess that softened me up lol.

I learned about The Bench while I was on the Beckett boards. I stayed at Beckett for less than a week (just didn't feel comfortable there), once I got to The Bench, I never looked back. It took me almost a year to complete an initial trade, but never looked back!