Why is it getting so hard to find people to make trades with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Probably the main reason is the cost of mailing cards......bubble envelopes has gone up about 5 times in the last 8 years. Use to be 90 cent, $1.14, $1.54, $1.75, $2.52, $2.54. Plus about a year ago the postage for shipping outside of the USA went crazy!....Its about three times the bubble envelope cost! Thank god ...we still have the PWE which is current about 71 cent. So most people don't want to do small trades because of the cost. Best regards, David

Probably the main reason is the cost of mailing cards......bubble envelopes has gone up about 5 times in the last 8 years. Use to be 90 cent, $1.14, $1.54, $1.75, $2.52, $2.54. Plus about a year ago the postage for shipping outside of the USA went crazy!....Its about three times the bubble envelope cost! Thank god ...we still have the PWE which is current about 71 cent. So most people don't want to do small trades because of the cost. Best regards, David

you can buy bulk (500) for about $.09 each on feebay. I purchase the 000

you can buy bulk (500) for about $.09 each on feebay. I purchase the 000
I know that....but there made in China or other countries.....I prefer buying USA mail product. More costly... but helps our workers. Best regards, David. PS I normally buy the 200 counts.

I am enjoying this thread! I have a lot of the same feeling as what seems like the majority of folks.

I can't remember who it is, but in their signature, they have their trading goal along the lines of "I want to take cards I don't need and trade them for cards I DO need" - which to me is a perfect summation of the hobby.

I am always happy to trade a little in someone elses favor if I am getting cards that I need, but there seem to be a lot of requests to trade $10/$12/$20 "hot" cards/players for multiple $2/$3 inserts, etc. It feels like to me, the hobby is evolving backwards to the 90's when more people had goals of hitting the big $$ insert and making money than actually taking the time to build sets, build teams, build a player, IE, an actual collection.

Just my two cents.

Sorry that I haven't gotten back sooner. I was hoping for more of a Cubs/Cardinals bulk trade. I'm pretty sure I've sent you my Cardinals have list in the past. If you want to look it over, I can send it again, but it's no great shakes and for someone like you it's likely all cards you already have.

Sorry that I haven't gotten back sooner. I was hoping for more of a Cubs/Cardinals bulk trade. I'm pretty sure I've sent you my Cardinals have list in the past. If you want to look it over, I can send it again, but it's no great shakes and for someone like you it's likely all cards you already have.

Yea go ahead and send it to me pm and I'll check again.

Here's the small list...

http://www.thebenchtrading.com/showthread.php/428437-St-Louis-Cardinals-for-trade?highlight=

I also have a few Panini stickers from the late 80's and early 90's, a Publications International team set, the following 71 Topps:
4 Davalillo Cardinals
185 Javier Cardinals
257 Briles Cardinals

and 1966 Topps 243 Briles Cardinals

The only thing I could probably use is the Panini stickers.
The only ones I have are these:
1988 Panini Stickers – 385
1991 Panini – 28

I have the following Panini:

88 x1 381 384 391 392 394 396
90: 195 216 335 336 337 342 343 344 381
91: 33 35 38

I also found:
1984 Donruss All Star McGee#2
1981 Topps Scratchoffs Panel Simmons/Easler/Martin
1981 Topps Scratchoffs Panel Simmons/Valentine/Howe
1981 Topps Scratchoffs Panel Foster/Cruz/Reitz

I went through your tradelists and came up with the following. Let me know what Cardinals you need and which of the cards below you can spare. Post up when you're finished and I can have the Cardinals in the mail on Monday.

92 Pinnacle 136 Grace
95 Stadium Club 174 Sosa
95 Stadium Club 558 Perez
79 Topps 551 Franks
56 Topps 314 Landrith
74 Topps 38 Kessinger
74 Topps 110 Williams
74 Topps 136 Reuschel
74 Topps 185 Cardenal
74 Topps 211 Cubs Team
74 Topps 258 Morales
74 Topps 319 Hundley
74 Topps 452 Hiser
74 Topps 528 Bonham
74 Topps 616 Gura
74 Topps 656 Garrett

I have the following Panini:

88 x1 381 384 391 392 394 396
90: 195 216 335 336 337 342 343 344 381
91: 33 35 38

I also found:
1984 Donruss All Star McGee#2
1981 Topps Scratchoffs Panel Simmons/Easler/Martin
1981 Topps Scratchoffs Panel Simmons/Valentine/Howe
1981 Topps Scratchoffs Panel Foster/Cruz/Reitz

I went through your tradelists and came up with the following. Let me know what Cardinals you need and which of the cards below you can spare. Post up when you're finished and I can have the Cardinals in the mail on Monday.

92 Pinnacle 136 Grace
95 Stadium Club 174 Sosa
95 Stadium Club 558 Perez
79 Topps 551 Franks
56 Topps 314 Landrith
74 Topps 38 Kessinger
74 Topps 110 Williams
74 Topps 136 Reuschel
74 Topps 185 Cardenal
74 Topps 211 Cubs Team
74 Topps 258 Morales
74 Topps 319 Hundley
74 Topps 452 Hiser
74 Topps 528 Bonham
74 Topps 616 Gura
74 Topps 656 Garrett

Funny how no one looks at my vintage in forever and then in one week two traders both want my old Cubs cards. Luckily I had some doubles in my '74 cards or I wouldn't have any Cubs vintage left for you.
I can use everything you listed in the last post. I'll post it up now.
Thanks a lot for digging and thanks again for the Cardinals help.
LMK if I can get you anything else.
Eric

Eric - I feel your pain as well. I don't trade as much as I used to and a lot of it is because of the points you have made. Doesn't matter the site, if I want to trade for some set needs guys always seem to want the hot RCs in return. Sorry but I cant trade my $80 Trout RC for $80 in commons I can purchase for $5.

I'll take a look at your site and send you a PM, hopefully we can make a deal!

Eric

Eric, I think that we run into issues at this time of year. Holidays, no baseball to watch or players to follow, and the cost of trading. The best thing about The Bench was the willingness of our members to make smaller trades to help other with their set needs. Some are no longer willing to do so. The traffic here is a little slower than other sites, but look at the content over at BO. Entertaining but not conducive to trading. Everyone there just wants to sell, mostly for top $$.

Just keep up the posts and you will find people willing to help. Look at how many trades you are working on just from this thread!

Good luck with your collection and keep up the great posts.

Boy isn't it crazy how I was bitching about not making any trades, and just by putting up a post about it, I wound up making some great trades with a bunch of great traders left here on the Bench!!
I do like the Bench a lot more than most sites and have met a lot of great traders over the years and I'm still meeting new ones.
Happy New Year to all The Benchies out there!!!
KEEP ON TRADING!!!

Your absolutely right on the Postage issue!!! I super-collect Roger Clemens and for the last 24+yrs I've used PWE's with minimal postage. I've got 3300 different Clemens so, I would imagine I've done some 2000+mailings. If I had started this collection 5yrs ago, the mailing fees would cost me a fortune! Everyone wants to charge $2.49 to mail 1 card!!!????!!! I cannot buy a $2 card for $1+$2.49 postage!!!!!! If I'm able to make a bid on a $2,3,4 card I will reduce my bid by $2(unnecessary postage) which will cause my bid to be rejected. Why would anybody buy a $2(bv) card for $4.49???? Collectors need to be aware that the PWE is cost effective and it works!!!!! I have only ONCE, in all these years, received a damaged envelope and that was because it was too thick(card was not damaged). 1 card in a PWE -security envelope- with 1 sheet of paper to cover the card in a plastic cover is not too thick for machineable mail. As many have stated, I too believe its greed when it comes to postage. I've asked sellers if I could send them an ASAP or if they could reduce the postage and use an PWE and they simply say, no! Also, it never ceases to amaze me when I receive 1 card in a bubble pack mailer with $2.49 postage!! They also had to pay for the mailer!!! We need to make everyone we buy or trade with aware of this as I'm sure there are those that simply don't know. Lets keep Baseball Collecting a Hobby and keep costs to a minimum for all! Rich

I am doing some card housecleaning and found a couple of Cardinals:
2011 Topps Update #52 Lance Berkman black 34/60
2010 Topps AS-MH Matt Holliday GU Jersey card (didn't see this on your want list, but figured I would throw it out there anyway)

Could definitely use some of the vintage you have listed on your site. Thanks.

Your absolutely right on the Postage issue!!! I super-collect Roger Clemens and for the last 24+yrs I've used PWE's with minimal postage. I've got 3300 different Clemens so, I would imagine I've done some 2000+mailings. If I had started this collection 5yrs ago, the mailing fees would cost me a fortune! Everyone wants to charge $2.49 to mail 1 card!!!????!!! I cannot buy a $2 card for $1+$2.49 postage!!!!!! If I'm able to make a bid on a $2,3,4 card I will reduce my bid by $2(unnecessary postage) which will cause my bid to be rejected. Why would anybody buy a $2(bv) card for $4.49???? Collectors need to be aware that the PWE is cost effective and it works!!!!! I have only ONCE, in all these years, received a damaged envelope and that was because it was too thick(card was not damaged). 1 card in a PWE -security envelope- with 1 sheet of paper to cover the card in a plastic cover is not too thick for machineable mail. As many have stated, I too believe its greed when it comes to postage. I've asked sellers if I could send them an ASAP or if they could reduce the postage and use an PWE and they simply say, no! Also, it never ceases to amaze me when I receive 1 card in a bubble pack mailer with $2.49 postage!! They also had to pay for the mailer!!! We need to make everyone we buy or trade with aware of this as I'm sure there are those that simply don't know. Lets keep Baseball Collecting a Hobby and keep costs to a minimum for all! Rich

You are exactly right, Rich. I love doing PWE trades but not many people want to trade that way. I also love doing big trades but they are hard to come by also.

I am doing some card housecleaning and found a couple of Cardinals:
2011 Topps Update #52 Lance Berkman black 34/60
2010 Topps AS-MH Matt Holliday GU Jersey card (didn't see this on your want list, but figured I would throw it out there anyway)

Could definitely use some of the vintage you have listed on your site. Thanks.

I don't really need any more Holliday GU cards (could really use an auto though).
I can use the Berkman black card. I might trade some vintage for it, just not the 50's cards.
LMK what you were looking at.
Thanks - Eric

Sorry guys.....the postage rate is going up again on January 17, 2016. Best regards, David PS that's about 6 in 10 years.

Thanks for the great news, David, just what I needed to get some more trades going. Seems like they raise it every few months.
My next post is gonna be: Postal rates are going up, So let's make some huge trades to make it worth it! and in my sig. it will say - LARGE TRADES ONLY

I don't really need any more Holliday GU cards (could really use an auto though).
I can use the Berkman black card. I might trade some vintage for it, just not the 50's cards.
LMK what you were looking at.
Thanks - Eric

If I had a Holliday AU, would definitely put it out there for offers... PM sent regarding vintage. Thanks.

I have about 10 cardinals auto/inserts for trade...In exchange for base or refractor twins cards at least 4 to 6 for the trade. Best regards, David