will you still buy Upper deck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bongo870

Pro
5.00 star(s)
I used to love buying upper deck. They were cheap and a lot of the 19.99 boxes retail came with a GU. but now they cant put the name of the team on the card and on the box it says something like "not affiliated with MLBA or anything of MLB" or something like that. That scares me. MLBA cant be watching them.
I don't think I will buy another UD product again and that makes me mad.....

I bought a box of 2010 UD baseball...will be my last....total junk.

I may buy football stuff from time to time if they have anything worth buying...I just bought 2 boxes of SP Authentic and they were horrible, the patch autos all say "event worn" on them and not game used...and the way it's worded on the back of the card, it doesn't even say the player on the card ever wore the "event worn" jersey? It just says "You have received a card with an piece of jersey that was certified to UD to be "event worn" and also an authentic autograph of XXXX"....so it doesn't say worn by XXXX and authentic autorgraph of XXXXX....it's very vague...which tells me that they are once again, trying to pull a fast one...other than the autographs, the cards to me are worthless.

SO...that's pretty much the end of the line for me and UD...I keep saying it, but after this patch deal in the SP Authentic, I'm all but done with the evil empire....still waiting to see what sort of replacement they send me on my 2008 redemption they've had for a year as well.

I wonder if this means that Griffey will have a Topps Auto? That would be cool.

I doubt it...they are still MLBPA affiliated and Jr. is one of thier few remaining big names signed to exclusives...if they have any money left in the bank after paying Konami they would have to spend it on Jordan, Griffey Jr., Tiger...and the rest...if those guys part ways with UD, turn out the lights.

I doubt it...they are still MLBPA affiliated and Jr. is one of thier few remaining big names signed to exclusives...if they have any money left in the bank after paying Konami they would have to spend it on Jordan, Griffey Jr., Tiger...and the rest...if those guys part ways with UD, turn out the lights.

are they? the box said the cards inside are not affiliated with MLBPA.

I was NEVER a fan of Upperdeck cards. I picked up a few packs of 2010 baseball, but I won't be building the set.

It would be a shame if they go out of business. I've liked the goudey releases and the 09 on-card Sweet Spot autographs which included Wieters, Porcello, Beckham and Hanson has a checklist made by someone who knows what collectors are looking for. While fewer cards can't hurt the industry, little competition might. Too bad UD execs. got greedy.

If you like the cards buy them, if you don't don't. Why does it matter if they are not licensed? What is scary about it to you?

What scares me is that now they dont have the MLBA backing them up. So they can pump fake stuff out and not care. It seems like the MLBA was watching or had a small hand in there with Tiopps and Upper deck. Now? UD can buy anything and slap a jersey on there and say it is GU and doesnt have to prove it.

I have really enjoyed UD's base sets since they came out in 89. The photographywas stunning and some of the motion cards, like the Ryan card with the 3 motions of his pitch, were pretty innovative. I have not purchased any 2010 UD cards, but the scans that I have seen have turned my opinion 180*. The way they are covering up the logos or showing the pictures in a certain way so you can't see the logos, and the team names are not the team names, just the team's city, ugh, just not right.
To answer the OP's question, after 20 years of collecting UD and putting up with all of thier little idiocincrecies (SP), I am done. Sorry to Chris Carlin, who I think is the only one in that company with the guts to stand up and take it head on from the ordinary collector. It sucks that some good people have gotten hosed by some pretty bad corporate decisions over there at UD.

Sorry, but for me it's back to JUST the Topps base set for me. I can't stand thier higher end sets like I used to like UD's higher end stuff. I guess I'll just start saving some serious $$ this year.

End rant, thanks for the long read.

I have to disagree. For 2010, I think the UD design is sharp and clean. Sure they can't show logos, but I don't notice it as much as I thought I would. The Topps design seems rather ordinary. And I really don't care for some of the inserts. When will they ditch Topps Town? and Cards Your Mom Threw Out ... how many times are they going to resurface previous years' designs? I wish they would lose some of the inserts and increase the seeding for the #'d golds.

The bottom line is that competition is always a good thing for the consumer. It doesn't have to come from UD, but you need more than one card company.

I have bought 2010 and will buy more, depending on the sets they put out. I'm pretty much done with base Upper Deck, but if another more exciting product comes out, I'll probably shell out the cash.
-Casey

I have to disagree. For 2010, I think the UD design is sharp and clean. Sure they can't show logos, but I don't notice it as much as I thought I would. The Topps design seems rather ordinary. And I really don't care for some of the inserts. When will they ditch Topps Town? and Cards Your Mom Threw Out ... how many times are they going to resurface previous years' designs? I wish they would lose some of the inserts and increase the seeding for the #'d golds.

The bottom line is that competition is always a good thing for the consumer. It doesn't have to come from UD, but you need more than one card company.

I completely agree with you here. Man I miss Donruss/DLP.

I also agree with you on the Topps inserts. I'm not a big fan of what they do, which is why I am just doing the base set.

Thanks,

Only buying current boxes from Topps and Panini...mostly a few packs from UD. UD is being taken to court by MLB in April...for allowing cards from their new products to carry logos of the MLB teams on a few of the cards. UD thought they could get away with these minor infractions *.... I agree that it's scary because who knows what else they doing? Chris and others at UD are doing a great job! However, its the main individuals in charge who are hurting the image of company. Best regards, David *check out the book cardsharks!

Last edited:
Glass half empty/half full. While some say the photos are weird because they can't show the team names, how many of us get the opportunity to see players shot from unique angles? I have not seen the new UD products, but if they try, they can turn this into a unique spin on photography. Remember those early 90's ProLine football cards that had the players photographed in street clothes, etc.? I thought they were great - something different. Maybe UD will attempt something similar....something that hasn't been done before. Just keep an open mind when buying their products. Let us remember that it was not UD's choice to be left out in the cold, it was MLB's choice to remove them. Therefore, if we stop buying UD, we validate MLB's decision, and they will continue to have the upperhand on the market. If we continue to buy, we show MLB that they can't decide what we should and should not collect. They will then see all of the royalties they are missing out on, and we might even get to see UD and other defunct brands back in action!

Tim

Over the years I have focused more on UD products. I always liked the SP Legendary Cuts line, Legends, Hall of Famers, Baseball heroes, etc. When Donruss/Playoff/Leaf lost out in 2005 I reverted primarily to UD. But their customer service has been horrible the past few years and I was really considering cutting back. Then they lost out on Lou Gehrig so I haven't bought anything but a 2009 Legendary Cuts product since then. I can't say I will miss UD when they are completely gone but I would like to get my redemptions first ;)

Dewayne

My buying habits won't change no matter what the manufacturers do, however they don't get any of my money anyway. ALL of my money for cards/memorabilia go to secondary market dealers/collectors.

The lottery mentality that once sucked me into buying packs has soured me on buying those same packs. Had the prices stayed reasonable, I may still be buying. However, to add those May, Aaron and Williams autos or those Ruth and Cobb cuts, the makers had to spend some serious coin. That jacked up pack prices to the point of ridiculousness. I can't even warrant buying a $4 pack, when I get 4 cards, of which none I would spend a $1 on! Not to mention the packs that are $10, $25 and $100 each!!! I'll never land that sweet Ruth cut, but I will spend less in the long run.

I will buy my singles and be content.

Well the rookie card is the basic foundation of card collecting. That being said no rookie cards equals I won't be buying any UD baseball this year. I would buy UD hockey products though.