You Gotta check out COMC!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaiian BamBam

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
I have been buying on COMC (checkoutmycards.com) for about a month now and I have to say it is an AMAZING site for hard to find cards, set builders and those lookign for good deals. as, I have picked up a ton of dodger autos for my PC and vintage cards for really, really cheap(alot cheaper than ebay, for sure) so if you havent done so, check out COMC. I have been collecting for almost 40 years and buying on EBAY for the past 12 years and checkoutmycards.com is one of the best sites for buying that I have seen in a long time. Hopefully that site will help some guys out here with their sets and PCs.
elbert

True

Ive been doing the same and got some amazing deals, I think if it continues to grow like it has it's going to beat ebay in terms of deals!

yes, i agree with you completely. i was with ebay when it first started, literally from day one and i see the same exact thing with checkoutmycards. trust me guys, this site is doing great things and will be the next EBAY. i now always check, comc first before ebay. for my vintage dodgers, i can get them on comc for $1.00 each! my autos pc, i pick up autos for half of what i can buy them for on ebay. for the gu cards i need, the same thing. i hope they keep doing what they are doing on comc, because they might just have discovered the next best thing when it comes to sports card buying. ive found as a buyer that dealers there almost always accept all offers that i sent that were reasonable.

It will never be the "next eBay." eBay is too big and too established. Will it still some market share? Sure, it already has slightly. But to call it the next eBay is a bit overzealous.

remember i was with ebay on day one when it was just starting out and VERY small. ebay grew it didnt start out as a mega place. i think most people forget that. i see comc growing the same EXACT way as ebay did. again ebay didnt start oit big or established it grew over time.

so what you are saying is it is a great place to buy, but it must suck to sell on there if people can realize higher prices selling on Ebay? If that is the case it seems like it would not take the sellers long to figure that out and move back to ebay. How is the security on COMC? I admit I have never looked at it. Thanks Pat

I don't really think it would suck to sell there compared to ebay. Yes, you probably wouldn't see premium sale prices on "hot" cards there or new product (these usually aren't listed on COMC anyway because sellers know this), but you're going to get a much higher sale volume on something like vintage cards in Excellent condition. Cards like that often sit on ebay for months and end up never selling. On COMC, at a lower price, they're off there in a couple days and you actually see some money instead of wasting your time.

remember i was with ebay on day one when it was just starting out and VERY small. ebay grew it didnt start out as a mega place. i think most people forget that. i see comc growing the same EXACT way as ebay did. again ebay didnt start oit big or established it grew over time.

agree 100% with sportsnut.....you have to keep in mind , for ebay , sports memorabilia makes up a VERY TINY portion of the total package.....not saying it will be around forever , but it has a MUCH broader foundation that will ensure it's longterm stability far more than a niche site....

so what you are saying is it is a great place to buy, but it must suck to sell on there if people can realize higher prices selling on Ebay? If that is the case it seems like it would not take the sellers long to figure that out and move back to ebay. How is the security on COMC?

and THIS is EXACTLY what i thought when i read the OP.....

if the place truly does offer sales consistently below ebay pricing , i dare say that most of the people who would continue to sell there over a place they know would generate higher sale prices would be those who for some reason are not able to sell on ebay (which i'd take as a glaring warning).....

I'm not sure the site can take all the credit. It is just a platform to sell items. If I am correct in my assumption/knowledge of the site, COMC doesn't own any of the cards. They are basically providing a fee based for sellers to sell their cards.

The key to success is the sellers using the site are pricing their items at what you feel is a "deal" price point. If the sellers were to ask more for their items, not be willing to accept offers like they do now, etc...then it's just another overpriced card selling site. The ability to combine items into a single package is another huge benefit, but as discussed before, it does add up when you start buying a lot of cards.

I know if I were wanting to sell low end stuff, it sounds like the place to go. The worst part about selling (scanning, posting and shipping) is all handled by them!

Really? I registered on ebay in April 1998 and I know that was not day 1, as people had been telling me about the site for several months prior and I was apparently too stubborn or uninterested to check it out. That was almost 13.5 years ago. You said you have been buying for 12 years. That would not be day 1.

I'm not sure exactly when ebay actually went live as a registered user auction site, but their copyright indicates 1995 "Copyright © 1995-2011 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.".

i was with ebay when it first started, literally from day

mrmopar..i started BUYING on ebay 12 years, however i have been SELLING on ebay since either 1995 or 1996.so I have been a registered member on ebay from the start, its just i started buying 12 years ago.

Last edited:
The only downside to selling on COMC is the cash-out fee. If you sell $500 worth of your cards on your account, they will send you $400 and keep the other 20%. That is a bit high for me, so I haven't started selling yet. You can however, take the 500 and spend it on other cards on the site without fees aside from shipping to you. You can get gift cards to blowout cards (for wax/cases) at a discount between the cash out fee and no cost.

From a buyers perspective, it's great. You can buy cards and they will hold them indefinitely. I usually build up a decent sized lot, then ship the whole lot at once (bulk shipping has worked well so far, no condition issues)

Once they finally get their act together and allow for au/gu specific searches, I will be more excited as well.

yes, after thinking about it 20% is a very expensive fee to pay.

i do have one question for those that sell on there. it costs 20 cents per card to list the crad. then how do people make money there that sell cards for 15-20 cents when it costs 20 cents to list plus 20%, it seems like they would be losing money if they sold cards for only 15-20 cents each. am i missing something?

i do have one question for those that sell on there. it costs 20 cents per card to list the crad. then how do people make money there that sell cards for 15-20 cents when it costs 20 cents to list plus 20%, it seems like they would be losing money if they sold cards for only 15-20 cents each. am i missing something?

Im pretty sure those cards listed like that are bought in port sells.

I will stand up for COMC on their fees. I am a fairly big seller there and here is the flaw in the logic that the 20% fee is too high. On ebay, you are charged the fee when your item sells. There is no way around that. On COMC, you are charged the fee only when you cash out. So, what that means is that you can actually increase your profit and decrease your fees by reinvesting.

EXAMPLE

1) You sell a card for $10 on ebay and get charged $2 in fees. You end up with $8. If you want to buy another card to "flip" you only have $8 to spend.

2) You sell a card for $10 on COMC and want to "flip" another card. You still have $10 to spend. So if you can flip another card for 50% profit you now have $15 from your original sell. Cashing out would leave you with $12.

Now, lets go back to the ebay example. You spend your $8 and look to get the same 50% return. That leaves you at $12 plus you pay the fee AGAIN. This will bring you down to $9.60. The more you do this on COMC the more you make. The more you do this on ebay the more you pay.

So, in summary, if you are wanting to buy and sell like most people, you will come out WAY ahead on COMC. You pay the fee once compared to every transaction on ebay. The more you flip and reinvest, the more you make.

If I posted my actual profit that I made last month most people wouldn't believe me. Just like with anything else you just need to learn how to maximize its use. I couldn't be any happier as a seller. Anyone that likes to sell is missing out by not giving them a chance.

Last edited:
I have been buying on COMC (checkoutmycards.com) for about a month now and I have to say it is an AMAZING site for hard to find cards, set builders and those lookign for good deals. as, I have picked up a ton of dodger autos for my PC and vintage cards for really, really cheap(alot cheaper than ebay, for sure) so if you havent done so, check out COMC. I have been collecting for almost 40 years and buying on EBAY for the past 12 years and checkoutmycards.com is one of the best sites for buying that I have seen in a long time. Hopefully that site will help some guys out here with their sets and PCs.
elbert

I must be missing something. I head over there, check out 1996 Leaf Hats Off, I see:
Ken Griffey BV $15 ask price $15
Barry Larkin BV $6 ask price $5.99
no Cal Ripken listed, and the others are pretty much at ebay prices

Maybe it was just a bad example

So I start looking for Topps Pack Wars foil parallels
Carlos Pena BV $6 ask $4.95
Paul Konerko BV $6 ask $10 :confused:
Aubrey Huff BV $4 ask $4
Preston Wilson BV $4 ask $3.50

Let's try 1996 Leaf Gold Leaf Stars
Albert Belle BV $8 ask $4 getting better, except it just sold on ebay for $2.51 shipped
Mike Piazza same thing BV $30, ask $10, ebay sale $5.51

1991 Donruss Elite
none listed

1984 Fleer Update Puckett
none listed

1963 Topps Killebrew #500 4 copies from $68.97-$140, all 4 look like they've got significant corner wear for a card that books $150 in NrMT

1982 Topps blackless
no listings

1994 Signature Rookies Draft autographs
(note, apparently these have gone up since 2007 because my Beckett Plus from then shows common autos at $1.50, minor stars @ $2, they list BV of $5)
JT Snow BV $15 (seriously? my old guide shows $3) Ask $5, ebay had no bids on one at $5.24 delivered

I must be missing something. I head over there, check out 1996 Leaf Hats Off, I see:
Ken Griffey BV $15 ask price $15
Barry Larkin BV $6 ask price $5.99
no Cal Ripken listed, and the others are pretty much at ebay prices

Its a great place to up pick some cards, its not the best place in the world. It has a lot of similarities like ebay. Throw an offer in, you never know... I really hate when sellers counter with 10 cents off their asking price. For example, card bv's $8, they want $4, i offer $2 they counter with $3.90. Thats as stupid as someone on ebay looking to sell a common A&G jersey or bat for $5.99 with free shipping, not going to happen. I dont spend alot of time on there but have picked up some great deals.