1969 Cubs store model gloves & bats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony Kozelichki

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Two years ago I posted this, and thought I'd update try again.

I am looking for information concerning store model gloves and bats of members of the 69 Cubs.

I have the following bats: Banks, Santo, Williams

I have the following gloves: Banks, Santo, Williams, Jenkins, Beckert, Kessinger, Abernathy, Regan, Gene Oliver, Hands, Holtzman, Hundley, Hall and Colborn.

I am looking for: Jim Hickman Spalding glove

Are there other store model gloves and bats that I am missing from my wantlist and, if so, what are the manufacturers? Does anyone have Bushing's book listing bats or Phillips book on gloves who could help me?

Last edited:
Tonight, I discovered a Jim Colborn model glove made by Hutch and later by Reach (which I think was the same company, but the two don't look alike). That's another one to add to my wantlist.

I was wondering about Oscar Gamble. Did he have a model glove during his days with the Yankees? How about Joe Niekro?

Who made the bats and a majority of the gloves? Also, where are you finding images of these items? It's an interesting pursuit you have going..........I remember in the 1970's the Reds used to have a SGA of full sized bats, "bat day", that were player specific........Broke all mine within a week...........Don't recall who manufactured them............Please keep us updated!

Thanks...........Mike

Mike,

I have Louisville Sluggers from Williams and Banks and an Adirondack from Santo. All date from the 60's-early 70's.

As for gloves...

Santo: 4 different Wilson and a Montgomery Ward
Banks: 2 Wilson (1 fielder and 1 1st baseman), 2 Medalist (1 a catcher's mitt) and 1 Sunshine (very early model)
Abernathy: Hollander Trio
Beckert: Wilson
Hall: Wilson
Hands: Rawlings
Holtzman: Rawlings
Hundley: MacGregor
Jenkins: Rawlings
Kessinger: Spalding
Oliver: Rawlings
Regan: Hutch
Williams: Rawlings

I have had personally signed Williams, Kessinger, Jenkins, Hundley, Hands and Beckert. 2 of the Santos and 2 of Banks are also signed, including the Sunshine.

Images of the ones I need are generally found on Ebay, where a Hickman came up for auction earlier this month and I didn't know about it. The Colborn is listed there now, but the description says it has a musty smell, so I'm shying away from it.

Last edited:
That musty smell in a glove may be able to be gotten rid of by using some bounce dryer sheets. If you can pick it up for the right price and it fits into your collection, that is an idea. Bounce dryer sheets will pull a lot of odors out of a lot of things. Just a thought. Good luck!!