1975 Topps miscuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaybo374

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I was recently looking over my 1975 Topps set and noticed that there seems to have been a trend that year of the cards being miscut. By miscut, I don't mean the picture goes off to a different card either vertically or horizontally. I mean that they seem be cut diagonally. The edges are not square but rather something like at 100/80 degree angles. Even the slightest miscut makes me turn my head a bit to compensate for this.

Anyone else notice this or head read anything about this?

Jay

I think the flaw you are talking about is called Diamond Cut. I can't say I have noticed this on the 1975s any more than other issues from that era. Obviously chipping seems to be a big problem on those due to the color borders.

One thing I have noticed is that 1977 and 1974 Topps baseball cards seem to be on a lower quality (softer) cardboard stock than on other similar issues. Again this may not actuallybe the case but more a luck of the draw thing.

I think the flaw you are talking about is called Diamond Cut. I can't say I have noticed this on the 1975s any more than other issues from that era. Obviously chipping seems to be a big problem on those due to the color borders.

One thing I have noticed is that 1977 and 1974 Topps baseball cards seem to be on a lower quality (softer) cardboard stock than on other similar issues. Again this may not actuallybe the case but more a luck of the draw thing.

Interesting...

I don't recall seeing the diamond cut for any other year. As you said it might just be the luck of the draw.

Either way this is one of my favorite sets.

Interesting...

I don't recall seeing the diamond cut for any other year. As you said it might just be the luck of the draw.

plenty throughout the years for sure , and i dare say much more prolific prior to 1989 ...... i think the two sets in which i personally dealt with this more than any other were 1986 topps football (9 of the 12 jerry rice rookies i pulled from packs were severely diamond cut) and 2000 fleer showcase football...

not EXACTLY the same thing , but 1995 ultra baseball had 2 similar issues : many cards had the top border cut properly (perpendicular to the sides) but the bottom only cut diagonally., while many more had the foil stamping on the front placed on an angle instead of straight....both of those issues gave the same bad appearance of a miscut card along the bottom border....

I've seen some wantlists noting "no diamond cut's, please". 1975 does seem to have lots of issues with miscuts and diamond cuts. I've also seen several 1972's with the diamond cut. I believe those 2 years are the most common I've seen of them.