20 Questions contest - Round 5 LIVE...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

question 19....

Was this player a member of one of the following two teams (as pictured on the card)? Oakland A's, California Angels?

Thanks.

Tom

YES

recap time :
questions 1-19 :
1 - mrmopar - topps product ? yes
2 - grapler135s - baseball ? yes
3 - mm1sub - before 2000 ? yes
4 - mr.js36 - rookie card ? no
5 - Jaybo374 - 1980's ? no
6 - David K. - after 1980 ? no
7 - mj23bullsfan - hall of famer ? no
8 - jonmorine - after 1970 ? no
9 - Kirbyfan34 - bv over $1 ? yes
10 - duck6700j - pitcher ? no
11 - baseball24 - pictured with a current AL team ? yes
12 - dragonslayer913 - played outfield ? yes
13 - bonzomoretti - red a team color ? no
14 - sinocc - pictured with a current AL central team ? no
15 - cincikid - pictured with a current AL west team ? yes
16 - criollos - from 1968 topps set ? no
17 - gwynn_fan - played in world series ? yes
18 - mightydon - from 1964 topps set ? no
19 - bigwallastyle - player pictured with oakland a's or california angels ? yes
20 - ????

and the 9 incorrect guesses made so far :
1 - metsman1986 - 1965 topps 110 ron santo
2 - duck6700j - 1965 topps embossed 2 ron fairly
3 - Kirbyfan34 - 1996 topps mickey mantle last day
4 - sinocc - 1967 topps 25 elston howard
5 - Jaybo374 - 1969 topps 371 sal bando
6 - mrmopar - 1969 topps rick monday
7 - bonzomoretti - 1969 bert campaneris
8 - Dalberov - 1969 topps reggie jackson
9 - livi11 - 1969 topps 105 rick monday

please remember when guessing , i need a set name and a card number along with the player name.....i will go ahead and reveal that i will NOT be choosing multi-player cards so all cards will feature only one player but there is still a chance that the player on the chosen card may be featured on other cards (all-star/league leader/record breaker subsets , inserts , parallels , etc) so that extra info is needed to distinguish exactly which one....

Last edited:
I was unclear on that question so I ignored it as a clue. Most teams nowadays have so many uniforms, variations, the colors have changed too many times. For instance, the Cardinals have incorporated navy blue into their color scheme over the last ten years. If someone asked if the Cardinals are a blue team, what would you say... I'm guessing most people would say that they are not; however, their away hats are now navy blue with just a bird on them. Point being, I'm not sure if the question pertained to currnt day, back in the 60's, was at one time but isn't now, etc. On top of that, I wouldn't know the Ang There is way too much gray area in my mind for me to use that as a factor to determine the answer.
els color scheme from every year. If you asked me, I would say the Angels were more of a white, orange and yellow team with the Halo logo and the orange A (at least I thought it was orange) but I could be totally off as I don't pay that much attention to AL West Coast games over the course of the season.

After saying this, Claude, can you give some more definition to the yes you answered? If we are counting the Angels as a "red" team, then clearly the answer is an A's outfilder from the 60's and we should get his with no problem. If the Angels are not a red team, then we had have halved the chances of answering correctly.

Tom

If I may butt-in, the Angels do have red as one of their colors...no?

I was unclear on that question so I ignored it as a clue. Most teams nowadays have so many uniforms, variations, the colors have changed too many times. For instance, the Cardinals have incorporated navy blue into their color scheme over the last ten years. If someone asked if the Cardinals are a blue team, what would you say... I'm guessing most people would say that they are not; however, their away hats are now navy blue with just a bird on them. Point being, I'm not sure if the question pertained to currnt day, back in the 60's, was at one time but isn't now, etc. On top of that, I wouldn't know the Ang There is way too much gray area in my mind for me to use that as a factor to determine the answer.
els color scheme from every year. If you asked me, I would say the Angels were more of a white, orange and yellow team with the Halo logo and the orange A (at least I thought it was orange) but I could be totally off as I don't pay that much attention to AL West Coast games over the course of the season.

After saying this, Claude, can you give some more definition to the yes you answered? If we are counting the Angels as a "red" team, then clearly the answer is an A's outfilder from the 60's and we should get his with no problem. If the Angels are not a red team, then we had have halved the chances of answering correctly.

Tom

i didnt like that question either because virtually every team has so many different uniforms with assorted lettering , piping , patches , etc...

that said , when i said NO to the "red in uni" question , i considered ONLY the team pictured on the card....specifically , i did an image search of that team's uniforms from a 2-year period (the year of the card itself and the previous season during which the card's photo was possibly taken)....i saw no shade of red at all on any part of those uniforms....

as for your specific query regarding the angels colors....i've always considered their colors to include (at least some shade of) red....

Thanks for clarifying.

Tom

i didnt like that question either because virtually every team has so many different uniforms with assorted lettering , piping , patches , etc...

that said , when i said NO to the "red in uni" question , i considered ONLY the team pictured on the card....specifically , i did an image search of that team's uniforms from a 2-year period (the year of the card itself and the previous season during which the card's photo was possibly taken)....i saw no shade of red at all on any part of those uniforms....

as for your specific query regarding the angels colors....i've always considered their colors to include (at least some shade of) red....

I'm guessing 1969 Topps Deckle Edge #14 Rick Monday.

you got it....

1969toppsdeckleedgerickmonday.jpg

narrowing it down wasn't TOO hard , but i know some questions basically repeated previous ones :

1 - mrmopar - topps product ? yes here we know it's from topps...

2 - grapler135s - baseball ? yes here we learn it's baseball so we now know it must be from 1951-2012....

3 - mm1sub - before 2000 ? yes here we narrow it down a bit to 1951-1999...

4 - mr.js36 - rookie card ? no here we learn it's not a RC...not a lot of help though if it HAD been a rookie card it would meant a great deal...

5 - Jaybo374 - 1980's ? no here we eliminate a decade limiting the possible years to 1951-79 and 1990-99

6 - David K. - after 1980 ? no here we eliminate the 90's so now we're down to a topps non-RC from 1951-1979

7 - mj23bullsfan - hall of famer ? no here we eliminate all HOFers....

8 - jonmorine - after 1970 ? no and here we cut out anything from 1971-79 leaving us with a range of 1951-1970....

9 - Kirbyfan34 - bv over $1 ? yes considering the years we are already limited to , this one probably didn't help narrow it down very much...

10 - duck6700j - pitcher ? no and now a question i expected earlier....we learn it is a position player....

11 - baseball24 - pictured with a current AL team ? yes ...another question i expected earlier cuts the possibilities in half...

12 - dragonslayer913 - played outfield ? yes ...a logical follow-up to question 10 tells us we are dealing with an outfielder....we now know we have a topps 1951-1970 non-RC of a non-HOF AL OF....i see light ...

13 - bonzomoretti - red a team color ? no already discussed

14 - sinocc - pictured with a current AL central team ? no here we eliminate 5 team (minn , clev , kc , det , cws) ....for now that would leave 9 teams (nyy , bos , balt , tor , tb , oak , sea , tex , angels)....the 1951-70 range would eliminate tor , tb , sea , and tex.....we are now down to just a few teams : nyy , bos , balt , oak , and the angels....the red uni issue allows us to delete bos and the angels....

15 - cincikid - pictured with a current AL west team ? yes another good follow-up....here we know the only options are oak , sea , tex , and the angels , but from previous clues we know we can eliminate sea , tex , and the angels.....as such , we are now looking for a 1951-1970 topps non-rc , non-hof outfielder from the oakland a's ....here we come into one issue : phil/kc/oak athletics....are they one team or three ? for the purpose of this game , i called them 3 .... oakland became a team in 1968 so the card had to be from 1968-1970....

16 - criollos - from 1968 topps set ? no ..this narrows it down to 1969 or 1970....

17 - gwynn_fan - played in world series ? yes helps a little , though not how one would expect as we'll see shortly because MOST a's from the 69-70 teams played in at least one of their world series seasons....

18 - mightydon - from 1964 topps set ? no something we already knew...

19 - bigwallastyle - player pictured with oakland a's or california angels ? yes another answer we already knew (red uni question contingent)

as of this point , we could state the following :
1969 or 1970 topps non-RC , of a non-HOF Oakland A's outfielder who played in a world series (the catch is that monday appeared in 3 WS , but all with the dodgers later in his career).....

a few questions i expected and never got :
base card ? (or insert card ?)
all star ?
still alive ? (or deceased ?)
league leader in XX category ?

mrmopar was VERY close with his random guess of 1969 topps rick monday , but he didnt go with the deckle set or number....

ANYway...congrats on nailing it....i'll be selecting a new card and prize shortly and will be starting up round 2 in just a little while....

Last edited:
well, that was fun!

i wasn't expecting deckle edge tho. from the clues i was assuming a straight topps issue.

but hey, congrats to wallawalla :)

paul

Before I asked my question (Is it from the 1968 Topps set?), I was going to guess 1968 Topps Rick Monday...........so yes, a question that was not asked (Insert?) would had helped me a lot. Very fun contest. Thanks, and looking forward to the next one.

i wasn't expecting deckle edge tho. from the clues i was assuming a straight topps issue.

paul

why ?

recall in the rules :

10 - to correctly identify the card , i will need the following information : year , brand/set (including distinguishing whether it is base card , insert , or parallel) , player(s) , and card number....for example : 2011 topps a&g black mini 215 andrew mccutchen ....if the mystery card is serially numbered , i will NOT require you to guess the correct number to win....(even i'm not that much of a hard@55 )

i saw nothing that would suggest it had to be a regular issue card...just that it was a "topps product" and then people asking about specific years or specific sets (which also means that had some asked "is it from the 1969 Topps set?" the answer would have been NO...but had they asked "is it a 1969 topps card?" the answer would have been YES - subtle but vital distinction)

as noted , i was quite surprised no one ever asked if it was a base card or an insert....figured that question would come out very early....

ANYway....round 2 is ready to go so let the game begin - again....

Thanks for the contest. These puzzles are always fun to figure out.

Tom

congrats...i'll have your prize in the mail shortly (most likely saturday) ....

i used to solve a lot of logic problems and 20 questions is pretty much that....i would like to make this a regular on-going contest if we can garner enough interest....

Thanks for the contest. I had fun with it but would have liked it to move quicker as I lost interest. Look forward to another. Peace.