3/19 returns: classic, historic and I think I have his pants!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montserratplay

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Well, my birthday came over the weekend, so today was a pretty good late present! I received the following:

1972 Vince Colbert Topps 84 Indians
1972 Vince Colbert Topps 84 Indians

I just so happened to have these two 1972 cards, so I sent them out. Mr. Colbert signed them BEAUTIFULLY in thin blue Sharpie. Vince Colbert had a short career; only three pro seasons. He played only for the Indians, both starting and pitching out of the bullpen. One of the few reasons I love living in the Internet age: I can easily tell that Vince Colbert OWNED Frank Howard. Frank Howard went 0-16 against Vince Colbert with 3 BB; it's hard to have that great a record against a good hitter. (Brooks Robinson hit .083 against him!)

2011 Sy Berger Topps History of Topps HOT3
2004 Sy Berger Topps All-Time Fan Favorites

What can you really say about Mr. Berger that hasn't been said? Perhaps I'm wrong in my analogy, but Sy Berger seems like the Thomas Jefferson of baseball cards. He didn't exactly start things all by himself, he didn't figure everything out by himself, but he played a HUGE role in creating the world as we know it. Like Jefferson did for democracy, Berger made baseball cards practical and he made them great. (Sounds like I should write a paper about that...I'm a nerd.) While Sy Berger doesn't have a single major league hit, I was pleased to remind him as to what people like us think of him; he's a BIG part of baseball history and he's brought us a lot of joy. He was there at the beginning of everything and has shaped our hobby greatly, no question. (I'm also jealous that he was such a cool figure in mid-to-late twentieth century New York City.)

1992 Mark Salas Donruss 512
1991 Mark Salas Upper Deck 205

This is officially my longest return to date. I sent Mr. Salas these cards at the end of last season...I know it was late. Mark Salas is currently in his second stint as the bullpen catcher for the White Sox. I sent the cards to...the White Sox's address. Mr. Salas is of Mexican descent, and I can't help but share this nerdy trivia from Wikipedia: Salas is one of a few major leaguers whose surname is a palindrome; the others being catcher Truck Hannah (1918-1920), third baseman Eddie Kazak (1948-1952), infielder Toby Harrah (1969-1986), pitcher Dave Otto (1987-1994), first baseman Dick Nen (1963-1970), his son, reliever Robb Nen (1993-2002), pitcher Juan Salas (2006-present), and pitcher Marino Salas (2008-present).

Most important to a Tiger fan like me: Mark Salas finished out his career with the Bengals, catching 107 games for them in their relatively-good-before-the-bad-times days of 1990/1991. He handled Jim Clancy pretty well (.600 BA), but I care most about the fact that I may or may not have bought his pants on eBay. Many months ago, I bought a pair of baseball pants on eBay that may have belonged to Mark Salas, based upon the number on the tag. The pants are really dirty, which makes sense for a catcher. I paid such a relatively reasonable amount to a seemingly reputable dealer that I won't complain if I find out the pants are a total fake, but I like thinking that I have game-used pants worn by a real Tiger on the road during those years. (If any game-used nerds read this, I would be grateful for your advice.)