Beckett Launching New Web Site

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kekamba

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Dont know if you guys read this or not, but here's a link

http://beta.beckett.com/group/185223/?tab=tabArticles&p=1184563#ViewArticle

I wasnt around for the last change over. I know in 2006 I had little complaints about the site, OPG, and checklists. But after my return this spring Ive been highly disappointed. They even took away a viewable, pdf file version of a Ron Gant checklist....those.........

Back when the current website was launched I basically quit going to Beckett. I didn't like the new layout at all. The MyCollections feature had been replaced with Organize (which I didn't really like, just a personal preference). I definitely preferred the old website. And then I found the Bench and had no need to go back to Beckett since my main thing was trading. I may check out the new Beckett when it launches but I'm satisfied with my decision to come here rather than stay at Beckett.

At least they admitted that the current site is terrible. Writing a new program
and inplementing it in December sounds good but will it be the fix everyone wants. I hope so.

I too quit Beckett when they went to the new format.
I was so user friendly before.
I hope any changes might be for the better.
If I liked it, I would join again.

Rich

The thing I always enjoyed was being able to look up the values of single cards for free, but I bet that is not coming back anytime soon.

If it was me, I'd do away with all the fancy stuff and break it down to where people can access the info they need quickly.

I'd also separate everything and farm it out to each it's own server under its own domain name...i'd have beckett.com as the main site for the news and links to each site from there...to the avg person this would not be any different than clicking on the link they click anyway but it would split the high volume of traffic to individual sites instead of one server and site pulling the entire load as it is now...it would also allow the databases for each product to run separate from each other...which means the entire site would not be offline for hours each week for maintenance....plus tons of other benefits of doing it that way.

I think it's pretty simple to fix it and I have no idea how it got so screwed up to begin with.

I hate the new version of my collection or organize or what have you. They make it very difficult to copy and paste list.

The way it looks with that they dont want you to copy and paste that. Seems like it was a attempt to kill other trading sites and make theirs the #1 in the land. Which did work out for them, especially seeing if Im not mistaken you have to buy points to trade.

I have grown to like the new my collections and their trading system. It's the constant error messages and inability to search that drive me crazy! Hopefully they will get is straightened out.

Thanks for the link! Also read the article about the guy who first purchased the strasburg superfractor.....driving out by of the hobby by all of the negative comments... collectors are suppose to help each other. Best regards, David

Hmmm, this could either be a good thing (here's hoping) or another epic fail. Should be interesting, at least.

I think it's pretty simple to fix it and I have no idea how it got so screwed up to begin with.

If you can still find it, there was a really good thread on the Beckett message board about 6-8 months after the new site was launched where one of the developers said they were basically forced to launch the new site far too early because the company was being sold and management wanted propective (and completely uninformed) investors to see the shiny new interface. Apparently it was nowhere near complete, which explains why it is STILL in beta. Now since the new ownership has settled in and seen the overwhelming negative feedback, they're finally going back and re-building the site to actually function, rather than just look shiny.

That's one of the problems with programming. If you show management anything that looks even marginally functional, they immediately want to push up the release date no matter how incomplete the code on the back end may be. Dilbert isn't comedy or satire, it's pure documentary. Situations like Beckett's "new" site are proof of that.

The thing I always enjoyed was being able to look up the values of single cards for free, but I bet that is not coming back anytime soon.

Ha, that's for sure. I really doubt they'll bring that back. But it'd certainly get me back to their site. :D

I hate the new version of my collection or organize or what have you. They make it very difficult to copy and paste list.

Difficult, but not impossible. I just worked up a 222 page list for Tony Gwynn as well as a Kevin Garnett list for bubby01. I just highlight the card information and copy it and paste it into Microsoft Word. When pasting it into Word, I click the option "Paste Special" and then "Unformatted Text". The text is then pasted clearly and all I then have to do is go through and clean it up to make it presentable. (That's quite a work, though, for 222 pages of Gwynn! LOL!)

:D
Jason

Too bad it took them this long to figure it out. Funny how the old "new" version never really made it out of their beta testing. Usually when something this large and dramatic is rolled out there's often intranet-based testing groups to figure out the glitches and see if it is generally liked better than the last. My guess was that the corporate folk just wanted something more web 2.0 (trying to be trendy?) and forced some web programmers to come up with something quick and toss it out to the masses. I bet they've had a huge drop in web traffic because of this.

And it was mentioned before in this thread .. the error messages and time-outs. This is uncalled for. If Google can sort billions and billions of web pages and provide you an answer in milliseconds, then Beckett can immediately give you a list of Gary Gaetti's cards.

The way it looks with that they dont want you to copy and paste that. Seems like it was a attempt to kill other trading sites and make theirs the #1 in the land. Which did work out for them, especially seeing if Im not mistaken you have to buy points to trade.

But it did not kill other trading sites...they acutally grew from the beckett members leaving....and several hundreds are on the freedom website! Best regards, David PS former Beckett message Member.

Last edited:
Difficult, but not impossible. I just worked up a 222 page list for Tony Gwynn as well as a Kevin Garnett list for bubby01. I just highlight the card information and copy it and paste it into Microsoft Word. When pasting it into Word, I click the option "Paste Special" and then "Unformatted Text". The text is then pasted clearly and all I then have to do is go through and clean it up to make it presentable. (That's quite a work, though, for 222 pages of Gwynn! LOL!)

:D
Jason

Here's how I do it. Ridiculous, yes, but it works.

1. Copy the raw data into a new Excel spreadsheet.
2. When all the data from all the pages is done, I do a "sort." This isolates all data except for the years/names/numbers of the card.
3. Copy the isolated data to a "new thread" in the Bench (don't post though).
4. Copy the formatted data to a Word document, spreadsheet, whatever.

Beckett is easily the slowest site I have ever seen. It frequently breaks and the search functions are crap. I think it's pretty ridiculous that you can't display someone elses collection in other than picture view.