Beckett "market data" now available

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yankeeswin

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Noticed this morning that Beckett has a "market data" button included on the listing for a card. When you click there it lists a variety of ebay and Beckett marketplace sale prices. A great step in the right direction- the flip side is that it kind of exposes how out of touch Beckett values are on newer cards. Interesting stuff, Beckett.com subscribers should check it out.

ffVLm7O.jpg

free for 5 days beginning yesterday....planned as a new paid upgrade/feature (though i didn't see a price in the initial announcement) after the free trail period....

they are hyping it as a great way to see actual market data for extremely low print run items including 1/1's but my first night toying with it was a bust....

i looked over a good handful of my high-end purchases (i have every purchase since 2007 in my excel files) and compared them to the data listed on beckett....mainly i checked for exquisite cards that i've bought 8-10 of on ebay since 2007 .....a particular rookie autograph numbered to 225 had 4 pages of sales reported going back even further than my first purchase yet NONE of my buys was included in the data....most of the sales reported for that card were still in the 40-60 range with a high of 119 (most of mine cost less than 10 dlvd including a ew for less than 4 dlvd) , though the BV has dropped from 60 at release to just 20 now....i then looked over at least 6-7 other different exquisite cards of the same player that i have bought multiple copies of off ebay in the same time frame ...i found literally ONE of my transactions listed (it was for 8.65 dlvd on a dual auto numbered to 10 that i own 3 of currently , all bought on ebay but only the cheapest one reported)....most of the cards i looked up had sales reported in the 30-50 range while i picked up most of mine for under 10......i also own a little over 150 1/1's.....none that i checked had any sales data reported at all.....

based on my initial exploration , i am NOT finding the new data to be all that helpful and definitely not something i'll pay extra for anytime soon...

Last edited:
Nope $16.19 a month I did a 3 month subscription for $25 now its $45 for 3 month's all because of this market data addition

the 3 month rate is still 25 for web only....the 45 rate is for web + ios.....

also , you dont have to buy the new feature....it's free for 5 days and then will be a rather pricey subscription upgrade - one that i won't be paying extra for.....

i actually checked out all the opg options just this week and all the pricing shown is still the same as long as you opt for web only and not bundle in the ios crap which essentially doubles the cost.....single month total access is 31 for web only , 30.99 for ios only , 55.79 for web + ios , and 59.95 for price guide plus....12 months of total access is 279 for web only , 299.99 for ios only , 520.72 for web + ios , and 499.95 for price guide plus.....

for a single sport , the one month rates are still 10 for web only , 8.99 for ios only , 16.19 for web + ios , and 19.95 for price guide plus......the 12-month rates for a single sport are 81 for web only , 79.99 for ios only , 151.12 for web + ios , and 179.95 for price guide plus....

i guess i just dont see the need to pay 50-75% more just to be able to use an iphone.....

Nope $16.19 a month I did a 3 month subscription for $25 now its $45 for 3 month's all because of this market data addition
but you get free organize so what not worth an extra $7 a month for me.

Oh you do the web+ios thing right? I just do the OPG for the web which I pay $10 or $25 for 3 months. The Data thing is like $19.95 beta version & coming soon full version for $29.95. Not worth it to me when I can look up completed sales on eBay myself & it's more up to date. JMO

Something that would really help is if they included other sales data, like Sportlots, JustCommons and COMC (not likely to happen any time soon). That 1987 Topps McGwire (along with everything else in every Topps base set from 1986-1992) is basically a common that can be had for $0.18 + shipping. I wouldn't be surprised if they're automatically pruning outlier values that don't meet their "value" expectations.

Also, a lot of the information probably relies on very specific naming in listings, and will miss anything that doesn't fit the pattern their software is looking for. So far, it only seems to be helpful in confirming what everyone has been saying about their listed values.

Ah, I thought this was just a new feature. I won't be paying extra in any case. Food for thought, aren't the prices themselves supposed to be based on market data? What this is seems to be a ridiculously high book price and if you pay extra, you get the "real" value.

the 3 month rate is still 25 for web only....the 45 rate is for web + ios.....

also , you dont have to buy the new feature....it's free for 5 days and then will be a rather pricey subscription upgrade - one that i won't be paying extra for.....

i actually checked out all the opg options just this week and all the pricing shown is still the same as long as you opt for web only and not bundle in the ios crap which essentially doubles the cost.....single month total access is 31 for web only , 30.99 for ios only , 55.79 for web + ios , and 59.95 for price guide plus....12 months of total access is 279 for web only , 299.99 for ios only , 520.72 for web + ios , and 499.95 for price guide plus.....

for a single sport , the one month rates are still 10 for web only , 8.99 for ios only , 16.19 for web + ios , and 19.95 for price guide plus......the 12-month rates for a single sport are 81 for web only , 79.99 for ios only , 151.12 for web + ios , and 179.95 for price guide plus....

i guess i just dont see the need to pay 50-75% more just to be able to use an iphone.....

Aha yes now i see those options makes more sense now somewhat

Ah, I thought this was just a new feature. I won't be paying extra in any case. Food for thought, aren't the prices themselves supposed to be based on market data? What this is seems to be a ridiculously high book price and if you pay extra, you get the "real" value.

It's really Beckett thinking that collectors are too lazy to look up completed sales on eBay, comc or other sites & looking to build more of a profit.