Beckett tries to explain the Stras 9.5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timfsu2k

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Beckett Fail

I wasn't aware that the card was sent in to be graded and came back a 9.5. I really think Beckett will be seeing some backlash for this. Here is the card as it was pulled. 9.5?? I don't think so.

strassuperscanfront.jpg

*pic from lkk116 at FCB*

Last edited:
They really should have never even bothered to make this video. They just made the guy in the Texas Jersey look like a complete fool. What a joke...

Thanks
Craig

There was plenty of backlash on the Beckett boards last night when I saw this. Major, major complaining.

Beckett should have not posted this as all it does is hurt their reputation.

Jason

Heres a question. Why have the condition graded at all? Its a 1/1
so its not like someone will turn it down for a better one. I can see
grading it authentic...maybe. I think beckett did this as a publicity
stunt, and I'd bet Topps was in on it too.

More than likely Beckett offered to grade it for free to promote their grading services since the card had seen tons of public exposure.
For people not as informed in card collecting, it's a plus for Beckett. But, the rest of us see the flaws in it. ;)

Jason

i understand them trying to use this for publicity to the outside, by why upset your base of collectors, who are the main people using the service. I've always thought of beckett as the grading service with the most strict standards, but it appears that they are willing to compromise for some people on some occassions, which in the end hurts the credibility more than it helps. Afterall credibility is what matters most when having a card professionally graded right?

Dan

More than likely Beckett offered to grade it for free to promote their grading services since the card had seen tons of public exposure.
For people not as informed in card collecting, it's a plus for Beckett. But, the rest of us see the flaws in it. ;)

Jason

i understand them trying to use this for publicity to the outside, by why upset your base of collectors, who are the main people using the service. I've always thought of beckett as the grading service with the most strict standards, but it appears that they are willing to compromise for some people on some occassions, which in the end hurts the credibility more than it helps. Afterall credibility is what matters most when having a card professionally graded right?

Dan

Agreed. And, you'll probably see a decline in requests for Beckett grading and an increase over at PSA as that client base switches due to this little charade. ;)

Jason

Jason

Hammer, nail, head.

If you really pay attention though, you can tell none of the three really believe anything they are saying about it.

After seeing a few people ask Chris Olds (works for Beckett, was in the video) about it, he makes it overly obvious that he disagrees with the grade, even without coming out and saying it.

A truly poor job by the BGS people.

Dan

Good post and you are right. Without credibility a grading service dies. With the massive amount of money and what's left of their good name, Beckett will survive this. However, I do believe that this little episode will leave a mark on their already tarnished reputation.

To me, BGS is a company that shouldn't exist. How can you grade an item, tell everyone how much it is worth, and then sell it based on the "worth" that you establish?

Jason

That is the truth. Personally I wouldn't expect a SuperFractor to grade "Gem Mint"...why is it necessary? The card is the only one of its kind, and I don't see how such a grade enhances its value.

My paraphrasing of the video:

"Centering is off on front. No big deal. Centering is off pretty bad on the back. Still no big deal. The corners on the back are messed up, but who the heck cares about the back of a card, right? Oh....and pay no attention to the indentions on the back as well. If you see those, you have pretty good eyes. This is the card that is attracting people from outside the hobby. It is a solid card."

David Poole (in the Texas jersey) is going to have to QUIT his job to get away from this crap. The dumbest, most self-incriminating video ever. Especially considering only a handful of people will ever get the opprtunity to see the card in person. Show a pic of the 9.5 and say, "Hey, look at what we graded."

Tim

My paraphrasing of the video:

"Centering is off on front. No big deal. Centering is off pretty bad on the back. Still no big deal. The corners on the back are messed up, but who the heck cares about the back of a card, right? Oh....and pay no attention to the indentions on the back as well. If you see those, you have pretty good eyes. This is the card that is attracting people from outside the hobby. It is a solid card."

David Poole (in the Texas jersey) is going to have to QUIT his job to get away from this crap. The dumbest, most self-incriminating video ever. Especially considering only a handful of people will ever get the opprtunity to see the card in person. Show a pic of the 9.5 and say, "Hey, look at what we graded."

Tim

ROFL!

:D
Jason

Wow- just looking at the card in the picture that the auction gives, I would think 8 or 8.5 at best! That is absurd that they graded it that high. Makes them look like idiots. Why did the guy who graded the card wear such dumb clothes for the video, a texas hat and shirt for a live video interview that will be seen by thousands upon thousands of people?? He looked and sounded like a FOOL!

Good post and you are right. Without credibility a grading service dies. With the massive amount of money and what's left of their good name, Beckett will survive this. However, I do believe that this little episode will leave a mark on their already tarnished reputation.

To me, BGS is a company that shouldn't exist. How can you grade an item, tell everyone how much it is worth, and then sell it based on the "worth" that you establish?

Amen to that,..

After seeing this joke of a video yesterday, I decided to check out the centering grades on some of my BGS cards. I've got a couple of 89 Score football that got 8's for centering that were no worse than the back of the Strasburg, which got a 9 for centering. There is no way for them to justify it, and it has definitely turned me off from using BGS in the future.

you know, this sort of thing just proved it's all rigged...to the hilt.

what a shame.

yea it seems more and more so that way to me too. but didnt that guy in the middle look like that **** from that history channel show chumley, thats on that show about the hawk shop in vegas? could pass for a brother if yoiu ask me lol.