Bench 1.0 Draft thread...take a look!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NEPatriotsFan

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Thanks to Dave (PRosefan1) for his feedback while creating this!

I would like to give this a try. It is the first ever Bench card draft, officially call Bench Draft 1.0. It’s a way to move cards around that you don’t want, for the shot at cards you do want. You will mail your draft contributions (criteria below) to the moderator. Once all cards are received, the draft order will be determined and the draft will begin. There will be five rounds where you take your choice of cards “on the board”. At the end you will receive an envelope with the draft cards you have chosen.

Here is how it works…

Signup:

Any member in good standing can join. Good standing is defined as a member with at least a 4.0 trader rating, and a minimum of 10 trades, and no complaints or mailing issues. The process will start once we get enough participants. For the first try at this looking for an initial group of 8 to 12 traders. We can do it with less just to work out the kinks, but probably no more than 15 the first time.

Card Criteria:

Send cards that you do not want. Minimum book value according to Becketts OPG of the card is $15, and maximum is $40. I have Becketts OPG for baseball and football. If you are contributing another sport, we may need help verifying values. Looking for your lot to be a minimum of $100, and a maximum of $200 book value for the five cards.

Will accept any card type of the four major sports (baseball, football, basketball and hockey). Let’s avoid non-sports cards and graded first time around. We can always tweak the rules for the second version. The card must be in good shape. Doesn’t have to be grade-able, but certainly no dog ears, flaking, rips, tears, etc.

Shipping:

Once we have our participants you will then pack up your 5 donated cards and mail them. Cards should be well packaged, in an individual hard case and mailed in a bubble mailer.

VERY IMPORTANT!!! When you mail your cards, you must include your return mailing address and $5 cash to cover costs (or a SASE bubble mailer with postage applied) so we can ship your draft picks back to you.

Once we have enough participants you will have 10 days to ship your cards to the moderator. If cards are NOT received within a two-week time frame, you will be dropped from the participant list.

Disclosure:

To save from having to type descriptions for the contributions, you will PM the moderator the list of cards you are mailing with the book value of the card in this format…

2000 Aurora #84 Tom Brady RC (SN if applicable) ($ BV)

The list will be collated, and once all cards are received, all draft cards will be posted in the chat room.

Draft pick order:

We will use a randomization website to determine the draft order for who picks first, second, and so on.

The draft:

By popular demand, this will be a snake draft. Whomever has the first pick in round 1 gets first choice of all the cards submitted. Each pick after that gets choice of the cards that are still “on the board”. Each round will continue until all cards are chosen.

Time limits:

I realize most of us have other commitments. If we do not put a time limit it will take a long time and kill the excitement. Will start at 8:00 AM, and give each "team" 6 hours "on the clock" to pick a card. We will close the draft each night at 11 PM. The moderator will post the next person to choose and state when their window of time is up. In the event you miss your time slot, the next “team” can pick, and you can pick whenever you can from what is left. Once all cards in all rounds have been chosen, cards will be put back into envelopes and returned to you.

Draft pick trading:

Just like in the NFL draft, participants are allowed to trade draft picks to move up or down to potentially get a specific card. All trades will be listed in the chat and both parties must confirm.

I am sure I may have forgotten something, or missed a detail. If you see something, say something. I will do my best to edit the rules as quickly and fairly as I can.

1. NEPatriotsFan (have list)

2. PRosefan1 (have list)

3. newguy338 (have list) (cards received)

4. christopher.galle (have list)

5. bengyax (have list) (cards received)

6. LarryG (have list) (cards received)

7. Steelers8873 (have list)

8. Rabs (have list) (cards received)

9. GotMelky (have list)

10. peaceandlove (withdrew) spot taken by dragonslayer913 (have list) (cards received)

11. Dashcol (have list)

12. Chavezforprez (have list)

13. ILLRIMESAYA (have list)

Last edited:
this will be fun -- jump in people.

my only other thought (besides making it a snake draft) is to limit to just baseball, and have sport-specific drafts. I can see pros and cons to this. I am fine either way but can see some folks not wanting a hockey card they know nothing about, for instance.

this will be fun -- jump in people.

my only other thought (besides making it a snake draft) is to limit to just baseball, and have sport-specific drafts. I can see pros and cons to this. I am fine either way but can see some folks not wanting a hockey card they know nothing about, for instance.
well...if we have 10 people give 5 cards, that is a choice of 50 cards...remember these are cards that the trader does not want...ill take 5 cards i dont want with the hopes I can get back two or three that I can use...and you can always trade away your draft picks to move higher up in the draft and get a card you really want and avoid cards you do not want...lets see how it goes...and we can tweak for version 2.0

teaser: I pulled my 5 cards: $100 BV (all between $15 and 30 BV), 2 autos, 4 rookies, 2 serial numbered, 1 prospect...

Sounds different. I'm in. Maybe next time increase the BV. I think there is a tipping point between PWE and $5 for the Postal Service that can be found. Value enough to spend the $5 on shipping is a contributing factor for some. Great work. Chris

Interesting idea, I am in for trying it out. Will see if I can some basketball in the mix. I have beckett basketball if you need pricing at all just let me know.
--Ben

I don’t know jack about hockey as far as what’s good or not. But alas, these drafts are fun. We’ve even done them with ttm autos before as well. After the game, I’ll start to select some stuff.

list is updated for those interested so far...i will update tonight again...thanks

PS have removed the base card restriction as there are some nice base cards out there (especially dont want to exclude vintage) rich

Last edited:
For all interested in doing this -- I will be the moderator keeping tabs on this. @NEPatriotsFan and I have been communicating about this idea. If anything changes from the initial rules laid out above, we will make sure that all parties are kept informed. I will be in charge of holding the cards until the draft is complete and will mail everything out at that point. Questions/concerns with this idea should be posted here so that everyone can have input.

Love the idea but I do not have Beckett, will have to trade for some cards that I know their bvs to enter. When do the cards need to be submitted by? Much appreciated thanks Bri

Love the idea but I do not have Beckett, will have to trade for some cards that I know their bvs to enter. When do the cards need to be submitted by? Much appreciated thanks Bri
If you list some possible cards that you want to use, I will look them up for you.

Count me in!

I do agree that it should be a snake draft since there is no stipulation other than randomization creating the order. Not really fair for the same person to choose first or last each round. Unless the same members are in for the next time we do this and the order is flipped for that entire draft. That would even it out.

Last edited:
have updated with the three additional members...

Dave, thanks for helping Bri...I can also help too with pricing

I have to admit that I have never done fantasy football so I have no idea if a snake draft is better, but if that is what everyone feels is fair...I am ok with it...everyone...should I change it?

Another thing about the snake draft is that it still benefits the people that have the better picks in the 1st round. So even though it’s all based on luck due to randomization it still has perks and strategy involved since you can still trade picks if need be.

Anyone have a complete Beckett OPG availability? I just have Baseball and Football.