BSL Update: 2021#25 - Winter Meetings over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

It's all my fault! I offered him $28.5 million over 8 years. I got a message that the Royals were at $21 million so I figured I need to go really big if I'm going to get him - I guess I panicked, lol!

I wanted to go back and lower my offer after I saw what happened last SIM, but he was favoring my offer and I knew if I withdrew it, he'd probably cut off negotiations with me. I looked at other teams budget room, cash situation, payroll, etc. and there were only about 4-5 other teams that could go over $20 million so I probably went much higher than I needed to go to get him. Oh well, if someone wants to give him $31 million per year, I won't mind too much.

If he signs with me, it will probably be a terrible contract. However, I'm $50 million under budget and have $74 million cash just sitting around so I figured I’m in a good position to take a $228 million chance! The fans in Cincy are anxiously awaiting this next SIM!

Eric

Odds are if he doesn't sign this sim, he will 'vanish' and return to his homeland and become a monk like some of the other talent of past that didn't sign before the new year.

I remember a stud sp that did that a couple seasons ago. I was bidding for him then he just left.

They disappear after getting huge offers, to never be heard from again. I offered him initially, and await to see what he will do now, $30M, what they hey.....before long, Oakland will be a team losing draft picks because we are in the red...but hey, we haven't picked in the top 20 or so for about 8 years now, so our minors have taken a big hit anyways. Lose my draft picks.....we don't need no stinkin draft pick! Give us the new guy for $30M.

Funny my first rounder for last 3-4 years all took rating hits... I though it was just the Mets that got hosed. I'm in the same boat sign type A guys because the risk/reward at least for me hadn't paid off.