BSL Update 2022#17 - September

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thanks guys. I am not going anywhere. I love this stuff. Injuries have hit me hard this year. Just disappointed.

Do you guys set your line up or do you let the coaching staff make the decisions? I have always done it but maybe that is a mistake. Just trying to see if I could do something different.

I have always used a five man SP rotation. Do others try four? I worry about injuries if I only go with four.

LMK,

Ron

I usually set the main 4 lineups and let cpu set depth chart and adjust subs from there. I run 4 and 5 depending on the year and injury status. Running four is very doable but they have to get rest to be at top effectiveness. That being said, runnin four vs 5 woth the fifth throwing up a plus 6 era, i would run four every time. Gotta have a deep bullpen that can eat innings if needed, especially in blowouts

I do a 4 man rotation and set a spot starter for about 8%. As long as you have a couple guys who eat innings I think 4 man works if they all have 9 stamina you better have a good pen.

As far as new blood hard to find those who are interested and when you do hard to keep most of them into it for some reason maybe the learning curve I'm not sure why

I've always gone with a 5-man rotation. It seems more realistic to me for getting enough rest on the staff and not wearing out the bullpen too much. I also never really use MRs as SPs. I know some people have done this with some success, but if a guy only has two pitches, I usually leave him in the bullpen for 2-3 innings max work.

Also, I tend to look at the CPU lineups and adjust from there. I like to see their recommendation, but I typically move a couple guys around in the order or in/out of the lineup vs. LHP/RHP. Sometimes the CPU does some weird things so I like to correct anything that I see as a mistake.

Not sure what else to recommend except for trying to get top 10-15 players at each position. It seems like it would be tough to compete if you have below average players, especially an SP staff that ranks near the bottom of the league. I always figured that if I could get a top 10 player at every position, I'd be a pretty competitive team. Easier said than done though. I'm sure like others have said in the past, it starts with the draft (and being lucky enough not to have prospects take a ratings decline), and then signing/keeping talented players at reasonable salaries so that you can have enough depth at all positions.

Sometimes it all seems to come down to CPU luck. Some years, I've had average teams that perform very well for some reason. Other times, I think I have very competitive teams that play .500 ball. I guess it's just luck of the draw sometimes and once in a while, you get a year when 4-5 guys have career seasons, everyone stays healthy, and it all comes together.

Eric

Sometimes it all seems to come down to CPU luck. Some years, I've had average teams that perform very well for some reason. Other times, I think I have very competitive teams that play .500 ball. I guess it's just luck of the draw sometimes and once in a while, you get a year when 4-5 guys have career seasons, everyone stays healthy, and it all comes together.

Eric

Yes and your average teams beat me twice in the World Series... LOL!!!!!! Yes, I am still bitter... Hahaha!!!

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I just feel like I am running my team into the ground even though I am trying to improve.

Maybe next year will be the magic year. :)

Can only hope.

Ron

Thanks guys.

I just feel like I am running my team into the ground even though I am trying to improve.

Maybe next year will be the magic year. :)

Can only hope.

Ron

Ron

I feel the same way as you. I really try to think this stuff thru but it hasn't worked yet but will keep trying to find that winning combination.

Dennis

I honestly think the cpu just picks out teams each year to play well, and other teams to hammer with injuries and slumps. Hang in and your turn will come. Ron, you used to be right in those dog fights with James and me in the old league set up.

patience for sure... i went on a self induced bad streak (bad signings/ poor draft) for about 3 or 4 seasons... more recently i've made the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons w/ 2 WS showings. being small market, sometimes when we do draft a stud, he gets too greedy and the cost outweighs what we potentially could get back in trade... it's an ongoing cycle and a chessmatch of knowing when to trade and when to hold to build that team that works. my focous has always been a solid defensive team with solid pitching... my bats are decent with a focous on getting on base vs smacking the ball hard. as for pitching i stick w/ 5, and i've been know to use a MR with either high stamina and two outstanding (70 or higher) pitches, or med to low stamina with 3 or more good pitches (50 or higher). those seem to work decently as starters. regardless though I value control the most on a pitcher, and this is where the defense comes into play. if a pitcher walks a batter (because of poor control) the defense doesn't have a chance, but if the batter puts the ball in play, the defense still has a chance to make that hit into an out or two!

funny thing is, this season my owner expected to "win it all" and quite frankly I felt we'd go deep into the playoffs again if not all the way, but the team just played poorly across the board. felt that this was as good a time as any to trade some bigger name guys for future holes as my season slowly went down the drain.... and that is the BSL for ya :)

Last edited:
Tigers and Cubs exported. Tigers lost a solid MR for 11 months and my starting LF for two months...getting thin from injuries and now is not the time with the playoffs coming up!

Cubs need super finish to make the playoffs, regardless they played well this year.

A guessing game at times on player renewals. I know I offered more money to John Thompson several times than he signed with Cory for as soon as I traded him. I finally decided I was not going to give him 23, 24 mil a year for 6 or 7 years so I got a good trade of talent from Cory and let him go. I know that the Royals are always on top, but the Rockies have been no slouch most years either so I always wondered how the game is set up to decide how much it takes to sign certain players in certain situations. I have been on the other end too. Picked up guys who would not sign for their old team and got them to sign with me for less years and less money. Just one of the intangibles I guess.

Dodgers exported. cant wait to start a new season. losing sucks. The NL is definitely tougher than I expected..

Mets/O's exported. I have personally offered some of my top prospects to losing teams that need to rebuild and offered studs for prospects to teams making a push. Sometimes you need to make changes during the season some minor some more drastic. Not Heath changes though.

Mets/O's exported. I have personally offered some of my top prospects to losing teams that need to rebuild and offered studs for prospects to teams making a push. Sometimes you need to make changes during the season some minor some more drastic. Not Heath changes though.

Conventional wisdom would agree with you.