BV vs SV - How do you trade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

It all depends on the card and the want/need. I had a "trader" try to trade me a bv $80 card for a bv $30 because of the sell value.
I will hold on to the $80 card to get the best deal for me.

Would you make this tradel?

YOU GET- 2020 Topps Chrome Pink Refractors #200 Yordan Alvarez $30

YOU SEND - 2021 Topps Green Foil #239 Ian Anderson /499 $80

Last edited:
I have in the past couple of years become a hybrid guy. Sometimes a card consistently sells for much more than BV. Sometimes i forget to look at SV before offering a trade. Had a trade on here that I thought was a fair offer but I was actually lowballing quite a bit. It was pointed out to me and after research I made a much better trade offer. At the time Soto was selling for nearly three times BV. The trade got done and everybody was happy. I recommend good communication between trade partners.

It all depends on the card and the want/need. I had a "trader" try to trade me a bv $80 card for a bv $30 because of the sell value.

Looks about even to me. DG

In the last few years i have done both. as i know beckett magazines are only updated once a month. i know the online version is maybe done at least twice a month. but when you have a super hot player. you have to go by current sv. as it only fair. iam dead set on this when it comes to rookies. but inserts and parallels and base iam ok with book values. or if iam doing a trade with a trader i have done multiple trades with iam even more flexible. as long as we both get what we want.

My prediction - both of those guys will be commons in 5 years. Alvarez has a better chance of success. I'd hold onto him.

BV or you could call it Beckett value is usually higher than what a card sells for. My use of BV is rationalized that the BV of 2 cards to be traded are both off by a similar amount. That's probably not true though. I don't understand the pursuit of hot rookies, it's rare that any of them will ever pan out. It seems also that cards are being sold for their potential as opposed to what there actually worth.

BV or you could call it Beckett value is usually higher than what a card sells for. My use of BV is rationalized that the BV of 2 cards to be traded are both off by a similar amount. That's probably not true though. I don't understand the pursuit of hot rookies, it's rare that any of them will ever pan out. It seems also that cards are being sold for their potential as opposed to what there actually worth.
That's what dealers do - in everything, not just sports cards.
In 2014, I and everybody else had Dustin Pedroia and David Wright on the list of sure-fire HoFs, and look how that worked out. Anybody remember Jerome Walton?

I trade either way, but whether by bv or sv the trade has to be fair and make sense to both parties. I don't mind giving up a higher value card if it's for something I want. I also keep in mind how much I have in the card. Meaning, if I pulled a $100 card out of a $5 pack I'm not going to worry to much about either bv or sv so long as (again) I'm receiving something I want.

To the "if it were graded" topic earlier... that one really irritates me. What they're really saying is "if it grades at a PSA 9" or whatever... but are they a professional grader? No. Even graders vary from person to person within one organization. Any of us who have sent in any qty of cards to get graded knows it's a bit of luck. I've had cards I thought were 8 or 9 come back 10s and cards I was certain were 10s to come back as 7s and 8s. So no, nobody knows what the "if it were graded" value is, until it's sitting in that slab. Even then, it goes to what somebody will pay, as many have mentioned. End rant lol

i have been here on the bench for quite awhile and i have always made trades cards for cards i never know how much asv or bv is on a card i am just an old fashion collector who justs like making sets a little bit like short bus i ahve over 50,000 dupes and just make trade where both traders are happy and most of you who have answered this have trade with me
chieftazmisty

I use BV. In fact, I can't think of a time that I've used sell value. Far too much emotion and impulse in sell value.

Hi
when I'm considering a trade, and before committing to a trade, I check Beckett online price guides and, if possible, eBay sold to see if there's a big difference or not. Then if we're both on the site, agree from there. Rookies and prospects are always tricky.
Bob

If it was the last card I needed for the set, and I was happy, then I would make the trade.

I do use the BV just because it keeps the trade on an even basis and most folks here seem to be good with it. But, sometimes you want to send something just to help someone out if you can and every now and then I get helped out the same way. I am mostly a set builder rather than a team or player (read that - rookie) collector though.
Makes this a great place to trade.

I'm a set collector. My goad is to collect a complete set of Topps from 1952 to the present. When I look at people's Trade Lists, I look for numbers. I have no idea if I'm looking at a Mickey Mantle card or a Mario Mendoza card. I looked at someone's Trade List and found some cards he needed. He had five cards I needed, so I told him I needed any of those five cards. He picked one out and we agreed on a trade. He came back the next day and reneged on the trade because the card he picked for me had a BV of $8 and the card I had for him was something like $2.50. He got a moderator involved and essentially I didn't get the card I needed, he sent me another card. I'll never trade with him again. If you pick the card out, then I'm assuming, if you're worried about BV, that you would have checked it out before agreeing to the trade. It's things like that that make me want to quit the hobby. It's just paper. In the grand scheme of things, its not worth the paper its printed on.

The only card I know its approximate value is 1952 Topps #311. It's worth I can't afford it. Other than that, I don't know, nor do I care, what any other card is worth. As I said before, I understand there are people who are worried about BV and I'll respect that and trade with you on BV.

But don't you care about the players? The cards for me are mementos of real people. Some of them had real accomplishments that I didn't even know about. I've had a 57 Bob Grim in my PC for something like 50 years. Not a card I ever cared about. Someone wanted it for their set so I pulled it out. Ordinary common. BUT turns out he was the AL Rookie of the Year in 1954. Who knew?
You might think of him as Topps '57 #36. That other guy might think of him as BV $18. Now, when I see the card, I think '54 AL ROY.