Can Someone Help Me Please? (Regarding 1909 T206)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Utleyfan

Pro
4.90 star(s)
http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-11-T206-RE...US_Baseball?hash=item3ca89fc81e#ht_500wt_1116
Hi, I was looking at auctions for some more 1909 T206 cards. I do not understand this auction when they say it has been graded 'Authentic' by SGC because it has been 'altered in some way'? Can someone please help me with what that means? I am just trying to be sure that I buy an 100% authentic T206 card and was hoping that maybe some more knowledgeable vintage card collectors could help translate?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate any help.
--UF

Utleyfan

"Authentic" can mean a number of things, such as trimmed or recolored, as well as being altered like someone may have "spooned" a crease out. The card may have been soaked or bleached also. For that kind of money, I would rather just buy one with rounded corners, but know that it has been unaltered. 1909-1911 T206s have been hit just like everything else in the hobby. If you watch a few auctions, you can find some fairly cheap with nice eye appeal. I mentioned in another thread that I picked up a T206 PSA 4 last month for $41 delivered. I have been working on this set for almost 3 years now. If you ever have a question about this set feel free to PM me anytime.

Powerhitter

Utleyfan

"Authentic" can mean a number of things, such as trimmed or recolored, as well as being altered like someone may have "spooned" a crease out. The card may have been soaked or bleached also. For that kind of money, I would rather just buy one with rounded corners, but know that it has been unaltered. 1909-1911 T206s have been hit just like everything else in the hobby. If you watch a few auctions, you can find some fairly cheap with nice eye appeal. I mentioned in another thread that I picked up a T206 PSA 4 last month for $41 delivered. I have been working on this set for almost 3 years now. If you ever have a question about this set feel free to PM me anytime.

Powerhitter

To everyone who replied- Thank you, the insight helped clear things up. I am familiar with trimming and such, just did not know if it had other meanings.

Powerhitter Thanks for mentioning your experience and thoughts. I agree, I am not into buying trimmed cards (I've been offered some before but have passed). I'd rather buy the PSA 1 than the better grade that had been 'altered' in some way, shape, or form.

Thanks guys.