Comment that got me thinking (Discussion)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I think prospecting if done the right way can avoid those who are just trying to make a buck as was said.

I personally do not have much money so I can't afford to go out and buy a big name or huge up and coming prospect. The way I like to do it is to find someone I can connect with (i.e. Brad Lincoln (Went to a highschool I was going to attend until I moved a while back; saw him pitch frequently in High School) and Jason Knapp (Went to my rival High School and saw him around frequently at a baseball training facility). I also look for my Astros draft picks because I like to know what the future will bring for the big league club (Partially because we have sucked for a little while!).

My favorite part is just either of prospecting is a. Having the satisfaction that I was right about what a player could do in the future and b. just the overall challenge of finding someone that has cards that don't cost $25+ that turns out to be very good.

As far as ridiculing those who enjoy getting TTM AU and collecting non stars I am really surprised.

As the sig shows I collect Rich Harden which is a common to almost everyone. I collect him because he is electric when he isn't hurt.

If you only are collecting big names:
1. You wallet will get thin quickly
2. You collecting experience won't be as enjoyable
3. You will not have nearly as many opportunities to make trades for good cards because the asking prices will be too high (I'm able to pick up amazing Harden's for under $5 every time!)
4. Once they retire, you are likely to forget about them unless they are HOF material

I am more happy to get in a TTM of some common player TTM that I need for set then some HOF superstar because most of the time in hockey they are harder to find. One of the sets that I am doing There is only one HOF player I need 3 cards signed because he has been $25 each since the set came out in the mid 90's the other few are hard to track down common players.

With the Montreal Canadiens or Expos auto collection, I was just as happy to get in Gary Carter or Jean Beliveau in as Ty Cline or Rick Green.

I enjoy seeing the various successes and might even get a few myself if I EVER moved off my lazy butt and sent some! I like the unique sigs with a story more than seeing the 40th Jim Thome success though, however if I had one complaint about sharing successes it would be about no pics! I know not everyone has the ability or the knowledge to do it, although those are fairly minor and inexpensive excuses in todays world, but just reading about them is not the same for me!

Why anyone would complain about just about any post (didn't say all, because there are some completely waste of space posts made periodically) being made is beyond me though. If it doesn't interest you, move on!

Just look in my signiture. Which players are trade bait and which ones are in my PC? When I say that I'll take anything of these players, I mean even card that I have. I currently have 18 1982 Donruss Rich Gedmans.

My question is will there be enough true collectors in 20 years to have a viable hobby?

i have to make a comment since i was the one who started the talk on the subject. i was not objecting to the ttm posts. i was talking about posting 5 different threads back to back instead of doing like most collectors they post 1 thread for 5 autos gotten in the mail. i think that i was misunderstood as to what i was saying. interesting comments though.
thanks and God bless !
david

I think there are an awful lot of money-oriented collectors who are just impressed by shiny things, but aren't really big baseball fans. Growing up, I was always annoyed when other kids who were all about Don Mattingly, Bo Jackson, Jose Canseco, etc., but couldn't understand why my "star" albums also contained guys like Rich Gossage, Harold Baines, Keith Hernandez, Howard Johnson and Fred Lynn.

The world of baseball card collecting began and ended with a price guide. They didn't follow the sport, either in the box scores or in the history books. Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Babe Ruth....sure, they knew the names and some of the records. But Willie McCovey? Ralph Kiner? Who were they? They didn't have a clue.

But I guess we all have our reasons for collecting, some, back then, apparently just did from peer pressure.

I don't TTM, but I don't see TTM success posts as clutter. CMB posts on the other hand...

Last edited:
(They) wouldn't keep a Joey Cora (or Chris Weinke) card should they happen across one - and if they did, you had better bust out your sickest Jeter 8 color patch/auto 1/1 printing plate.

So funny you said this! As I was reading through this thread, I was sitting here thinking that the same person that Ed is referring to (or should I say "type of collector" Ed is referring to) would be the same one that would pull a Ray Lankford printing plate and be FURIOUS, only to turn around and hold it hostage against rl16 until he came up with either Ruth money or a Pujols MLB-logo patch to trade for it.

I still collect Bill Hall as they come. I do not actively pursue them on the boards, but I will trade for them and buy them as I find them. I also check eBay every day. However, I had a couple of members here on the Bench over the past year or so pull very nice Hall cards only to approach me and ask for something insane (or a ridiculous price) in return. I politely passed on each one. It did leave a sour taste in my mouth, though. One of the guys eventually put their Hall on eBay, and I sit there and watched it sell for less than $6. I would have given more than twice that amount, but I am too hardheaded. I know I did the right thing by letting that card go, as I eventually got a copy. It cost me a few more dollars, but I am hoping those few dollars helped that other member learn a valuable lesson: if you really want to help another collector.......HELP THEM.

Tim Carroll wants them :p
Love it! Absolutely.....for the last 7-8 months, I have not met a single common I didn't like - unless they have high amounts of UV coating.;) However, TTMers probably hate me!:eek:

Tim

Good Post !!
I started collecting in 1993 and at first I was driven by the card values.I would pull a nice card and then instantly look it up in a price guide.About 10 years ago my mind set changed and then I took the money factor out of my collection,put away the price guides.I feel now that I am a true collector.
I enjoy seeing people post up pulls and box breaks,but for myself I keep my expectations low,hence my frustrations are lowered.I have massive amounts of base and I enjoy greatly being able to help someone looking for that simple card for their needs.I mailed a free card to someone last week and having that person just write back "Thank You" is the greatest feeling for me.
The hobby has changed a lot in the last 20 years and I do sometimes wonder if the younger collectors have ever seen a 96 Score "The Franchise" card glow in the dark.
I've never TTM'D but I could see if I did I would have a very small connection to that player and that would make me happy for sure, because I love the game of baseball,..

Clint

Last edited:
Send me all your printing plates, autos, and game used.. and I will send you all my commons! ;) :D

Christopehr

Good Post !!

The hobby has changed a lot in the last 20 years and I do sometimes wonder if the younger collectors have ever seen a 96 Score "The Franchise" card glow in the dark.

I'm laughing pretty hard right now, thinking of me and my buddy doing to the same to see if we had a glowing one or not!

Scott

When I first started on The Bench I was a set collector. And it was pretty easy then to complete a set of Topps from the 80's or 90's. If I were to get back in to collecting, I would like to complete all the Topps base sets since the 50's. I think it would be impossible to find commons, especially from the 80's and 90's. Since there worthless in monetary value, I don't think they would still be available.

When I first started on The Bench I was a set collector. And it was pretty easy then to complete a set of Topps from the 80's or 90's. If I were to get back in to collecting, I would like to complete all the Topps base sets since the 50's. I think it would be impossible to find commons, especially from the 80's and 90's. Since there worthless in monetary value, I don't think they would still be available.

I dig for commons when I see set builders who need them, particularly if they're people I've dealt with before (so I know a trade will happen, and I won't have to put the commons back into my boxes). Some years are tougher than others...most Topps sets from about 1981-96 were pretty widely opened but 1997 a little less so, from what I've observed (of course, sets from the late 80's until about 1991 or 1992 were very overproduced).

i collect bowman sets(base and parallels), plus players who started out for the missoula osprey(who have had cards made of) plus i have some player collections of some older orioles players- and a few other projects(2008 upper deck master sets, 2009 ud 20th anniversary--------i need alot of commons of alot of these sets--when it comes down to make a trade---ally they want is like jeter, arod, pujols, gu or autos--im absulutely cleaned out of these players, so no trade is made-----as you can see by my trade totals, my trades have drastically declined, as im cleaned out of star cards, prospects, gu and autos---and all i have left is basically commons, which alot of people dont want---right now im doing better on trading on beckett, because alot of people want my commons

so what is a trader suppose to do on here, go buy a lot of arods, pujols, jeters, gu and autos--so they can trade with alot of people on here---so right now im just spending my money on ebay getting what i want

just my opinion on the state of trading right now

happy new year

rob

Threads like these remind me why I love The Bench.

I almost wonder if you have to be a TTMer to fully appreciate what every success means to a collector. TTMing is a labor of love. For each request, you have to select the player, dig through commons boxes to find a nice card or two, perhaps create a CIC or custom card, print/write a letter and hand-address the envelopes. So, while it may be exciting to get back a star, sliding an autographed card of Brook Fordyce or Craig Counsell out of that small white SASE can create an equal feeling of excitement.

I also have a newfound respect for common player collectors after starting my Marco Scutaro collection. Collecting non-star players can be a lonely pursuit. Not many people are going to congratulate you on your recent Topps Black or oddball pickup than they would for an auto of the latest hot prospect, for instance. It's also hard to convince people to thumb through "commons" for your guy. Even finding an up-to-date list of inserts (or maintaining one!) can be a challenge.

Yet, for some reason, my little Scutaro stash (31/76 mainstream, non 1/1 cards and growing!) feels like a welcome return to the roots of the hobby. Case in point: I have a little pile of Scutaro base cards on my desk that I've yet to file. Once a day (or more!), I find myself thumbing through the stack, looking at the photos, appreciating the designs, reading the stats and info on the back. Isn't that what collecting sports cards should be about all along?

Regards,
Mike

I dont have time to read the whole thread but I will post my thoughts here based on Ed's original post. I could not agree more with it. As a long time set builder it really frustrates me when I am looking for that last common card for a set and I get "Got any (insert superstar name here)" as a response. I really dont keep a lot of those cards around. Either they go in my sets or I turn them over quickly for cards I need.

As for TTMers - it is not my cup of tea but I have no problem with the "Congrats" posts for successes. That is what The Bench is all about - sharing with each other.

Thanks,

Jeff

The toughest part in "helping" set and minor star/common player collectors is not that some of us wish to help and just won't, it's more so a lack of organization and an opportunity cost thing, at least for me.

I have so many projects that are incomplete, plus most of my stuff is packed away under the stairs. It is laborious and time consuming just to get to a lot of it. Then, the effort to go through multiple 5K boxes looking for a few singles, even if I really wanted to help, is daunting. I could be scanning my Steve Garvey checklist cards with that same time...;)

If I had my stuff perfectly organized by brand, year and number, then it's no sweat to find cards people need. I don't have that level of organization though.

On another note mentioned here...I especially enjoy looking over and hearing about unique player collections that are not the hottest rookies or stars, but I will admit that browsing larger collections of newer players in that category tend to become boring. It's not the same as checking out all those 70s and 80s oddball cards in a player collection! A run of the mill guy today could have 1000 or more cards before he even plays long enough to qualify for the HOF! However 100 of them could come from some outrageously large single set like Topps Tek or Milestones.