Favorite Card Set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1972 Topps for me........Was the first set I tried to put together when I was 8 and finished it in 2008..........I loved all the subsets; Awards, Kid Photo's, In Action, Traded.............The series (1-6) confused me at the time because I had no information on how they were released............When the last series came out, my friends were in football cards by then, and lost interest in trading for baseball.............I think that's why the later series are harder to come by.........Love the design still and go back and look at them regularly..............Check out the left hand of Billy Martin on card #33, it's classic, something that up and coming 3rd graders died for!

Mike

I also was lured into collecting by the 1987 Topps issue and have been working my way back in time ever since, one year at a time. So far, I think, the 1972 is my favorite issue that I have completed. Honorable mention, in my mind, goes to the 1957 Topps issue, but mostly because most of the National league player pictures appear to have been taken in Ebbets Field.

Great Topic,
Marvin

1982 Topps....first cards I really bought in mass with paper route money and first set I completed by hand.

1972 Topps for me........Was the first set I tried to put together when I was 8 and finished it in 2008..........I loved all the subsets; Awards, Kid Photo's, In Action, Traded.............The series (1-6) confused me at the time because I had no information on how they were released............When the last series came out, my friends were in football cards by then, and lost interest in trading for baseball.............I think that's why the later series are harder to come by.........Love the design still and go back and look at them regularly..............Check out the left hand of Billy Martin on card #33, it's classic, something that up and coming 3rd graders died for!

Mike

If that was the best photo they could get to feature on a card, I wonder what the BAD photos looked like????

Thanks Mattinglyscards, Jaybo, and Beachbum, fun to hear your memories along with your favorite sets. I know most of us got into this as children, and have "wasted" a lot of money on them as adults, and every year in between, but it is still fun, as I can tell from what all you guys have written. The way you felt when you pulled that first card, building collections of favorite players, and then the ventures for some into TTM/ IP autos.....fun hobby all around, thanks for sharing your memories with me!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

86 Topps Football and 87 Topps Baseball. Both sets have an unmistakable look to them and just happened to be the first two sets I collected by buying packs.

86 Topps Football and 87 Topps Baseball. Both sets have an unmistakable look to them and just happened to be the first two sets I collected by buying packs.

Interesting, those were my first football and baseball cards as well, cool that we overlapped! Thanks for posting, cool to have a similar collecting history!

83 Topps for me too. First cards I really remember buying. I LOVE those customs. Wish I had better photoshop skills; I'd do the same for my son's team.