How do you complete your base sets?

bouncer

Pro
5.00 star(s)
I’m slowly getting back into collecting after taking a few months off for personal reasons. My question is…how do members of The Bench complete the majority of there base sets? Do you buy a couple boxes or just pickup lots off of e-bay for a fraction of the price? I’m trying to figure out the best way to work on the 2011 sets when they come out.

sandman43103

MVP
5.00 star(s)
When I was a set collector, I would buy one hobby box of the cards, then trade off the hits/inserts/parallels for the remaining cards I needed.

It all depends on whether the set you are building has SP's in it. If the set has a bunch of SP's, you can usually trade for the remaining base cards, and either find someone else who opened a box and swap extra SP's or buy off of eBay.

The most cost-effective way of doing it if you're not opening boxs is to buy starter lots here on the bench or on eBay. I have seen plenty of deals on eBay where dealers will open 10 cases of products and basically "give" away the sets for a fraction of their value.

Last edited:

Trishlp

MVP
5.00 star(s)
It also depends on if you like opening boxes of cards. I like to open 1 to 2 boxes of each set that I do and then trade for the rest.

Trish

brewerfan34

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I will buy limited amounts of blasters or packs of the sets I want. Lately I pick up lots on ebay and trade to finish.

Early this week I picked up a lot of 60 2008 A&G cards, a mix of inserts, base and minis for $4.50 delivered. That would have been $40.00 worth of blasters.

Welcome back to the hobby!

Frank

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Normally I will buy one hobby box of regular Topps. Usually get a set out of that. If that doesn't work most shows usually have someone who has commons for sale for a nickle each. Sportlots is also an excellent place to pick up commons but they are at least 18 cents each. But if you buy enough you can get discounts.

jflan702

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I usually buy one hobby box of Topps. Whatever I am missing, I trade for here at The Bench. I can't tell you how many sets have been completed by trades with other set collectors here. We have a great group of traders, so starting or finishing sets is pretty easy, as long as you have something that the other traders would want.

Good luck in 2011!