I used to think $4.00 was a high shipping cost.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

When I started online trading, in 2003, the cost to ship a padded mailer was $.60...........That was with no tracking though.........

I have only bought $1-$2 cards this way though, nothing high dollar. (I would like to believe no seller would send a high dollar card this way.... but these days you never know!)
the maximum dollar value allowed in that shipping format is a $20 sale...of course when they first posted this as a new method , the announcement stated it was for a maximum of 2 cards in top loaders or 4 cards without toploaders and i've seen people on another forum brag about shipping 10-15 cards in this way....

When I started online trading, in 2003, the cost to ship a padded mailer was $.60...........That was with no tracking though.........
The good old days of postage prices. Makes one wonder how they can't be profitable these days.

the maximum dollar value allowed in that shipping format is a $20 sale...of course when they first posted this as a new method , the announcement stated it was for a maximum of 2 cards in top loaders or 4 cards without toploaders and i've seen people on another forum brag about shipping 10-15 cards in this way....
I believe it. Sellers always trying to save. Can't say I blame them but that is a bit extreme. I haven't sold on ebay in 2-3 years, but at that time the Ebay fvf on shipping was the exact amount of the Payapl discount. For example, if you received a discount of $1.50 on Paypal shipping, $1.50 was what the shipping fvf was on Ebay.

I'm guessing it's changed a lot since then. I'm not real fond of the new way sellers get paid either, but it does make sense. But like I said, I haven't sold in quite some time (so I'm just being a cranky old man)

The good old days of postage prices. Makes one wonder how they can't be profitable these days.
I believe it's only $1 without tracking these days. Not sure they did it legally but I know I received a small padded envelope (or two) with just a $1 stamp on it without tracking. USPS never hit me up for any extra. Boggled my mind but figured I'm not complaining as long as I got the card.

Sad that more on Ebay aren't using the $.75 PWE w/tracking option. Can't pocket the excess charge then, I guess...
If they charge youn $4+ and don't ship in a bubble mailer you can make a claim and get the difference back. I've done it twice already.

Ok we have a few offshoots going here and there’s some that can’t even put a stamp on an envelope then swear it’s the uspo!!! So 80’s excuse.. but here’s my take.. I absolutely hate the 4 dollar postage so here’s an example….2021 heritage short prints say Rich Hill (seriously) and a couple more that need TJ surgery for the second time and add in 4 more that just got traded for ( a player to be named later) and good ole 2card needs them to complete the set!!! I understand you sellers are just getting what it takes and I’m ok but rich hill and 4 players to be named later!!!!! The cost for the stiff will be around 3.50!!!!! Seriously??? OMG please send TISSUES!!

Ok we have a few offshoots going here and there’s some that can’t even put a stamp on an envelope then swear it’s the uspo!!! So 80’s excuse.. but here’s my take.. I absolutely hate the 4 dollar postage so here’s an example….2021 heritage short prints say Rich Hill (seriously) and a couple more that need TJ surgery for the second time and add in 4 more that just got traded for ( a player to be named later) and good ole 2card needs them to complete the set!!! I understand you sellers are just getting what it takes and I’m ok but rich hill and 4 players to be named later!!!!! The cost for the stiff will be around 3.50!!!!! Seriously??? OMG please send TISSUES!!
Breathe 2card Breathe!!!! It’s only a hobby!!!!

Breathe 2card Breathe!!!! It’s only a hobby!!!!
That's very funny!
I recently went down to a LCS. They're selling at 30% HiBV. They negotiate. I get to see what I'm buying. I have no shipping costs at all - but there's sales tax, which could end up being the same. I don't have to wait for 3 months or 6 months for delivery. I don't have to get pissed off when the cards show up with dings or creases the trader didn't announce. Of course, it depends what they've got in store. But I'm beginning to feel like it may be the most satisfying method.

That's very funny!
I recently went down to a LCS. They're selling at 30% HiBV. They negotiate. I get to see what I'm buying. I have no shipping costs at all - but there's sales tax, which could end up being the same. I don't have to wait for 3 months or 6 months for delivery. I don't have to get pissed off when the cards show up with dings or creases the trader didn't announce. Of course, it depends what they've got in store. But I'm beginning to feel like it may be the most satisfying method.
Agree 100%. The LCS is the way to go. Unfortunately for yours truly (and I'm sure others) the LCS is 75 miles away. Cannot just jaunt over there, have to plan a trip. Which then becomes a "family day".

I love "family days".....but not when I just want to do cards. *sigh*

The last LCS I went to was 200 miles from home. Visiting my oldest daughter and stopped in the LCS there. I've been there before, great guy!

Sadly? Fortunately? Luckily? Online buying, trading & selling is pretty much our way to go. Frustrating when the "bad things" happen for sure, but Ebay & Paypal give 100% protection, no need to get po'd.

They're only cards, but they sure are fun! :)

Hi
Right now, the minimum for mailing a padded envelope is about $3.36, which is zoned to local 1, to mail to the East Coast, it is $3.49 with the eBay discount. So, when you add In the cost per envelope and driving to the PO, I'm losing money.
I think I also heard postage may go up again in August.
Bob
P.S. 6 spots left in Topps Jumbo/Stadium Club/Select break!

Agree 100%. The LCS is the way to go. Unfortunately for yours truly (and I'm sure others) the LCS is 75 miles away. Cannot just jaunt over there, have to plan a trip. Which then becomes a "family day".

I love "family days".....but not when I just want to do cards. *sigh*

The last LCS I went to was 200 miles from home. Visiting my oldest daughter and stopped in the LCS there. I've been there before, great guy!

Sadly? Fortunately? Luckily? Online buying, trading & selling is pretty much our way to go. Frustrating when the "bad things" happen for sure, but Ebay & Paypal give 100% protection, no need to get po'd.

They're only cards, but they sure are fun! :)
Thankfully a good friend of mne opened up an LCS in February only 2 or 3 miles from my house. Since he has a lot of cards I have attempted to trade for online over the years, it has pretty much eliminated my online trading. Since he opened his store in mid February, I have only made 5 trades and do not see that snail's pace increasing any time soon.

I live in LA - got a fair number of LCS to choose from - found a guy I like so I'll stick with him for the moment, as long as I find stuff. The thing I like about trading is using doubles to get cards I would like. The problem is I haven't found many traders here that are into the same stuff I am. And like I said above, I got a bit gun shy from receiving cards with unannounced creases.

Hi
Right now, the minimum for mailing a padded envelope is about $3.36, which is zoned to local 1, to mail to the East Coast, it is $3.49 with the eBay discount. So, when you add In the cost per envelope and driving to the PO, I'm losing money.
I think I also heard postage may go up again in August.
Bob
P.S. 6 spots left in Topps Jumbo/Stadium Club/Select break!
100% accurate if you are using padded with tracking. But you can stick a couple of cards in a padded without tracking for the cost of a $1 stamp (maybe $1.25 in stamps). I have not personally sent this way but I most definitely have received this way. If I remember right it has to weigh less than 2oz.

Thankfully a good friend of mne opened up an LCS in February only 2 or 3 miles from my house. Since he has a lot of cards I have attempted to trade for online over the years, it has pretty much eliminated my online trading. Since he opened his store in mid February, I have only made 5 trades and do not see that snail's pace increasing any time soon.
I do have a collectibles shop within 20 miles. He has some cards but mainly records, some comics, video games and other such novelties. Great guy and all, but just not the same as a card shop!

I live in LA - got a fair number of LCS to choose from - found a guy I like so I'll stick with him for the moment, as long as I find stuff. The thing I like about trading is using doubles to get cards I would like. The problem is I haven't found many traders here that are into the same stuff I am. And like I said above, I got a bit gun shy from receiving cards with unannounced creases.
I really, really miss the days of the card shop. Just being able to go in, flip through some cards, open packs and talk sports for a few hours. I haven't had those days since the 90's/early 2000's. Back at the turn of the century....

Not sure what part of LA you're in but I have bought from Burbank Cards several times. I lived in Burbank back in the 80's (here we go again...old man ramble!) and wish I would've had known about them then. Or any others!

We're still waiting for the San Diego Friday Night card show to restart. That where I met Jerry Lazarus, whom I still get the majority of my boxes. There's a guy named Keith, sacman28 on eBay, who had a great $2 box, where I picked up a lot of cards, I turned on eBay.
Of course, the LCS, All Star Cards in Santee, CA, 92071, has tons of great boxes, good prices.
Bob

Case in point!!! Hill gets traded today!!!! 41 years old.. 11 teams in 17 years… and you vultures with 4.35 postage to protect the card!!!! Your trade or purchase means so much to me 2card… huh??? So now In the updated series of all brands hey let’s short print the stiff again!!! Screw the top loader and the bubble wrap just wrap mine in puffs plus with lotion!!!!! Don't get annoyed guys if i ask about combined shipping !!! LOL.. Seriously Hill and the player to be named later with a 6er of gatorade ain't adding up to 2.15 combined shipping!!!! Sorry guys you got to have fun with this as it's only a hobby and plus my nose in running...

Last edited:
100% accurate if you are using padded with tracking. But you can stick a couple of cards in a padded without tracking for the cost of a $1 stamp (maybe $1.25 in stamps). I have not personally sent this way but I most definitely have received this way. If I remember right it has to weigh less than 2oz.

I do have a collectibles shop within 20 miles. He has some cards but mainly records, some comics, video games and other such novelties. Great guy and all, but just not the same as a card shop!

I really, really miss the days of the card shop. Just being able to go in, flip through some cards, open packs and talk sports for a few hours. I haven't had those days since the 90's/early 2000's. Back at the turn of the century....

Not sure what part of LA you're in but I have bought from Burbank Cards several times. I lived in Burbank back in the 80's (here we go again...old man ramble!) and wish I would've had known about them then. Or any others!
I bought a few cards from Burbank I needed to complete a set. It's kind of a warehouse. Not warm and fuzzy. But effective.

I found a LCS in Woodland Hills, used to be run by a fellow named Max. He passed it on to a guy who had been a kid shopping there for years. They also do a lot of autographs and framing of jerseys and such.