IP Success With A Toughie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therion

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
First, I have to apologize to Andrew. He didn't bring the cards he said he'd bring for you. I will be doing another signing, so if you have any unsigned, I'll get em for you.

So, without further ado...

I put together a private signing with Curtis Wilkerson. He does not sign TTM because it creeps him out. He even asked me how people get his address and how to stop it! I'm going to contact the places I know of and see what I can do to get him taken off of their lists.

Here are the scans of the haul. Not too bad at $8 a pop for a guy that is darn near impossible to get.

Signing1-2.jpg

Signing1-1.jpg

Signing1-3.jpg

Signing1-4.jpg

Signing1-5.jpg

For anyone confused about the McClendon card, it actually pictures Curtis Wilkerson. The collector from SCN wanted two so he could try to get one signed by McClendon and Wilkerson. (He already has one from McClendon, and now has two with Wilkerson)

I'll be doing another signing with Wilkerson in mid to late February if anyone is interested. Just drop me a PM for details.

Last edited:
I love it! "Fan Mail creeps me out!" I never heard that before, but there's always a first time. Right, Billy?

This type of thing bothers me more than it should!

First off, apparently Wilkerson has never opened up an internet window and searched for people. You can find my address, so why not his! His name probably should be pulled from the autograph lists, but not for his privacy but because good people are wasting money in stamps sending him cards that will either come back unsigned or not come back at all because it creeps him out!

Second, he was an average player at best. He should embrace the fame he has and not treat his fans the way he does. He isn't Cal Ripken or Hank Aaron, so he can't possibly be inundated with requests. Most of the older players, at least based on some of those questions other TTMers have shared, might get 20-30/Month.

TTM creeps him out huh. Lame.

This type of thing bothers me more than it should!

First off, apparently Wilkerson has never opened up an internet window and searched for people. You can find my address, so why not his! His name probably should be pulled from the autograph lists, but not for his privacy but because good people are wasting money in stamps sending him cards that will either come back unsigned or not come back at all because it creeps him out!

Second, he was an average player at best. He should embrace the fame he has and not treat his fans the way he does. He isn't Cal Ripken or Hank Aaron, so he can't possibly be inundated with requests. Most of the older players, at least based on some of those questions other TTMers have shared, might get 20-30/Month.

TTM creeps him out huh. Lame.

I actually find this interesting. While some may think his is a lame excuse, and I can certainly understand the reasons you would feel that way, it's also an interesting insight into how one individual player looks at fan mail after his playing days. Any set or team collector has a list of tough ones they are trying to get for a variety or reasons, and they are usually players who just don't sign. Why? Who knows. Rich Coggins comes to mind. The man just doesn't answer fan mail, even after all these years. Anyone remember Dale Murray? What about Larry Howard? These guys weren't big stars, but still just don't sign. If you can find something signed by these guys it was during his playing days. I agree, there are those players who embrace the opportunity to connect with fans, and then there are others who embrace their privacy and just want to be left alone. He just happens to fall in the later group, and a reason why a private signing isn't a bad option for those set and team collectors who need him.

On a side note, I have often wondered if some of the aforementioned players don't sign TTM because they think fan mail has cooties? :)

Just to clarify, it isn't that people are fans of his career that creeps him out. It is the fact that he gets all of this unsolicited mail. He was very happy to talk about his career and baseball and how much he loves the fans. He just doesn't like getting mail at his house.

I've found this weird before too, but to hear a player say it directly to you makes it seem a little more legit.

Not trying to be his hero defender or anything, but I think you might be misinterpreting the problem a little.

Just to clarify, it isn't that people are fans of his career that creeps him out. It is the fact that he gets all of this unsolicited mail. He was very happy to talk about his career and baseball and how much he loves the fans. He just doesn't like getting mail at his house.

I've found this weird before too, but to hear a player say it directly to you makes it seem a little more legit.

Not trying to be his hero defender or anything, but I think you might be misinterpreting the problem a little.

I sent you a PM on this, and yes, I understand where he's coming from completely. Some players love getting fan mail, and others view unsolicited fan mail like you may view telemarketers. It's an invasion of their privacy. It's like you are watching a big football game. It's sudden death, and your team has the ball first and goal. Here's the snap, and the phone rings, "Hello, Billy, this is Scott from Woodstock Flooring, and I wanted to talk to you about our carpeting. How long....?" I'm guessing you would either hang up on the guy or maybe throw in a few choice words.

I digress.

Yes, it may be insulting to some, but our letters can often times be seen as an intrusion. He doesn't have to apologize for feeling this way. After all, it's reason and opinion, and he's entitled to it.

I get unsolicited mail every day! I can't stop it. Everyone out there wants to lend me money...who hoo! The political mail, the catalogs, the coupons to use at the local shops, the business opportunities, etc. Heck, I would see a TTM request or even a simple letter of admiration as a nice break to what is normally a mailbox full of junk!

Perhaps I would feel different if I were to actually be placed in that position, but I like to think I would embace the fame that came with being a MLB player. Signing autographs, etc. Some guys complain that "we" are only out to make a buck. To that I say there is an easy solution. Nobody pays big bucks for plentiful autographs. By making your autograph harder to get, you are only increasing demand and price for it.

I can appreciate the fact that he is a toughie now and may be wanted by certain collectors. Certainly the opportunity to grab a toughie (like Coggins) is welcomed by that fan who wants a certain card. I needed a 74 Topps Coggins for the longest time.

I just have a hard time buying that reason not to do it, but he doesn't have to have a reason nor is there any requirement that a celebrity do anything for the fans. He can have his policy and I can have my opinion of that policy.

I had no idea you found the signed '74 Coggins card! Congrats on that pick up!

"Fan Mail creeps me out!" --- dude, you were a public figure! Goes with the territory, bro.

BTW, PM me if you would like to sell a '90 Topps. I'm working on that set.

"Fan Mail creeps me out!" --- dude, you were a public figure! Goes with the territory, bro.

BTW, PM me if you would like to sell a '90 Topps. I'm working on that set.

That wasn't Wilkerson that said that. It was another member. He said TTM requests creep him out because it comes to his house.