Paypal Gift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

basebal1fan

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Personally, I think it's wrong to send paypal gift when purchasing cards. First of all, Paypal is providing a service and they desierve to get their cut when doing so. Also, people have been banned from Paypal from abusing this and will others, if people continue to abuse the system. If you don't like their rates, send cash or money orders instead! Paypal gift is meant for gifts, not purchases and that is why it's called "gift". That's just my opinion, I would like to hear what others have to say about it. Thanks!

-Jesse :D :D

My biggest gripe with paypal/ebay is that paypal now requires that buyers pay with paypal... and well both are owned by the same people... so why does each have to tack on fees for the ebay purchase and then the paypal purchase... doesn't seem fair to me... so I do not feel bad at all for using paypal gift, though I am stopping now seeing I do not want my account locked.

I dont enjoy the paypal fees by the cartel but they do save you some money on DC anyway so on low term trade why even bother with gifts.

i don't do paypal gifts...it's gotten so bad that I've just put it in my sig...i don't want anything to do with it.

Does anyone here have the ability to take credit cards like a store/retailer does? If so, perhaps they could share the costs to be able to do this. It costs money to be able to process credit card payments, but in turn you are opening your business to a much wider base of customers. Cash customers are a dying breed. In comparison, paypal may be close in that cost category, but it's a heck of a lot more convenient.

Is not having to wait for a mailed payment, not risking that bounced check, not having to cash checks/MOs or other payment issues of the past worth the fees? Sure, electronic payments have their own issues and risks as well, but imagine the drop in sales if you are one of the few that doesn't use paypal these days.

theplasticman hit it on the head. It seems many collector/sellers are kinda cheap when it comes to things like fees, mailing costs, etc when selling. They want to do business, but they want the buyer to cover all of their costs! I have found this especially true on ebay quite a bit. Sellers will explain their fee schedules, citing the need to cover their costs for fees, mailers, postage and even things like time to stand at the post office and gas to drive there! If it is that bad...STOP selling! If selling was an exercise in pure profit, then why would any businesses fail? Duh..they fail because there ARE costs involved in business!!

This is slightly off topic, but most big banks offer free online p2p transfers within their own customer base. I bank at Bank of America so I would be more than willing to send/receive funds via to p2p to/from fellow BofA online customers.

This is slightly off topic, but most big banks offer free online p2p transfers within their own customer base. I bank at Bank of America so I would be more than willing to send/receive funds via to p2p to/from fellow BofA online customers.

Hmmm interesting... this may be worth looking into for each bank... then make a list of traders at each bank who wish to be a part of it.

If you use paypal as a gift you have no recourse if the cards don't arrive.

Exactly what Dave said. The mod team is running into WAY too many trade gone bad cases lately where Paypal gift was sent and the buyer never received. If you choose to accept a paypal gift from someone, you should be careful and trust the person you are accepting from. You have NO coverage from Paypal if the cards don't arrive and there is not much we as the mod team can do to help you.

Sometimes coverage and peace of mind is worth the few extra cents.

Steph

Exactly what Dave said. The mod team is running into WAY too many trade gone bad cases lately where Paypal gift was sent and the buyer never received. If you choose to accept a paypal gift from someone, you should be careful and trust the person you are accepting from. You have NO coverage from Paypal if the cards don't arrive and there is not much we as the mod team can do to help you.

Sometimes coverage and peace of mind is worth the few extra cents.

Steph

Then again, I had problems where I paid for an item (non-ebay) and sent payment as a payment for an item or whatever it is called, paying the fees, and I never received the item and paypal said they could do nothing about it since it was not a ebay transaction. I just think it is a load of BS... and if you are sending money from a paypal balance, non-CC, then it should be free.

Yeah, we should get some mods in on this and see if we can actually do it. We could beat the paypal fees the right way! :D :D :D

Does anyone here have the ability to take credit cards like a store/retailer does? If so, perhaps they could share the costs to be able to do this. It costs money to be able to process credit card payments, but in turn you are opening your business to a much wider base of customers.

I had my own business not long ago...paypal was cheaper than what the credit card companies charged me to process payments...i think i paid a set fee per month, rental of the credit card machine, then it was a per charge fee of a min of $0.24 per transaction and went up depending on the amount of the transaction...then you have your payment gateway fees that people like Authorize.net charge...it's expensive trust me...i changed over to paypal as my processor and saved a ton each month right off the bat.

I've been using paypal personally since they were paying you $10 per person you got to sign up! They have been good to me, can't complain.

I agree with the general consensus and have added the no Payapl as a gift to my sig. line. Jim