Show a pic of a random card you own thread..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scobes with another RC of a Hall of Famer! !971 Topps had a lot of HOF/prominant RCs in it besides Bradshaw and Greene. Ken Houston, Willie Lanier, Marty Schottenheimer and of course Charlie Sanders for starters.

I'm thinking Charlie Sanders was part of the North Carolina to Minnesota pipeline in the 1960s since black players were not allowed to play in Southern schools. The state of North Carolina sent Bobby Bell and Carl Eller to Minnesota as well as Sanders. Michigan State was another school that really benefitted recruiting wise because the South was segregated. George Webster, and Bubba Smith came from Texas and WR Gene Washington came from South Carolina.

I'll bet Minnesota and my downtrodden alma mater wishes they could pull players like that again. Only in their dreams, unfortunately.
One of the first black qbs to play at a non-hbcu university was Craig Curry who starred for the Gophers. He led my high school to the National Championship in the mid-60s. Unheard of in the South.

One of the first black qbs to play at a non-hbcu university was Craig Curry who starred for the Gophers. He led my high school to the National Championship in the mid-60s. Unheard of in the South.
Wow! After reading your post, I had to look him up and he has a most interesting Wikipedia page!

My best friend from college is an insane Michigan football fan and he knows tons of people from the U of M football program over the decade. I've got to ask him if he knows about or actually met Craig Curry. There is a better than een chance he actually has.

i've been chasing this League Leader card for a couple of years. I set a limit of $15 for it. Finally got it. Corners are a little rounded for my taste, but the centering is ok. Only 3 to go to complete my LL subsets from 1960-1981.

Here's hoping in 2027 this will be a 3 HoF card.

67T NL HR LL 244.JPG

i've been chasing this League Leader card for a couple of years. I set a limit of $15 for it. Finally got it. Corners are a little rounded for my taste, but the centering is ok. Only 3 to go to complete my LL subsets from 1960-1981.

Here's hoping in 2027 this will be a 3 HoF card.

View attachment 101904
A great subset by Topps and a big reason I am enamored with older cards.

I wonder why Topps discontinued the LL cards especially since their base sets expanded to 792 cards? I guess they had "better" ideas.

That was thr last card I needed to complete that set..........Very nice..........

@metsman1986

I am missing 8 cards to finish the 1968 set.

1968 Topps #50 Willie Mays ($300)
1968 Topps #110 Hank Aaron ($100)
1968 Topps #177 Rookie Stars/Jerry Koosman RC/Nolan Ryan RC/UER Sensational/is spelled incorrectly ($2500)
1968 Topps #280 Mickey Mantle ($600)
1968 Topps #465 Tommie Agee ($10)
1968 Topps #487 Lee May ($10)
1968 Topps #490 Super Stars/Harmon Killebrew/Willie Mays/Mickey Mantle ($400)
1968 Topps #505 Joe Sparma ($10)

The big ones and a few SPs. One of these days!

Scobes