Show a pic of a random card you own thread..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012 Topps Walmart Blue #331 Albert Pujols no print on front

1679145268233.jpeg

I found it. At the 7:00 mark they say Tommy McDonald was the last postition player to not wear a facemask. The 2 devastating hits he took in this short segment make me wince! And yet the little dude played without a facemask!

And I will bet every card in Scobe's collection that Ricshles can ID the Browns quarterback who throws McDonalds last career td catch. And I'll go double or nothing he won't even have to look it up!

I found it. At the 7:00 mark they say Tommy McDonald was the last postition player to not wear a facemask. The 2 devastating hits he took in this short segment make me wince! And yet the little dude played without a facemask!

And I will bet every card in Scobe's collection that Ricshles can ID the Browns quarterback who throws McDonalds last career td catch. And I'll go double or nothing he won't even have to look it up!

What an interesting challenge. My first impulse is to say Frank Ryan. In that video with Gary Collins catching a TD from #13, that's definitely Ryan. I don't remember McDonald on the Browns. I thought he went to the Falcons the year after the card pictures him on the Rams.

What an interesting challenge. My first impulse is to say Frank Ryan. In that video with Gary Collins catching a TD from #13, that's definitely Ryan. I don't remember McDonald on the Browns. I thought he went to the Falcons the year after the card pictures him on the Rams.

Scobe's cards are saved!!!

My faith in you was well deserved. It was indeed Dr. Frank Ryan. I did not realize McDonald played with the Falcons in 67 or the Browns in 68 either. I know his heyday was with the Eagles, followed by stints with the Cowboys and the Rams but not the latter two teams. I'd have to look this up but I think McDonald was a teammate of Jerry Tubbs on those great Bud Wilkinson Oklahoma teams.

There is a really interesting video on Youtube about the smartest man ever in the NFL. It started by saying "With all due respect to Dr. Frank Ryan....." and then went on to make a more than compelling case for long time quarterback Charlie Johnson who had a Doctorate in Chamical Engineeering ! Either way those were two smart dudes!

Scobes with another RC of a Hall of Famer! !971 Topps had a lot of HOF/prominant RCs in it besides Bradshaw and Greene. Ken Houston, Willie Lanier, Marty Schottenheimer and of course Charlie Sanders for starters.

I'm thinking Charlie Sanders was part of the North Carolina to Minnesota pipeline in the 1960s since black players were not allowed to play in Southern schools. The state of North Carolina sent Bobby Bell and Carl Eller to Minnesota as well as Sanders. Michigan State was another school that really benefitted recruiting wise because the South was segregated. George Webster, and Bubba Smith came from Texas and WR Gene Washington came from South Carolina.

I'll bet Minnesota and my downtrodden alma mater wishes they could pull players like that again. Only in their dreams, unfortunately.

Back