Spring Training Contest! **WINNER IS T.ROOSTER**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

How about 45?

During the 90s I lived in Phoenix about 10 blocks down the road from where the Athletics train. Went there as often as I could and what made it especially fun was that most of the teams in the Cactus League train in the metro-Phoenix area so I had a the opportunity to see scores of games.

Those spring training games definitely had a different, more laid back feel to them when compared to the regular season.

Thanks for the contest.

Jay

That is awesome, what a cool way to spend your time each spring (and a cool place to live, I have just visited, but would love to go back to Phoenix!). I met a collector in 2009 when the Cardinals had the All Star Game in STL, and he told me that he volunteered as an usher for the Cards each spring, and came home with about 150 different signed items each year! Definitely speaks to your statement about a different atmosphere than the regular MLB season!

Numbers taken: 21, 29, 41,44, 100.

Never been to spring training myself, but several friends and family members have gone and said it is a great environment. My children are very small now, maybe as they get older! Have heard some people clean up graphing outside the parks, players will roll their windows down and sign for people as they go by!

The choice for today #8.

Wasn't into autographing when I was visiting the Spring Training facilities. We had a blast just hanging out with all the players at the stadiums and the bars afterwards. The 90's Tribe with Lofton, Baerga, Sorrento, Alomar, Thome, etc. were great. Charles Nagy might be one of the funniest people I have ever met.

The choice for today #8.

Wasn't into autographing when I was visiting the Spring Training facilities. We had a blast just hanging out with all the players at the stadiums and the bars afterwards. The 90's Tribe with Lofton, Baerga, Sorrento, Alomar, Thome, etc. were great. Charles Nagy might be one of the funniest people I have ever met.

Numbers taken: 8, 10, 17, 19, 21, 26, 29, 37, 39, 41, 44, 45, 52, 53, 62, 68, 72, 77, 83, 88, 100.

We talked about the NFL HOF, how do you feel about Jim Thome as a potential MLB HOFer? His name goes on in next year's ballot, first year eligible.

Numbers taken: 8, 10, 17, 19, 21, 26, 29, 37, 39, 41, 44, 45, 52, 53, 62, 68, 72, 77, 83, 88, 100.

We talked about the NFL HOF, how do you feel about Jim Thome as a potential MLB HOFer? His name goes on in next year's ballot, first year eligible.

Thome is tough for me - I met him, talked with him - he was a great guy. Based on that, would like to see him get in. Based on his on field accomplishments, I don't think he deserves to be in. I have a problem with accumulating stats as a DH.

I'll go with 13 today.

I may be in the minority here but the DH is a position on all A.L. rosters. As a lifelong Red Sox fan growing up in the 80s, I only knew the game with the DH. The few times I would see a N.L. hosted game, watching the pitcher looked painfully awkward that it looked almost unnatural.

As for his argument for being enshrined, compare him to Frank Thomas.

Thomas played 1308 of his 2276 (57%) career starts at DH (521 HR .974 OPS)
Thome played 1561 of his 2374 (66%) career starts at 1B/3B (612 HR, .956 OPS)

Considering Thomas was a no-doubt first round HOFer, I'd say Thome will be enshrined on the first ballot.

I'll go with 13 today.

I may be in the minority here but the DH is a position on all A.L. rosters. As a lifelong Red Sox fan growing up in the 80s, I only knew the game with the DH. The few times I would see a N.L. hosted game, watching the pitcher looked painfully awkward that it looked almost unnatural.

As for his argument for being enshrined, compare him to Frank Thomas.

Thomas played 1308 of his 2276 (57%) career starts at DH (521 HR .974 OPS)
Thome played 1561 of his 2374 (66%) career starts at 1B/3B (612 HR, .956 OPS)

That is an interesting comparison to Thomas. I had no idea that Thomas had played that many games at DH. I think there are a few things that favor Thomas over Thome though. He has a lifetime .300+ batting average which is a big benchmark. The two MVPs also are a big plus. He also had a 5 or 6 year run hitting where the experts were comparing him to Ted Williams.

The biggest plus for Thomas is perception. For a bunch of years in the 1990s it was a debate on who was the best between Griffey and Thomas......at least in the card collecting world. For several years Thomas was the most sought after card in the hobby. He was considered an all time great by many after only a handful of big years. Obviously this praise was just a tad over the top but as they say "perception is reality" and Thomas has always been considered a sure shot HOFer by most.

I know who is popular in the card collecting hobby is not an accurate baramoter of anyone's greatness or talent but it is fun to look back as to what players were the hot card in any given year. (Sam Horn 1988)

If Wikipedia is accurate, I find it shocking that Frank Thomas made the All Star team from 1993-1997 and never made it again! That is a shocker to me, if true.

#95 today, thank you.

Some interesting info on the Thome/Thomas comparison. I guess it isn't shocking that Thome has more games played in which he played a real position, rather than just DH, due to his time in Philadelphia. Only 5 All Star Games for Thomas, that is shocking, but still ended up with two MVP's. It may be that his perception benefitted from the fact that his baseball cards were neck and neck with Griffey, Jr. in the 90's???

But based on this info, I am more inclined to say the voters made a mistake (shocking...) in putting Thomas in so quickly, rather than saying the comparable stats mean that Thome is a lock first ballot.

But since it is the Hall of Pretty Good lately, Thome will get in on no worse than the 2nd ballot.