STOP putting tape on top loaders!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Over the years I have received toploaders, mini-snaps and magnetic holders all taped shut. To get rid of the tape residue I use Goo Gone the best product I think on the market.
Again, this is for a different thread. My Point, if you don't need tape, don't need rubber bands, don't need painters tape, don't need duct tape, don't need gorilla glue...WHY USE IT. Then you don't need Goo Gone!

It's a good idea to put the sleeve upside down in the top loader. And Blue painter's tape is very expensive. I use masking tape, which is the same as painter's tape but at 20% of the cost. I use tape to put multiple top loaders together and write The Bench, trade number, and user id on the tape. This is to send it as cheaply as I can, but still be safe.

Do not put the penny sleeve upside down in a top loader. I have received numerous cards shipped this way that end up with a dinged corner from hitting the inside bottom of the top loader as the cards have slipped in the penny sleeve.

Even with a tight fit, I've experienced cards sliding out during shipment due to high concentrated moisture getting around the packages.. I do not know how this has happened, but I've had a few cards basically "un-tighten" themselves when I first started trading 12 years ago and that is why I've always used tape.
I've even done the whole team bag with a top loader w/o tape to find out people then force cards out of top loaders sometimes with a tight fit to crease them and blame me because they are not careful..
I've gone to strictly taped top loadered cards. You're right, I can always flip the case around to prevent the cards from sticking to tape, but then there is an issue with it banging around in the loader. I've just never had it happen to my knowledge in 11 years that I've done this method (when taping the loader and having the card sleeve facing up right). Just be polite to the other trader and create a flip seam to remove the tape easy, as well as tightly seal the tape to prevent the card from moving around inside the loader with the sleeve. To be honest, I've received so many top loaders that have a pound of crud all over the loader, that I typically reuse them rather than using my fresh ones anymore.

Everyone has their own method, but 'You can please some of the people some of the time, but you cannot please all the people, all of the time'

Zach

Last edited:
I've traded/bought online for over 15 years and I have received many more cards that have been damaged because they slid out of an untaped or unbagged toploader than have been damaged because they stuck to the tape. For this reason, I would never send a card in a toploader that hasn't been taped or bagged. As Zach pointed out, just because it seems like a tight fit not doesn't mean it'll stay that way during shipping. Plus as he also mentioned, if you put the penny sleeve upside-down the bottom edge and corners now have unprotected contact with the hard toploader. That being said, I've done numerous trades with Bonzomoretti and have never received a damaged card.

But please people, if you tape the toploader PINCH THE TOP SHUT. That way the card can't come into contact with the tape unless the tape actually breaks. The safest method with cost as no object is penny sleeve, toploader, and team bag and I've gone to shipping this way almost exclusively. I only use the tape method if I'm sandwiching a team bag of penny-sleeved cards between two toploaded cards or if I'm sending something out in a previously-taped toploader and I'm afraid the card will slide up and get stuck to the tape if I don't pinch and re-tape.

Richard

Lately, I've had a number of purchases where the card has slid out and actually gotten stuck to the tape. Sticky tape residue has been left on the cards :(

I've stopped feeling bad about leaving negative feedback on eBay, and the 2 times this has happened I have left negative feedback. There is no excuse for this!!!

Good PSA!

-J

But please people, if you tape the toploader PINCH THE TOP SHUT. That way the card can't come into contact with the tape unless the tape actually breaks. The safest method with cost as no object is penny sleeve, toploader, and team bag and I've gone to shipping this way almost exclusively. I only use the tape method if I'm sandwiching a team bag of penny-sleeved cards between two toploaded cards or if I'm sending something out in a previously-taped toploader and I'm afraid the card will slide up and get stuck to the tape if I don't pinch and re-tape.

Richard

BINGO! You're right Richard, this is a must!

Agreed to all.....one more tip: buy some white address labels with the sticky on one side and put them over the pre-printed address on envelopes you get for junk mail. Often a company will send a plain white envelope with lines on the return address side, and the company address in the center. One or maybe two labels will take care of it, and you have yourself a TTM envelope. If you worry like I do, put some tape over the address you write on the label to be sure it stays!

I know it sounds cheap, but I havent bought envelopes in a year!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

I recycle and I don't use tape. I take envelopes my junk mail comes in and cut the small end to slip the mail out, I then can line up a toploader and cut a sleeve that absolutely fits snugly over a toploader with no risk of a card coming out of tape touching a card. Each envelope can make three sleeves. I can even add another penny sleeved card on either side inside the envelope sleeve.

I would have to agree, its a real pain in the you know what.... I always have one of those subway bread cutting knifes on stand by to perform surgery like tactics on toploaders and bubble envelopes (mainly to reuse).

You ever recieve one of those trades or purchaes with 5-20 cards and each is in a toploader and wouldnt you know it the person used 10% of the tape roll to cement them together.

The balance of my 6 cents - MUCH more concerned about traders who misrepresent condition of cards or send cards smelling like they have been in a damp basement for 20 years or smelling like smoke or pet hair included in the package. This is of special concern to me, as I trade for vintage much more than I trade for current cards and have thrown many "mint" cards in the trash.

+1 to that. I know not everyone shares this opinion, but when I receive cards that wreak of smoke smell, they are basically garbage to me.

Do not put the penny sleeve upside down in a top loader. I have received numerous cards shipped this way that end up with a dinged corner from hitting the inside bottom of the top loader as the cards have slipped in the penny sleeve.

+1 here too. This has happened to me as well.

I've even done the whole team bag with a top loader w/o tape to find out people then force cards out of top loaders sometimes with a tight fit to crease them and blame me because they are not careful.

I agree, you don't want the card sliding around freely. But I feel that if I have to use any amount of force to get a card out of a top loader, then the shipper used the wrong size top loader or overstuffed it.

The most common reason for card damage that I have experienced is that people think its a good idea to cram/stuff/pack/TIGHT-fit a game-used or thicker stock card into a standard size top loader. Or, they jam extra commons in along with the "good" card in order to get that nice tight fit. The card (especially a game-used card) is easily wrinkled either while shoving in or pulling out.

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online

No members online now.