The last few YSL cards needed before the big charity auction!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

This is shameful that this project seems to have disappeared from the spotlight and forgotten. Nobody will even comment now. Who has all the cards now? Who is "in charge"? Why is this not being closed up, auctioned and donated after years of sitting stagnant? At this rate, the set MIGHT be ready to auction by 2056! #FAIL!

As one of the top 3 donators, please tell me how you have the right to comment on the set. I searched the donators list and did not see your name on it. You see fail, I see ongoing effort for 2 last cards that are nearly impossible to get as they were stadium giveaways, not packed out cards.

From what I understand the set is complete but some of the cards are less than mint. If so put it up for auction noting the damaged cards get what you can get, and call it a win.

I checked with Meliah TODAY, and this is not correct. The missing cards are actually missing and have been since day 1. Again they are the stadium giveaways and are impossible to find. And yes, I spoke with Chris from Upper Deck at the National in Baltimore in 2012. He is fully aware of our effort, and confirmed that UD does NOT have any cards in their inventory that could help us. All were distributed.

I remember that the few cards that were not nm/mt were deliberately destroyed. Hopefully I am wrong. Meliah has the cards when he quit being a mod some years ago.

Sorry, no cards were destroyed, just a few replaced. The last 2 missing are truly missing. Leonof NJ has one of the others that needs to get into the set. Meliah has them all safe and organized, waiting for either the last 2 or a decision to be made on when to send what we have to auction.

A couple of years ago, the top donators and the MOD team took a vote about sending the set in to auction incomplete. Some wanted to send it as is and some wanted to complete it. In the time that we have been working on this, I have only seen a handful keep looking, David K, LeonofNJ, Anglionmics and myself, on a regular basis across many trade sites and ebay. We haven't given up, it's just that these last 2 are not showing up anywhere. Did anyone here go to the Yankees games in 2008 and early 2009 where these were handouts at the gates? Care to check to see if you have these 2?

Also, please keep in mind that we are going to have to figure a way to get these all to the auction. That is going to be very expensive just for the shipping, and I haven't seen anyone offering up any help.

Please if you are going to comment, please offer support and help for the project, not negative remarks or incorrect info. If you have leads on where or who has these last 2 cards, that would be appreciated. We still have over 100 duplicates that we would trade for either one of the last 2.

Does anyone have any positive ideas for these?

Thanks,

What are the remaining two cards?

From the YSL tab on the home page, we are missing the following:

1131, 1306, 2105, 4364, 4767, 5953, 6453, 6558

Which is different from the list on the initial post in this thread:

1131--2105--4767--5953

For cost of shipping to auction - if I remember correctly, we have a large amount of dupes, we could put those on Ebay and use the proceeds to cover shipping to auction??

The last 2 are 2105 (Yogi Berra), 4767 (Ron Guidry).

One of the others from the list of 4 is with LeonofNJ that needs to get added to the set. The other one was sent to Meliah. The list has been sort of updated as the thread has gone on, as Meliah has not been on the site for a long while to update the original.

Thanks,

The last 2 are 2105 (Yogi Berra), 4767 (Ron Guidry).

One of the others from the list of 4 is with LeonofNJ that needs to get added to the set. The other one was sent to Meliah. The list has been sort of updated as the thread has gone on, as Meliah has not been on the site for a long while to update the original.

Thanks,

Got it - thank you for the update!

Hey John, You finally talked to Meliah. The last time we Talked he wouldn't
Answer you either.Is anything wrong with him? He hasn't been on here for almost 3 years. I would think that someone who is holding thousand dollars of cards would let us know something. He never answered my PM's or the letters I sent directly to his house. I would think the owner of the Bench Pete , would want to know what is going on .I am just glad that some other members are wondering what is going on.
Leon
Runner up to David who was the highest contributer

Hi Leon! Try to reply to your pm.....your pm was full. I already checked comc....over 2,800 cards on their site.....but they did not have the two that we needed....off to ebay. Best regards, David

My comments finally got someone to wake the F up and at least comment on the thread. That was my goal.

I don't have any skin in this game other than following the effort and watching it go from a really great thing many years back to near death the last couple of years. I have as much right to make comments as any other member of this site, regardless of how many cards donated or not.

The effort behind this project has been poorly managed the last couple of years, or at least the information provided to the masses has been poorly managed. I am not going to go back and try to find them, but I am fairly certain that comments have been made to the effect that the set was fully completed years back, but that a couple cards were less than mint. If that was not the case, then it was not presented to the rest of us accurately.

People wanted answers (not just me) to what was going on and you finally breaking the silence should go a long way to breathe some life back into this project. If two cards are truly missing, then by all means, let the search continue. This site has seen a great decrease in traffic and activity in recent years, so keeping this project alive should be a priority, not let it fizzle as has been the case of late. I don't mind being the "bad guy" that had to poke until someone actually answered.

As one of the top 3 donators, please tell me how you have the right to comment on the set. I searched the donators list and did not see your name on it. You see fail, I see ongoing effort for 2 last cards that are nearly impossible to get as they were stadium giveaways, not packed out cards.

I checked with Meliah TODAY, and this is not correct. The missing cards are actually missing and have been since day 1. Again they are the stadium giveaways and are impossible to find. And yes, I spoke with Chris from Upper Deck at the National in Baltimore in 2012. He is fully aware of our effort, and confirmed that UD does NOT have any cards in their inventory that could help us. All were distributed.

Sorry, no cards were destroyed, just a few replaced. The last 2 missing are truly missing. Leonof NJ has one of the others that needs to get into the set. Meliah has them all safe and organized, waiting for either the last 2 or a decision to be made on when to send what we have to auction.

A couple of years ago, the top donators and the MOD team took a vote about sending the set in to auction incomplete. Some wanted to send it as is and some wanted to complete it. In the time that we have been working on this, I have only seen a handful keep looking, David K, LeonofNJ, Anglionmics and myself, on a regular basis across many trade sites and ebay. We haven't given up, it's just that these last 2 are not showing up anywhere. Did anyone here go to the Yankees games in 2008 and early 2009 where these were handouts at the gates? Care to check to see if you have these 2?

Also, please keep in mind that we are going to have to figure a way to get these all to the auction. That is going to be very expensive just for the shipping, and I haven't seen anyone offering up any help.

Please if you are going to comment, please offer support and help for the project, not negative remarks or incorrect info. If you have leads on where or who has these last 2 cards, that would be appreciated. We still have over 100 duplicates that we would trade for either one of the last 2.

Thanks,

Last edited:
My comments finally got someone to wake the F up and at least comment on the thread. That was my goal.

I don't have any skin in this game other than following the effort and watching it go from a really great thing many years back to near death the last couple of years. I have as much right to make comments as any other member of this site, regardless of how many cards donated or not.

The effort behind this project has been poorly managed the last couple of years, or at least the information provided to the masses has been poorly managed. I am not going to go back and try to find them, but I am fairly certain that comments have been made to the effect that the set was fully completed years back, but that a couple cards were less than mint. If that was not the case, then it was not presented to the rest of us accurately.

People wanted answers (not just me) to what was going on and you finally breaking the silence should go a long way to breathe some life back into this project. If two cards are truly missing, then by all means, let the search continue. This site has seen a great decrease in traffic and activity in recent years, so keeping this project alive should be a priority, not let it fizzle as has been the case of late. I don't mind being the "bad guy" that had to poke until someone actually answered.

although i have never made any donations to the set , i have also watched this project for years ... and kept wondering how long this could go on... i think the biggest misstep in communication that mrmopar is referring to came in the very first paragraph of this thread :

So, the good news is the YSL set is done. The bad news is there are a few cards that need to be replaced either from being dinged in the corner, off-center and there were 4 that I had on my list but were not here. After talking to a rep from an auction house the mentioned a set of this magnitude needs to be mint if we expect to get the most money for the charity.

in the very first sentence meliah tells everyone the set is done...based on that direct sentence , i would think that all cards are in hand...i'd say the confusion arose a mere one sentence later when he said there were a few cards that needed to be upgraded due to either dinged corners poor centering and then added that there were 4 cards that "were not here"....THAT tells me the set is not complete and makes his lead-in sentence entirely untrue ...

one of my personal issues arose when he went on to talk of how the representative from the auction house convinced him that the set had to be mint to get the most money possible that just came across as an excuse....if the extremely low number of cards featured damage and that damage was truly as minor as noted i am 100 percent certain the final numbers would not have been affected one bit....furthermore , i find it very surprising that an auction house would refuse to conduct the sale under those circumstances - after all - the auction house is merely the medium and really should not have the final say-so in refusing to sell something that has a minor defect rate of roughly .1%

i don't know meliah and i'm definitely not accusing anyone of anything dirty , but combine all that with the gradual disappearance and the lack of responses to attempts to reach him in recent years either here or directly , and it just made things look somewhat shady...

Thanks,

i included you in my multi-quote for a couple reasons....

yes , i did say that i never made any donations to the set...quite frankly i never had any cards needed for the set... when this began , i had literally none from the set , let alone any needs...over the years i came across a few here and there , but even now i still habve MAYBE as many as 10-15 cards from the set and none of the few needed...the fact that i haven't had any cards to donate should not preclude me from taking an interest in the site project though...

when you basically pat yourself on the back by boasting of being one of the "top 3 donators" (donors) and saying that mrmopar had no right to comment since you searched the DONOR list and didn't find his name , i think you crossed a line... that was rude and disrespectful and made it seem like you only donated for the attention (or potential prizes)... that may or may not be the case , but your opening sentence just stuck in my craw...

i'm also confused about these are now being referred to as stadium giveaways.... from all information i've ever been able to find about this set , the cards were ALL packed out and the only ones that were stadium giveaways were the PROMO SETS done before the real set was ever released...forgive me if i'm wrong , but where did this info about random cards being stadium giveaways suddenly come from ? honestly - this is the first time i have ever heard anything like this...

and finally....you close by telling people to offer help and support instead of posting negative remarks or incorrect info...that's just a bit too ironic since the opening sentence of the entire thread is incorrect ("set is done") and you yourself tell people they have no right to comment on the set simple because they aren't DONORS (sorry , i can't seem to get over seeing the non-word "donators" used so often)...

my only "positive idea" would probably be to forego using an auction house and conduct the sale on ebay - specifically using one of the major consignors such as probstein or pwcc...from what i've seen , their rates are very reasonable and their massive followings would probably garner as much or more attention than an auctionhouse anyway....yeah , i know my opinion doesn't matter since i havent donated so i'll shut up now but if i ever come across either of the 2 missing cards , i'll let you know...

Also check the Beckett inventory...and they did not have 2105 or 4767. Best regards, David PS Beckett, comc, also checked most of the ebay listings.

cmcjr99 - You're right, I did word that in a confusing way and for that I do apologize.

While I have not been on site for a couple of years I did used to manage this place and was a well established trader. I stopped collecting and life got really busy so I resigned from my position here and stopped dropping in. In terms of all this "not being able to reach me stuff" I have no idea about that, many Bench members I'm friends with on Facebook and/or I text with randomly. Two people contacted me about this thread in the last 2 days and here I am.

The auction house did not refuse to sell the set, they just mentioned that if we wanted to maximize the sale it would be best to have it be complete and in mint shape. I tend to agree with that opinion but since this set is so rare it's hard to say really how much that could change the end result of an auction.

I'm a good guy and am doing nothing shady. I have all the cards here and have been storing them and keeping them as safe as I can over the course of three different moves--soon to be a fourth. As I believe I have stated before, I would really prefer to complete the set before selling it but will go along with whatever the current management decides.

If anyone feels that I should not be storing these cards anymore for whatever reason just send me some money for shipping and I will be happy to free up the space :)

Hey Matt,,How come you never got back to me. Not only did I send you PM's but I wrote you 2 or Mabey 3 letters and sent them directly to your house . And as for getting money donations to move the cards, don't you have a lot of extra YSL' s that you could sell on eBay ? Or evan the special gifts that Upper Deck sent out .It has been to long with this project .I for one say sell it now."Ask the members what they want to do .
Leon
Leon

Ditto on the sell it now. Those last two....been searching for over a few years and nothing.....even offered on another site....$20.00 per missing card and it had no takers. Happy New Year! David

This is not a set of 1952 Topps. Its a huge ugly modern set, even the guy that put it together only did it for the UD prize. I know he had it on ebay. Anybody know if it sold and for how much? I would think looking at what you could get for it as is maybe the way to go. One last thing is there a market for it?

He's alive!!! Welcome back Matt, if not for just a quick pop in.

Good Mark Twain quote should go here :) Most likely just popping in for a bit until we get all this YSL stuff settled.

Hey Matt,,How come you never got back to me. Not only did I send you PM's but I wrote you 2 or Mabey 3 letters and sent them directly to your house . And as for getting money donations to move the cards, don't you have a lot of extra YSL' s that you could sell on eBay ? Or evan the special gifts that Upper Deck sent out .It has been to long with this project .I for one say sell it now."Ask the members what they want to do .
Leon
Leon

Well, any PM's you sent me I would not have seen since I was not coming to the site at all. As far as mail goes I don't know. I have moved a lot in the past few years so maybe it didn't make it to the right house or wasn't forwarded correctly by the PO? Not responding to you was not done on purpose in any way.

I do have extras of the YSL and they do sell decently on Ebay from what I can tell--I currently do not have an Ebay account though. I still have the extra prizes UD sent me but I promised we would give those out to the members that had the highest number of card donations so I would like to keep it that way if possible.

Ditto on the sell it now. Those last two....been searching for over a few years and nothing.....even offered on another site....$20.00 per missing card and it had no takers. Happy New Year! David

Happy New Year to you as well David! Nice to see you still destroying the post and trade numbers here :)

This is not a set of 1952 Topps. Its a huge ugly modern set, even the guy that put it together only did it for the UD prize. I know he had it on ebay. Anybody know if it sold and for how much? I would think looking at what you could get for it as is maybe the way to go. One last thing is there a market for it?

It did sell and if I remember correctly it went for around 20k, I believe he put about 15k into making the set so a nice profit. I'm not sure we could get that high for it but I believe there is a market for it still. Maybe a nice place like Heritage auction house might attract a higher type collector and garner a decent bit of change?

Side note--Back in the day a Mod here supposedly got an Email from Spawn creator Todd McFarlane (huge baseball collector) asking how close we were to completing the set. I never saw the Email though and that Mod later on ended up getting banned from The Bench, so looking back who knows. I guess it might not hurt for me to try and contact McFarlane somehow and see if there is any interest....ugh, this means I'll have to tweet I bet.

Matt,Have you ever gotten in touch with that Todd McFarlane guy yet to see if he is interested in the YSL set ?