To All I'm Currently Dealing With, Attention Diverted (Wife's Passing) +Press Release

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesNevans

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Check out the press release http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2011/02/07/state-workers-comp-leader-nevans-dies.html

Real quick, I wanted to make a thread to let people know I'm going to be a little preoccupied the next three weeks and won't be able to do a lot on The Bench. Many of you know that my wife has had some serious health issues she's had to deal with and ultimately was hospitalized this afternoon, so understandably I'll spending a lot of time away from the computer. When I do have time I have to get the remaining 33 hours of my 45 hour continuing education in to renew my Real Estate Broker's License, there is no extensions that are given, so I have to buckle down. I won't bumping or starting any new trade threads or responding to same, but will spend the little time on here that I can dealing with some open negotiations. I hope to see a renewed interest by the time I deal with these things, thanks for your consideration.

12-30-2010 Update:
Back to the hospital again today, she's spending the night in the ICU. Thought we had this on the right track when she went back on hemo-dialysis last week, but she had dropped to 99 lbs and the strength isn't there yet.

1-3-2011 Update:
She's a little better today, was able to stand and also sit in a chair beside her bed although still in ICU, they let me wash her which made her feel better too. They will dialyze her tomorrow morring and monitor her for possible release to me late in the afternoon, but the dialysis they did on Thursday at the clinic as well as some on Friday got her blood pressure to the 85/65 range whn 115/80 is around normal and what she is typically use to having here at home. She's got to get serious about eating and may be more at comfort at home. It's probably going to have her lose her job especially with the outgoing administration where she was a Schwarzenagger appointee and not being around for Brown's evaluation. She is still two years away from the 55 age requirement for a regular pension, a disability retirement is a fraction of what that would be, so I may have to have her on long term leave and tap whatever resources to get us through the next two years as I've let my own business stagnate since her stroke nearly two years ago, just a reminder I've spent years building up a personal network around the country of excellent real estate professionals, so if you are in need of a referral please let me help you in that regard.

1-6-2011 Update:
She came home from the hospital yesterday, I was told it's not often someone is released to home directly from ICU, but we have some issues of a serious nature to deal with that starts with her new primary care doctor on Tuesday and continues with a referral to a cardiologist. I'm sure she'll pull through but she is in miserable condion as of today, can't get out of a chair without help and her aphasia (trouble communicating) is particularly bad too as she is extremely tired and relying upon my being at her beck and call more than ever. I've asked for her to give me one evening tomorrow to spend uninterupted as I participate in the BSL draft, I'll probably tend to her needs from time to time as I am past my pick.

1-13-2011 Update:
Update today, still significant issues ahead for my wife and there is a significant enough risk of mortality, but she will stay hospitalized (back to hopsital 1-11-2011) until there is a course of treatment that allows for her to get better at home and as an outpatient.

1-19-2011 Update:
My wife had a feeding tube surgically installed in her abdomen last Friday, hopefully it will give her enough nutrition to build back her strength. She has been lethargic and out of it in the last three days which has me really worried. If all goes well though she'll be released on Friday to a nursing home to start her long rehab back.

1-25-2011 Update:
Tough day today, was there past 8PM. She was getting better over the weekend, even sitting in a chair for a couple hours at a time around both lunch and dinner on Sunday, but yesterday she had regressed, fluid on the lungs and I get a call this morning she had been moved to ICU with a lung infection. Had to authorize a peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC) that was installed into her jugular tonight as an iv line. Hopefully this is something that will allow her to let her body have what it needs to heal, but she has said she doesn't want to live permanently like this.

2-3-2011 Update:
Sadly this update is not good news. After having a very encouraging day yesterday things turned bad this morning when my wife had an atrial fibulation episode (heart beats fast, 230 per minute) and the prognosis is she will not make it home from the hospital. She needs heart surgery and yet she is not strong enough to survive it, she won't get better before another such attack permanantly damages her. Understandably I will be taking some time away from any trading and deal with preparations for her demise. Thanks to all for your concerns.

2-6-2011 Update:
The end came this morning just before 4AM on the west coast, she turned 53 in late November. Thanks to all for your warm wishes.

I will say one more thing I've mentioned to another member on this site already before her passing. I love two things in life, my wife and baseball, and at a time I have lost the bigger of the two I take solice in the other and it helps. My wife often commented in amusing fashion how tenderly I handled my cards. Thanks to the Bench for being a wonderful and caring community, not just a marketplace to exchange cards but as a place that enriches our life experience through sports and like minded people that share that love that become part of our family and friends.

20423087.jpg

Below, daughter's graduation from UCLA in June 2005, the above picture is from around the graduation from USC Law School in May 2008 about 10 months before my wife's stroke

20423166.jpg

Update 2-7-2011:
I'm going to post in the original post a link for a press release (up top) that many publications are picking up. I am so proud of my wife for the respect that she commanded in her industry for the work she did.

Last edited:
Thanks to all. A quick update, my wife will spend at least another night in the hospital this evening. She is responding well to initial treatments of antibiotics as low red blood cell and high white blood cell counts were indicative of her fighting an infection. It's possibly pneumonia as they feel she has fluid on her lungs. When I get her home she probably will walk around the house with the aid of a cane until she regains her strength and needs to put back on some of the weight she lost as her nausea and appetite have contributed to her inability to fight the infection, but at least it's something that has the ability to be treated.

I got a 4-hour course finished since starting this thread, so 29 more hours of homework to go.

I just got home with the wife from the hospital were she was three days, had pneumonia and anemia. Antibotics and a two unit blood transfusion did the trick. She also came up with a surprise abnormal heart arrhythmia twice the last night that may have to lead to cardiac ablation if it becomes an ongoing issue.

Continuing Education done and the wife is letting me get out of the house for a show in the Bay Area (100 miles) tomorrow, she is still very weak but is eating and feeling better.

Great news my friend, you know this is one Buckeye who will keep a positive thought for you and your wife's continuing improvement.

Back to the hospital again today, she's spending the night in the ICU. Thought we had this on the right track when she went back on hemo-dialysis last week, but she had dropped to 99 lbs and the strength isn't there yet.

She's a little better today, was able to stand and also sit in a chair beside her bed although still in ICU, they let me wash her which made her feel better too. They will dialyze her tomorrow morring and monitor her for possible release to me late in the afternoon, but the dialysis they did on Thursday at the clinic as well as some on Friday got her blood pressure to the 85/65 range whn 115/80 is around normal and what she is typically use to having here at home. She's got to get serious about eating and may be more at comfort at home. It's probably going to have her lose her job especially with the outgoing administration where she was a Schwarzenagger appointee and not being around for Brown's evaluation. She is still two years away from the 55 age requirement for a regular pension, a disability retirement is a fraction of what that would be, so I may have to have her on long term leave and tap whatever resources to get us through the next two years as I've let my own business stagnate since her stroke nearly two years ago, just a reminder I've spent years building up a personal network around the country of excellent real estate professionals, so if you are in need of a referral please let me help you in that regard.