Topps has MLB Exclusive for 2010?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noooo! Not sure I like the sound of this. I like having the choice of more than one producer.

This is a horrible development for the hobby. Topps and UD were making crap-tastic cards as it was after Donruss was denied and Fleer went under. If UD's out of the market (or forced into making un-licensed cards like Donruss) it just means Topps can get even lazier in their production and QC.

This is a horrible development for the hobby. Topps and UD were making crap-tastic cards as it was after Donruss was denied and Fleer went under. If UD's out of the market (or forced into making un-licensed cards like Donruss) it just means Topps can get even lazier in their production and QC.

hehe, I thought I was the only one who said that! But I agree, as of right now, I can not see how this can be good for the hobby.

Tal

I tend to agree...I just don't see any way that this could possibly be an improvement over what we currently have.

The one bright spot in the article was the fact that UD signed an extention with the Player's Union, so they'll be able to make cards of the current players, just not use their team names or logos.

Unlike Donruss, who can only use retired players, dead players or prospects.

Topps has some of the worst designs and cheap looking cards around...i dunno...the whole market is in the toilet so they have to try something i guess...if it doesn't work they will spread it back around i'm sure.

We will have to wait and see. If Topps can work to get kids more into it then it is worth it in the long run.

UD will still have MLBPA license? So they can put out those ****** cards with the airbrush'ed logo!

Yeah. Topps is really so concerned about getting the kids back into the hobby ... they brought us Triple Threads and Topps Sterling ... two of the most expensive "boxes" in the hobby.

I hear you. Hopefully, this time around it will be more than just talk. There is room for them to push the base and lower end stuff and get kids to want to open, collect, trade, etc to get them to love the stuff, without just opening packs, looking for hits, and throwing the rest away, as I have seen so many sadly do.

The way Upper Deck's products have been in 2009, it's essentially the same as having an exclusive anyway!

I think UD knew this was coming and that's why their 09 product has just been flat out terrible.

"The league also believes that one cardmaker can end the confusion of competitors selling multiple card series in hobby shops and big-box stores."

Yeah, there may only be one company making baseball cards, but how many different lines is Topps going to produce? My guess is around 20.

"The league also believes that one cardmaker can end the confusion of competitors selling multiple card series in hobby shops and big-box stores."

MLB I got a question for you. The resulting lowering of an already lower quality and rise in already high prices is good for the customer how exactly?

While I usually agree with you I have to disagree this time. I think Eisner will be the key here. I would look for Topps to get more innovative rather than less.

And from a personal standpoint, I probably would have given up collecting new cards if it wasnt Topps. I have 40 straight Topps sets. I would hate to see that end and would probably have to start collecting 1969 just to keep myself interested.

Thanks,

Jeff

I stopped buying Upper Deck products in 2006, but I have to agree that monopolies = higher prices and lesser quality. And talk about confusion - Topps made three versions of their base card this year when they produced Target and Wal Mart versions, plus the Team Sets which are essentially a fourth version using all the same pictures and designs. Then there's Topps Chrome.
Guess it will be even longer before Donruss/Panini comes back to licensed baseball.