Unfortunately, This Isn't An April Fools Day Joke...*UPDATED*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hey Craig,
I'm in a similar position. Work has been terrible and I'm selling off most of my Ripken collection. Just keeping a few of the nicer pieces and a couple things I like the most. I've also thought about whether I would start my collection again in better times and I doubt I could do it. With all the time and energy I've put into it I think it would just be too painful.

You never know though. It may be like when a much loved pet dies and you say "I'll never get another dog, it would be too painful" and then six months later you realize that living without that joy in your life is even more painful. Can't really make a rational decision when we're still digging the hole :(

I know I won't start up another Andre Dawson Collection. It would never compare. I guess I could make a "come back" as a Jerome Walton or Dwight Smith collector one day. I always liked those 2 guys.

Thanks
Craig

Craig, I wish you the best and congratulations on becoming a father.

Let's be in touch...I've often "bought" items from people selling their collection when they needed the cash, and allowed them to repurchase those items when they decided to do so. Best, Rob.

Craig,

I, like most others, am shocked, but totally understanding.

For the past 2-1/2 years I've been renovating a 110 year old Victorian (despite the fact I only had three years left on the mortgage of our previous house). My wife told me a week or so back that she wanted the dining room done by the time my son graduates from high school on May 23. That process is ongoing.

Last night, she said something akin to "Once you get this done, you'll finally be able to enjoy yourself by converting the attic to your Cubs room."

As I looked up at the ceiling in our living room that is partially torn out as part of the dining room renovation, I told her I would probably just continue on restoring the downstairs and let the attic wait until the rest of the house was done.

All of my collection remains in boxes and the attic has only a couple of working outlets (but it is now insulated, heated and air conditioned). As much as I can't wait to start work up there and finally get my "museum" back in order, it's more important to the family that the rest of the house get done first.

While it's not as drastic a measure as yours, I totally understand putting family first. When we were engaged, I sold off a 1984 Fleer Update set (remember how hot those were?) to help pay for her wedding band. I later sold autographed balls of Jimmie Foxx and Bill Veeck (oh, how I wish I still had those) to build a garage onto our first house. I sold Topps sets from '71 on up to pay for various bills/improvements.

While coming across Foxx and Veeck balls a second time may never happen, I don't regret for a minute getting rid of any of that stuff. In some ways, it's better for me as it helped me refocus my collection, rather than have a whole bunch of "stuff."

Yes, there are items I still have that would pain me to sell... my '69 Cubs ball, my 1974 Banks coach's jersey, his retired number flag that flew over the field in '08. Yet, if push came to shove, the family wins over every time.

You have been a great trading partner and I always enjoyed finding something for you (like the Dawson cover on this year's Cubs Convention program). Having two kids of my own, I can tell you the joy you will get from yours will far surpass anything you will get from collecting.

Best always, my friend...

Tony

I am really sad to hear this Craig. I liked your Dawson collection almost as much as you did. :(
But, you are definately making the right choice.
Hope your job situation improves. Best of luck.

Rich

I thought I was going to have to sell it all, but it turned out that all I had to do was quit buying. Then I wasn't as poor as usual, and it has worked out well. For the last year or so my collection has been put away, it's a hard habit to break! I still shop on ebay and wish I could have the new shiny stuff, and sometimes accidentally win stuff. ooops! It's funny though, my Rickey collection and I have been growing apart, and meanwhile Rickey cards are selling for more than ever on the bay. I am now thinking I'm going to sell a bunch of stuff anyway! I would rather put the money in a college fund for her, or something.... she's so worth it!

LittleSabathiaFan.jpg

robert326 - Thank you! I appreciate the offer but I won't be wanting anything I'm selling back. I'm an all or nothing kind of guy. It just wouldn't be the same knowing what I had. Thanks for the offer though!

Tony Kozelichki - Thanks for the kind words my friend! It sounds like you've got one heck of a project on your hands! You are one of the reasons I know I could never leave The Bench regardless of my collecting status. I would come back just to read the Cubs Convention Report you post every year! I love it!

dankir96 - Your parents must be so proud! I really have so much I would like to say to you right now but you aren't worth the trouble the situation would cause the mods. There is no sense in replying because you are going back on the ignore list.

Trader Rich - Thank you! I appreciate that.

RyanL24 - "sometimes accidentally win stuff." That may be the best line I have EVER read!

Thanks
Craig

Last edited:
Craig,
Someone has already used this word, but it fits... this is the noblest of reasons. I find myself on again and off again. My wife is pregnant with our second child. Right now, I'm off again.
Little ones have this amazing ability to make you forget about all of the peripheral stuff that life throws at you, and all of the peripheral stuff that you find in life. The OCD that makes you be an all or nothing guy will make you a wonderful dad.
It's great that you're keeping the personalized stuff. That's something you can share with the next generation.
Congrats on your news. Hopefully, you raise a happy and healthy baseball fan!
-Casey
PS... If there's any Dawson/Sandberg stuff, I wouldn't mind a crack at it.

loftheb - Thank you! Congrats on #2! I hope everything goes well for the two of you. My child will have to be a baseball fan or they will not be happy in this house!

Thanks again!
Craig

loftheb - Thank you! Congrats on #2! I hope everything goes well for the two of you. My child will have to be a baseball fan or they will not be happy in this house!

Thanks again!
Craig

Hey Craig
You know how I feel about this. I am happy on one hand on the arrival of a ewSteely McBeam fan. I will make sure he gets a little steeelr shirt to wear home fro.m the Hospital. Just make sure you dont disappear like Legacy. Later and take care your very OLD friend
Tom

Hey Craig
You know how I feel about this. I am happy on one hand on the arrival of a ewSteely McBeam fan. I will make sure he gets a little steeelr shirt to wear home fro.m the Hospital. Just make sure you dont disappear like Legacy. Later and take care your very OLD friend
Tom

Tom - Anything Steeler you related you send this way will be used as a diaper! :D

Thanks
Craig

From what everyone tells me, it won't last long!

Thanks
Craig

Plus you're going to need a TON of Steeler's stuff!!!

Renée's grandma got her a little pink Rockies onesie from WalMart... I didn't think it was that cool, until lil Nené had a blowout all over it. It was poetic! Although not really that funny until the air cleared a bit and the hindsight kicked in.

I hope you love it Craig! I never really liked kids that much, and really didn't want to have any of my own. But now that I have her I can't believe I waited so long! I mean, I actually spent 6 years in a marriage and intentionally produced zero children. Crazy...

Plus you're going to need a TON of Steeler's stuff!!!

Renée's grandma got her a little pink Rockies onesie from WalMart... I didn't think it was that cool, until lil Nené had a blowout all over it. It was poetic! Although not really that funny until the air cleared a bit and the hindsight kicked in.

I hope you love it Craig! I never really liked kids that much, and really didn't want to have any of my own. But now that I have her I can't believe I waited so long! I mean, I actually spent 6 years in a marriage and intentionally produced zero children. Crazy...

RyanL24 - Another classic! :D

Thanks
Craig

Hey Craig
Very happy to here that you are about to start a family. Enjoy the little ones because the time flies. We have 4 and that are 13,14,19 and 21 and it seems just like yesterday that they were all 10 and under. If you really do end up selling and I really really hope it doesnt come to that contact me and if I am in the position to buy you know I would be interested in a few things.
Congrats My Friend:
AJ

Hey Craig,

Sorry that I did not see this post earlier. As much as I hate Andre Dawson the opposite can be said of you. You're a class act and a great trader and I wish you nothing but the best my friend. I know exactly what the feeling is like when you know that a sacrifice has to made but I can tell you that in the end it was worth it and I would do it over again without hesitation. When you are a guy that has the ability to realize what true priorities are and then doing whatever it takes to make those priorities happen then you are a blessed man regardless of the amount of money in your pocket. Like I said before, I wish you and your family nothing but the best. Thanks for putting up with all my anti-Dawson jokes through the years :) Remember this, if you don't look back then you will have no regrets.
-Keith