unlicensed/Broder identification guide/catalog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

For the 20-Card The Press Box set with the store address, Strawberry is #9 of 20. Are you going with 1987 for all The Press Box sets?

The CD is the same as the book. The book came with the CD when I bought it. It's just a handy tool for searching/sorting. No extra info though as far as I can tell.

I was just curious if the CD has the same information as the 2008 catalog or if included the extra stuff from 2003 was was removed for the print version.

Yes, I'm going with 1987 until I find some other date associated with the sets. I really need to pick up some old Baseball Card Magazine and Tuff Stuff back issues to scour the adds for these.

BTW, Tim, I just ran across some of your old newsgroup postings from the late 90s, selling a lot of the stuff you're finally unloading here on The Bench!

The catalog is coming along nicely, I've got about 20 pages that cover probably 40 or so sets (including various series). Only a few of the checklists are complete, and some will be difficult to sort out (especially the blue/black version of the 1987 Action Superstars).

Thanks for the help so far!

Last edited:
Finally received my 2003 Standard Catalog, and it's got a ton of stuff they'd dropped by 2006. It seems like it would benefit SCD to split the Standard Catalog into multiple volumes, though. Perhaps a "vintage" book that only lists cards issued before 1980, and another that covers 1980-current. The vintage book wouldn't need to be updated every year since very few "new" sets are likely to be discovered, and it would allow them to print a somewhat smaller, but more comprehensive modern book.

Oddly, in some cases, they'll list a series 2 for some of these unlicensed sets but not series 1. And they list the 1989 Rookie Superstars set, but none of the other "Rookies" sets that were released from 1987-1990. I really wish they'd have included pics of the card backs since so many have similar front designs.

I've already filled in the checklists for a few sets and will add a lot more as the week progresses.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an earlier edition of the Standard Catalog, maybe between 1996-2002? I'd like to know if earlier editions have more of these unlicensed sets listed.

Thanks!

Nice work on the lists.

http://daclyde.googlepages.com/broder

I can fill in a few holes for you:

1986 Broder #29 Clemens
1988 Action Superstars Series 1 #16 Dwight Evans
1988 Action Superstars Series 2 #26 Strawberry
1988 Action Superstars Series 2 #27 Canseco
1988 Action Superstars Series 2 #29 Burks
1988 Action Superstars Series 2 #34 Schmidt
1988 Action Superstars Series 2 #35 Dawson

Thanks for the assist! I'll try to get another dozen or so sets added this week.

Does anyone have an earlier edition of the Standard Catalog, maybe between 1996-2002? I'd like to know if earlier editions have more of these unlicensed sets listed.

Thanks!

I have all the ones from 4th (1995) to now, it looks like they started listing the magazine cards etc in 1999. The catalog changed editors last year and the new guy seems to have eliminated a lot of stuff.

The 2003 edition lists the "Rookie Superstars" set. Do any of your earlier editions list the similar "Rookies" sets for 1987-1990? These were the ones that had the baseball cartoon on the back and just said "The Rookies....#6" "The Rookies III #8" or something similar on the back.

I think the 2006 edition is where things went sharply downhill as all of those unlicensed sets are gone and the book's index is actually from an earlier edition, so none of the page numbers are accurate.

Hi again

The 2002 Catalog shows a 1989 Rookie Fever Series 1
1 - jerome walton
2 - Steve Avery
3 - Greg Vaughn
4 - Dwight Smith
5 - Todd Zeille
6 - Ken Griffey Jr
7 - Craig Biggio
8 - Jim Abbott
9 - Roberto Kelly
10 - Ken Griffey Jr

and the mentioned 'Rookie Superstars' as a 1989 issue with two series

It's the only one prior to 2003 with any mention of rookie superstars in the index, although from 99 to 05 there are many border issues listed.

2006 was the last year of Bob Lemke as Editor, probably didn't have much control over content.
You're right it was a better catalog in past years. I thought about not getting it this year but my wife got one anyways for my birthday.

I have these, my scanner isn't working or I would send you scans of them. Hope it helps.

1987 Action All-Stars #10 Wade Boggs
1988 Action All-Stars Series II #14 Wade Boggs
1988 Action All-Stars Series II #21 wade Boggs
1988 Play Ball America #NN Wade Boggs
1989 Baseball's Top Twenty Series I #10 Wade Boggs
1989 Grand Slam #NN Wade Boggs
1989 Pacific Cards & Comics #9 Wade Boggs
1989 Preview #15 Wade Boggs
1989 Singles Superstars #2 Wade Boggs
1990 Big League All Stars #3 Wade Boggs
1990 Shanks Collection #10 wade Boggs
1990 Shanks Collection #31 Wade Boggs
1991 Ballstreet #28 Wade Boggs

I'm going to get back to it, but I'm going to be on the road a lot for the next 3 weeks. I'll hit it again in June and try to add another 20-30 sets.

I could help out a little eventually. I have singles from some of these issues and others, but I often obtained complete groups or sets as well. Most are buried now, but I will be finding them someday.

By the way, anyone in touch with tpeichel? He seems to have dropped off the face of the card collecting earth!

Cool, I'll have a look and get the site updated this evening. I'll have to repost the address since it got ported over to Google Sites.