What are your Collecting Goals for 2021

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Good question. It's probably time for me to branch out from frank Thomas. I've been thinking of collecting the red Sox players I grew up watching from the years I lived in Boston. Probably will limit it to 4 or 5 players, certain brands, maybe base cards only. I'll think about it when I hit 1000 Thomas's (less than 50 to go)

Last edited:
The one goal I have that realistically think I can achieve is to complete my 1972 Topps set. I am down to the last three cards. I just need the Carew, Carlton Traded and Robinson Traded. There are now two monthly shows in my area so I think I can get this one.

The other set I would like to complete is my 1964 Topps Giants set. I have always really liked the looks of those cards and only need 4 more. But I need Koufax, Clemente, Aaron and mays so this will will not be cheap. But these cards are reasonably priced (at least for now) so I think I can knock this one out also.

And the other card I would really like to find and complete my set is the 1969 Topps Deckle Jim Wynn. I have been looking for this card for a while and it just seems that I cannot find one. I did get the Joe Foy recently but the Wynn is proving top be quite elusive.

My collection is now nearly organized since I moved into the new house and I actually have a room dedicated to my collection. So for the first time since I was a kid I will have my collection organized the way I want. I spent 20 years in the US Navy and had portions of my collection in different locations but I now have it ready to be organized.

I will start to print out some needs lists for different people on The Bench so I can take those want lists with me and hopefully help some people out. I have done this plenty of times in the past but I need to organize this a little better so i bought a bigger (and more expensive) printer to help this project out a little.
An update and a pretty good one!!

Picked up the Carlton Traded and the Robinson Traded today. I am down to just the Carew for my 1972 Topps set.

And I wanted to add one more goal for this year. I am not sure how many people are familiar with the 1975/6 SSPC set. I just picked up the Noland Ryan variation and I am down to just the Aaron to finally put this set to bed also. This is a great looking set and the cards are really affordable in my opinion for such a great looking set. I highly recommend this set if someone is looking for something challenging and affordable.

I'd like to get a Rickey Henderson auto. They're not cheap, and I'm kinda picky. I want him in an Oakland uniform. Narrows down the possibilities. I'd also like to get a Pedro Martinez auto, and I'd love to land an OPC Schmidt rookie. Three expensive goals. LOL.
Thanks to Trish, I have already crossed one goal off my list. Now in possession of a Rickey Henderson (and Lou Brock) dual auto. :)

I'd like to add just 10 cards to my 2001 Topps Master set. Even the easy cards are not easy to find after 20 years.

Just picked up two more cards as part of my goals for this year.

I completed the 1975/76 SSPC set. I thought the Aaron was the one I needed but it was the Yount. Got it off of Sportlots for 4.00.

I also picked up one of the 1964 Topps Giants I needed. I just bought the Clemente off of Sportlots also. Got it for 25.00 which I figured I could not pass up. I am down to the Koufax, Aaron and Mays to finally complete the 1964 Topps Giants set. I have been working on this set for quite a while and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. But on a sad note, I just bought the most recent Beckett Vintage magazine. The Koufax is now 120.00, the Aaron 60.00 and the Mays 100.00. These cards are flying up in value.

Month 1 Progress on Goals
Trout 559-a little over 100 in January
Lemahieu -266 /1778 14.9%
Alonso- 288

Completed other trader sets 11

Sets Finished in 2021
2020 Topps Chrome X2 1/21
2018 Bowman Chrome Draft 1/21
2020 Stadium Club Chrome 1/21
2020 Bowman Draft X2 1/21

Just picked up two more cards as part of my goals for this year.

I completed the 1975/76 SSPC set. I thought the Aaron was the one I needed but it was the Yount. Got it off of Sportlots for 4.00.

I also picked up one of the 1964 Topps Giants I needed. I just bought the Clemente off of Sportlots also. Got it for 25.00 which I figured I could not pass up. I am down to the Koufax, Aaron and Mays to finally complete the 1964 Topps Giants set. I have been working on this set for quite a while and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. But on a sad note, I just bought the most recent Beckett Vintage magazine. The Koufax is now 120.00, the Aaron 60.00 and the Mays 100.00. These cards are flying up in value.
Well, I guess my goal of the 1964 Topps Giants set juts got set back a little. The seller of the card on Sportlots decided he could not fill my order. That really burns me up. I am pretty certain that he just did not want to sell the card for that price. I let him know that in the feedback I left. I wonder if there is a way for the sellers on sportlots to adjust the price of their cards before they are sold? Not just decide that they do not want to sell the card at that price once someone wants to buy it.

Well, I guess my goal of the 1964 Topps Giants set juts got set back a little. The seller of the card on Sportlots decided he could not fill my order. That really burns me up. I am pretty certain that he just did not want to sell the card for that price. I let him know that in the feedback I left. I wonder if there is a way for the sellers on sportlots to adjust the price of their cards before they are sold? Not just decide that they do not want to sell the card at that price once someone wants to buy it.
That sounds like bad business on his part. DG

That sounds like bad business on his part. DG
I just know that he looked up the current price for that card and decided that he could probably get more money for it. I have placed hundereds of orders on sportlots and this is the first time this has happened to me. It just sucks. I know I will probably not get the Clemente for 25.00 at a show.

I just know that he looked up the current price for that card and decided that he could probably get more money for it. I have placed hundereds of orders on sportlots and this is the first time this has happened to me. It just sucks. I know I will probably not get the Clemente for 25.00 at a show.
This is happening a lot because beckett is so off now. For what ever reason 10-15 year old cards are through the roof with pricing. Old Jordan inserts I sold in bulk for 10 cents are selling for 50.00 on ebay. People that are selling on sportlots need to keep up with the pricing and adjust accordingly but if somebody puts a card out for sale and they priced it incorrectly they should just take the knock and sell the card, they are still probably making a profit just not what they would have liked with the value going up. Greed!!!!

This is happening a lot because beckett is so off now. For what ever reason 10-15 year old cards are through the roof with pricing. Old Jordan inserts I sold in bulk for 10 cents are selling for 50.00 on ebay. People that are selling on sportlots need to keep up with the pricing and adjust accordingly but if somebody puts a card out for sale and they priced it incorrectly they should just take the knock and sell the card, they are still probably making a profit just not what they would have liked with the value going up. Greed!!!!
I just placed another order on sportlots. I ordered a 1960 Topps #450 Orlando Cepeda. He has it listed for 20.00 but I just looked in my Beckett Vintage and it is at 80.00 and going up. I am hoping that this person will fill this order.

My goal is to go to a sports card show and ONLY purchase thing's I am specifically looking for!

I tried yesterday and failed lol. Spent my card allowance and literally got nothing off my most wanted list.

An update and a pretty good one!!

Picked up the Carlton Traded and the Robinson Traded today. I am down to just the Carew for my 1972 Topps set.

And I wanted to add one more goal for this year. I am not sure how many people are familiar with the 1975/6 SSPC set. I just picked up the Noland Ryan variation and I am down to just the Aaron to finally put this set to bed also. This is a great looking set and the cards are really affordable in my opinion for such a great looking set. I highly recommend this set if someone is looking for something challenging and affordable.
agree on those SSPC cards looking pretty nice. And the only licensed card that pictures Harmon Killebrew in a Royals uniform I believe. I will keep an eye out for that Carew, and I have been picking up a few 72's myself.

My goal, keep up to date on tradelist, (adding and deleting traded cards, get want lists for the 90-2020's topps set needs, and get the "new" 72 topps set in heritage, complete with sp's.

It was kind of a slow month. Trout is well on track to hit 1000. DG

Month 2 Progress on Goals
Trout 624- 65 new in February
Lemahieu -311/1847 16.8%
Alonso- 307- 19 new in February

Completed other trader sets 15

Sets Finished in 2021
2020 Topps Chrome Update 2/21
2020 Topps Chrome X2 1/21
2018 Bowman Chrome Draft 1/21
2020 Stadium Club Chrome 1/21
2020 Bowman Draft X2 1/21

Work is picking up but once all the new product starts flowing it should be OK. Looking for these 3 guys if you have them. Thanks DG

Month 3 Progress on Goals
Trout 683- 55 new in March
Lemahieu -345/1906 18.1% moved up over a percent, I'll take it
Alonso- 318- 11 new in March

Got an update for my collecting goals:

I picked up the 1969 Topps Deckle Jim Wynn today. Got it at a show for 10.00 which I thought was fair. So I can check that one off the list>

I also talked to a guy and I am going to be getting the 1972 Topps Carew next Saturday. The guy is meeting me at 9:00 AM so that is another one I can cross off the list.

So some of my collecting goals have been met.

Not bad so far this year.

The one goal I have that realistically think I can achieve is to complete my 1972 Topps set. I am down to the last three cards. I just need the Carew, Carlton Traded and Robinson Traded. There are now two monthly shows in my area so I think I can get this one.

The other set I would like to complete is my 1964 Topps Giants set. I have always really liked the looks of those cards and only need 4 more. But I need Koufax, Clemente, Aaron and mays so this will will not be cheap. But these cards are reasonably priced (at least for now) so I think I can knock this one out also.

And the other card I would really like to find and complete my set is the 1969 Topps Deckle Jim Wynn. I have been looking for this card for a while and it just seems that I cannot find one. I did get the Joe Foy recently but the Wynn is proving top be quite elusive.

My collection is now nearly organized since I moved into the new house and I actually have a room dedicated to my collection. So for the first time since I was a kid I will have my collection organized the way I want. I spent 20 years in the US Navy and had portions of my collection in different locations but I now have it ready to be organized.

I will start to print out some needs lists for different people on The Bench so I can take those want lists with me and hopefully help some people out. I have done this plenty of times in the past but I need to organize this a little better so i bought a bigger (and more expensive) printer to help this project out a little.
Well I completed 2 of the three goals. I picked up the Carew today to complete my 1972 Topps set. It is fully complete with all the variations. I had to pay 70.00 for the Carew but I held my breath and paid it. That is 10.00 over book but that card has been nearly impossible to find. The guy I bought it off of said he pulled it from his personal collection. But it is finally finished.

But on another note, I do not think I am going to finish that 1964 Topps Giants set. Those last 4 are proving to be very tough to find. I was at a show last week and one guy had the Mays but it had been beat to death and he wanted 75.00 for it. Way too steep for my blood.

And finally, I have been picking up some cards for other collectors to try and help out. I have helped a few people and hope to help some more as the year go along.