09 Collecting Goals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm making it simple this year.

1. Take inventory of my RJ collection before the 09 cards come out.
2. Continue to buy less and sell more
3. Continue to buy with only what I sell
4. Slim down the cards that are collecting dust
5. Finish 07 & 08 Milestones white sets

1. Accomplished - I did it but have to redo it since I moved the RJ cards from albums and into boxes to conserve space.
2. Accomplished - Bought ALOT less, Sold ALOT more.
3. Accomplished
4. Accomplished - Wow, try around 15,000 less cards
5. Not Finished - 14 more to go.

1. Reach 50% of Bagwell cards out there
2. Reach Bench HOF status (shouldn't take too long)
3. Finish off some of the random sets I've tried to put togther like my 98 topps stars set, 08 A&G minis, 02 donruss originals and 02 donruss best of fan club
4. Get more of my trade bait up onto my website so i can trade more easily with people
5. Get my cards organized (I have too many stacks all over my desk)

Hopefully I can help a bunch of other collectors with their goals as well

Dan

I did ok with some of the goals

1.Accomplished with room to spare
2.Accomplished
3. Not so much. Have narrowed these sets down some, but did not complete any of them.
4. Did this somewhat, but time always seems to mess this goal up
5. Not so much. Old stacks are gone, new stacks have shown up.

At least I've really enjoyed trading here, and I think my collection has gotten a lot better over the past year.

Dan

1. Reach 3,500 different Ripken cards (currently at 2901).
2. Reach 100 different Ripken GU cards (currently at 86).
3. Complete the 2007 Upper Deck Spectrum Cal Ripken Road to the Hall Gold (#'d/99) set (currently at 78/100).
4. Reach 500 trades and 5,000 posts on The Bench.
5. Possibly work on my completing my 1970-1972 Topps sets and upgrading my 1973-1979 Topps sets.

I'll add more if I think of them before 2009.

1. Didn't make it, I currently have 3,271 different Ripken cards.
2. Very close, I currently have 99 different Ripken GU cards.
3. Didn't make it but made a lot of progress although these have really dried up on eBay, I am currently at 93/100.
4. Accomplished 50% of this one, reached 500 trades but am still very far away on the posts.
5. Did abosolutely NOTHING to work on this goal.

Here is my update:

1.Finally complete the 1975 SSPC set (18 cards)
2.Finally complete the 1975 Topps set (15 cards)
3.Complete the 1973 Topps set (50 cards)
4.Get to 80% complete on the 1972 set and 75% on the 1971 set

1.Checked my set and realized that I am actually 24 cards short. UGH!!!
2.Down to 8 cards
3.Down to 3 cards!!
4.At 75% on the 1972 set but only at 54% on the 1971 set.

Updated once and for all.

I am actually going to try and slow down my collecting this year.

1. Complete the Topps and UD base and update sets - Done
2. Try to get all 75 Tommy John YSL cards - still going
3. After that, try for Tommy John SC - maybe in 2010
4. Keep donating to The Bench's YSL set - still going

Thanks,

^^^

Hey Gang -

It seems we run a thread like this here every year so I have decided to get it going myself this year. So - What are your collecting goals for 2009? I will start with mine and you will see why I wanted to get it going.

First - the standards.
- Complete the 09 Topps, Heritage, Allen & Ginter, Opening Day and Updates and Highlights sets as usual DONE
- Add at least a dozen autographs to my certified Red Sox autographs collection DONE
- Organize my other Red Sox cards (an ongoing battle that I am not close to winning) NOT EVEN CLOSE

Second - the "I am only doing this once" goal.
- I have recently realized that 2009 will represent my 40th year of collecting Topps base sets so I am going to do something a little more this year. I am going to attempt all of the inserts for the base set (not including autos and game used). DONE
- I am also going to attempt to put together the gold #d to 2009 (I assume) set. This is the really special part for me. DONE

Thanks,

Jeff

The only thing I have not done yet is the 09 Heritage High Number set. I am still trying to decide if I want to or not. I am kind of burned out on the whole SP thing.

Thanks,

Jeff

I made no major advances in my collection.
My biggest and only big addition to my collection in 2008 was the pickup of a 1997 Upperdeck Game Jersey Griffey Jr card.
Looking into 2009 I am hoping to pick up a Bob Feller Rookie and a Steve Yzerman Auto.

I accomplished 1/2 for 2009. I got the Yzerman auto but can't get a good deal on a Feller RC so I have had to pass so far.

1. Attend a some more White Plains shows this year. Been to two so far.
2. Try and end the year in the black! That is, sell more than I buy. Surprisingly, doing decent here, still need to sell more.
3. Add 10 more O'Neill autos to the PC this year, 5 of them high-end Added 2 so far, 1 high-end
4. Complete the Don Mattingly PSA Basic Set (ungraded), currently at 55/107 cards. Currently at 72.
5. Reach the 1,000 mark for my O'Neill collection, currently at 843. (the toughest one!) Now at 897, gonna be tough.
6. Reach the 50% mark for Mariano Rivera 1990-2003 releases (currently 46.7%, 363/777 cards) At 379 now, only 9 more to go.
7. Finally complete the Marvel I, II, III; 1992 Marvel Masterpieces; X-Men 1 & 2. Within 10 cards of completing Marvel I, II, III. Still need most XMen/Masterpieces.

Final update:
1. Completed!
2. Ended up $250 in the hole. :rolleyes:
3. Completed! I got some really nice autos this year.
4. Currently at 93/107, the last few are tough to find via trades.
5. Will likely finish the year at 950 O'Neills. This was harder (and more expensive) than I thought. I hope I can reach 1000 next year.
6. Still a handful of cards short of 50% for my Rivera collection.
7. Only 3 holograms short of finishing Marvel Universe I, II, III. Missing a bunch from the other sets.

1) Finish off the 2008 A&G, Heritage baseball. 2008 UD Heros football. 2007-8 & 2008-9 OPC hockey sets.
2) Get my Expos autograph collection to 100+ diffrent.
3) Get my Hockey HOF autograph collection to 150 diffrent.
4) Get my baseball HOF autograph collection to 50 diffrent.

I'm sure there will be more to add as the years goes on.

1) Finish off the 2008 A&G, Heritage baseball. 2008 UD Heros football. 2007-8 & 2008-9 OPC hockey sets.
The less said about this one the better.

2) Get my Expos autograph collection to 100+ diffrent.
Done, if not I am less then 5 away.

3) Get my Hockey HOF autograph collection to 150 diffrent.
Did not have a chance to count, only picked up a few HOFers I did not have so I am not sure how many in my collection.

4) Get my baseball HOF autograph collection to 50 diffrent.
Only picked up a few this year so I may be at 30.

Okay, I'm going to be a bit ambitious this year.

1. Reach 3000 different Chipper Jones cards. (2614 on 01/01/09)
2. Find the last 40 Chipper base cards from 1990-2008 that I don't have.
3. Reach 750 trades here on The Bench and hit 5000 posts.
4. Continue moving out the rest of my commons, which has been a very slow process.
5. Get to the East Coast National in White Plains, NY for the third year.

Well, that should keep me busy... ;)

1. Done a long time ago. At 3210 as of 12/31/09.
2. Heh. Did not have too much luck with this and then cross-checked with the Beckett online list and found a whole huge chuck of oddball cards that had not been on my original list. :rolleyes:
3. Nope. My trading went way down as my usual card show spots for tradebait dried up with the economy. I'm hoping for better things in the coming year.
4. Nope.
5. Didn't make it this year. Did go to the National in Cleveland, though.

Last edited:
Still trying to finish my 2003 timeless treasures gold set (serial to only 10 cards of each player). I have 69 of the 100. Planning on working the Griffey Jr auto from the 2008 ud heroes set. I have the carcoal, red, beige, Navy blue jerey/auto. Happy Holidays, David

2003 timeless treasures gold set now up to 70/100....losted the alan trammel card....sold for over $95.00 on eBay. 2008 ud heroes auto/gu/patch set ....I have 10 of the 11. Only missing the emerald/gu/auto serial to only #5! Happy Holidays, David

For the collecting goals
1) Keep chugging away on the Nomars. If he retires, I will have even less cards to chase. 75% is an attainable goal since there are around 1000 cards with a print run of 15 or less.
2) Keep expanding my other player collections. Ted Lilly, Mark DeRosa, Rich Harden, Reed Johnson.
3) Finish the 08 Heroes rainbow of Nomar and Harden. I am ever so close but some are just proving to be elusive.
4) Continue adding higher end Sandbergs and Graces to my collection.
5) Maybe bust a case of 08 Heroes or 09 Topps Jumbos. Thinking about doing the 09 Topps Gold set and maybe if I have time the Black set also.
6) Get to 50% on the 2004 Ultimate Collection Game Patch set. I have 34 of 89 right now.

1) Currently at 56.6% and picking up whatever pops p that I can afford.
2) Getting anything I can. Lilly and Derosa are priority and Harden has gone by the wayside.
3) Done
4) Picked up a few but nothing special.
5) Nope
6) Done. At 45 right now which is just over 50%.

Pretty simple this year for me:
1. Finish 1972 Topps baseball. 88 to go, all in the last two series
2. Fight the urge to start the 1971 Topps baseball.
3. Put together 2009 Topps base and Updates & Highlights
4. Clean up some of the variations I'm missing, especially 1974 Topps Washington variations.
5. Scanning in all my sets. (I almost couldn't type this one I was laughing so hard at the chance of it happening).

Good Luck with your goals everyone,
Marvin

1. Completed in late July - probably my best collecting accomplishment.
2. Failed miserably. Cheated and bought the 1971 set about a week after finishing 1972 and still paying for it, which has slowed down my collecting.
3. Put together the base, but purchased the Updates & Highlights
4. Made next to zero progress on this one.
5. Surprisingly did some of this - scanned all sets from 1971 to 1976.

Here's hoping everyone met their goals,
Marvin

Looks like I'm a little slow on my update, but here it is:

1. Reach 75% on my PSA 5 or higher 48 Bowman set (currently 20/48) - Goal reached 11/6, now at 39/48
2. Reach 95% on my 07 Sweet Spot Classic Memorabilia set (currently 60/100) - Goal reached 4/20
3. Complete my 77 to present Topps Run (need 78 and 95-99) - Still need 2 cards from 97 and 5 from 78
4. Complete my Topps Traded/Update Run (need 82-85, 94-95, 99-00, 02-05, 08) - Still need 82 set, 4 from 94, 19 from 02, and 8 from 04
5. Reach HOF Status and 350 trades (just need 108 more posts and 140 more trades) - Goal Reached 11/11

- Britt

1. Add at least five new Jon Matlack cards or items.
2. Top 9,000 different Rangers cards.
3. Decide whether to stick with the Ivan Rodriguez collection.
4. Add tradebait.

1. Done even though it took most of the year.
2. Done.
3. Still not decided.
4. Partial.