09 Collecting Goals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1. Reach 75% on my PSA 5 or higher 48 Bowman set (currently 20/48)
2. Reach 95% on my 07 Sweet Spot Classic Memorabilia set (currently 60/100)
3. Complete my 77 to present Topps Run (need 78 and 95-99)
4. Complete my Topps Traded/Update Run (need 82-85, 94-95, 99-00, 02-05, 08)
5. Reach HOF Status and 350 trades (just need 108 more posts and 140 more trades)

- Britt

1. Now at 23/48. Maybe this will pick up when I finish #2.
2. Already at 94%. My goal was 95% because there are 5 really tough ones in the set, but I just picked up two of them last week. My new goal is 98%.
3. Doing ok. Just picked up 95 and 96 starter sets (thanks Dale) and am getting closer with 97-99. Still haven't started 78 though.
4. Not much has happen here yet.
5. Only 30 posts to go, but I haven't made as many trades this year due to travel (at 226 trades).

goal updates

My goals this year will be quite modest. (Most deal with taking care of those which I already have!)

Updates

1) Complete my Red Sox inventory (currently have 13599 inventoried)
**********now have 16139 different inventoried, still more to go********
2) Add 500 (new to me) different Red Sox cards to the collection
**********250+ so far this year**************
3) Win the 2009 Bench team collector contest
**********Not until September**************
4) Organize my tradebait (ongoing from last year)
**********Getting better, but still a loooooooong way to go!***********
5) Inventory my complete sets
**********I have barely started this one*************
6) Make lists of my sets in progress and complete some of them.
**********Not even close to starting this one***********
7) Reduce the the total number of cards I have (over 500,000) whether through trading or donations. (Donated appx 10,000 cards in 2008)
**********Donated 3 Shoe boxes so far*************

Wow. I'm actually doing a lot better than I would have thought already.
Okay, I'm in. In order of likelihood:

1) Finish off my ATFF sets. (14 cards) Done.
2) Finish off the letter auto name project. Five cards to go! Done.
3) Clear off my Pete Harnisch list. Only 15 cards left, all easily obtainable. Not so much. Commons and old parallels can be hard to find sometimes.
4) I have 29 vintage Mets left on my list; knock my list at least in half. Got ten so far, which means I'm only five away from "half."
5) Pick up at least one of my high-end auto wants (Montana, Rice, Bird, Young, Piazza). Done - Piazza and Bird.
6) Track down that darned Kevin McReynolds ATFF Rainbow auto I've been looking for for three years. Wishful thinking.

For the non collecting goals:
1) Get a job - preferably a police one
2) Buy my house - this will come by way of #1 since I need a way to make my mortgage payment. I already have the down payment.
3) possibly go back to school and get a certification in graphic design

For the collecting goals
1) Keep chugging away on the Nomars. If he retires, I will have even less cards to chase. 75% is an attainable goal since there are around 1000 cards with a print run of 15 or less.
2) Keep expanding my other player collections. Ted Lilly, Mark DeRosa, Rich Harden, Reed Johnson.
3) Finish the 08 Heroes rainbow of Nomar and Harden. I am ever so close but some are just proving to be elusive.
4) Continue adding higher end Sandbergs and Graces to my collection.
5) Maybe bust a case of 08 Heroes or 09 Topps Jumbos. Thinking about doing the 09 Topps Gold set and maybe if I have time the Black set also.
6) Get to 50% on the 2004 Ultimate Collection Game Patch set. I have 34 of 89 right now.

We won't even get into the life goals, although it's still early. As for the collecting goals here they are:

1)If 75% is my goal, I am way off. I am creeping up on last years goal of 55%.
2)I have been slowly doing this as new stuff pops up.
3)I just won the last card I needed for the base card rainbow of Harden. Still need the Purple auto and the Charcoal jersey. Still need the Beige, Brown and Sea Green for Nomar.
4)Picked up a few things lately but haven't had enough cash to get highly involved.
5)Nope
6)I am at 38 right now. I am watching about 5 right now and I hope to add 1 or 2.

1.) Try to reach 2,000 different Alex Rodriguez cards (Currently at 1,626)
2.) Try to reach 2,000 different Derek Jeter cards (Currently at 1,386)

Well, I stopped collected Derek Jeter and started focusing on just my A-Rod collection. Now I'm at 2,010 different A-Rod's and counting.

1. Reach 75% on my PSA 5 or higher 48 Bowman set (currently 20/48)
2. Reach 95% on my 07 Sweet Spot Classic Memorabilia set (currently 60/100)
3. Complete my 77 to present Topps Run (need 78 and 95-99)
4. Complete my Topps Traded/Update Run (need 82-85, 94-95, 99-00, 02-05, 08)
5. Reach HOF Status and 350 trades (just need 108 more posts and 140 more trades)

- Britt

I just realized that we missed mid year updates, so I would like to do 2/3+ year updates :) Here's mine:

1. Not looking too good. Currently at 25/48.
2. Goal reached on 4/20
3. Probably won't get 78 but finished 99 and getting close on 95, 96, & 97.
4. Still need 82, 94, 95, 99, 00, 02, 03, 04, & 05, but getting close on most of them.
5. Reached HOF on 4/7. Still need 54 more trades to reach 350, so it's possible but unlikely.

Hey Gang -

It seems we run a thread like this here every year so I have decided to get it going myself this year. So - What are your collecting goals for 2009? I will start with mine and you will see why I wanted to get it going.

First - the standards.
- Complete the 09 Topps, Heritage, Allen & Ginter, Opening Day and Updates and Highlights sets as usual
- Add at least a dozen autographs to my certified Red Sox autographs collection
- Organize my other Red Sox cards (an ongoing battle that I am not close to winning)

Second - the "I am only doing this once" goal.
- I have recently realized that 2009 will represent my 40th year of collecting Topps base sets so I am going to do something a little more this year. I am going to attempt all of the inserts for the base set (not including autos and game used).
- I am also going to attempt to put together the gold #d to 2009 (I assume) set. This is the really special part for me.

Thanks,

Jeff

From first:
- 09 Topps series 1 and 3, Heritage, Allen & Ginter are all done. There was no OD set from Topps so that is out and the Update set isnt due out for a few months.
- Not sure how many Red Sox autos I have added but there have been a few. Just picked up 4 more over the weekend.
- I have now pulled out all of the autos, GU and #d cards from my Red Sox stuff. I am working on scanning and organizing that and will then attack the rest.

From second:
- Series 1 and 2 are all set with inserts. Decided against Turkey Red and ToppsTown. Still need a bunch of the SP/Variation cards.
- Series 1 and 2 gold #d sets are complete. Waiting for the Update set in the fall.

Thanks,

Jeff

1) Keep chugging away on the Nomars. If he retires, I will have even less cards to chase. 75% is an attainable goal since there are around 1000 cards with a print run of 15 or less.
2) Keep expanding my other player collections. Ted Lilly, Mark DeRosa, Rich Harden, Reed Johnson.
3) Finish the 08 Heroes rainbow of Nomar and Harden. I am ever so close but some are just proving to be elusive.
4) Continue adding higher end Sandbergs and Graces to my collection.
5) Maybe bust a case of 08 Heroes or 09 Topps Jumbos. Thinking about doing the 09 Topps Gold set and maybe if I have time the Black set also.
6) Get to 50% on the 2004 Ultimate Collection Game Patch set. I have 34 of 89 right now.

1) Done. I didn't set a number goal this year so it was easy to just do what I like.
2) Picking up stuff as it becomes available. They don't get much love.
3) Finished Harden and need one more card for Nomar (Beige #/299)
4) Also done. Haven't added much but have found some pretty nice things.
5) Decided against this. Freed up money for other things, namely my Nomar game used jersey.
6) I am 1 card away from crossing over the 50% mark. I currently have 44 of 89.

Not a big list:

- Hit 1200 listed Ryne Sandberg cards
- Make my website public (currently sitting on my personal "server")
- Work on obtaining memorabilia and autograph cards (currently at 0 autos due to lack of attempt)

Tai

- Might not hit 1200 by the end of the year. Been concentrating on the oddball stuff too much :)
- Reached this goal pretty quickly
- Obtained a couple of autos this year, so this goal was a hit

Right now, I'm 2/3 and will more than likely end the year that way.

Tai

Here is my update:

1.Finally complete the 1975 SSPC set (18 cards)
2.Finally complete the 1975 Topps set (15 cards)
3.Complete the 1973 Topps set (50 cards)
4.Get to 80% complete on the 1972 set and 75% on the 1971 set

1.Checked my set and realized that I am actually 24 cards short. UGH!!!
2.Down to 8 cards
3.Down to 7 cards!!
4.At 73% on the 1972 set but only at 44% on the 1971 set.

Nice to see some of those updates....keep them coming....

Updates

**********now have 16139 different inventoried, still more to go********
**********250+ so far this year**************
**********Not until September**************
**********Getting better, but still a loooooooong way to go!***********
**********I have barely started this one*************
**********Not even close to starting this one***********
7) Reduce the the total number of cards I have (over 500,000) whether through trading or donations. (Donated appx 10,000 cards in 2008)
**********Donated 3 Shoe boxes so far*************

**********now have 18170 different inventoried, still have a few lying domant in boxes somewhere, but close to done********
**********Done!**************
**********...me and my big mouth..it's coming up and I'm still unprepared!!**************
**********Working on it still..***********
**********OK, this one will wait 'til next year*************
**********Surprised myself by making a few trades toward this goal, but not nearly enough***********
**********Donated 8 Shoe boxes so far this year to Salvation Army*************

I'd like to complete these sets:

93 ud 5th anniversary 1 griffey complete
01 topps traded chrome 214 blalock complete
01 fleer tradition 451 pujols 452 ichiro
06 topps update 150 complete
06 topps update rookie debut 5 27 complete
06 topps heritage nap arod
06 bowman heritage 242 sp complete
06 bowman heritage mini 38 61
06 bowman heritage prospects 34 69 only need 34 hollimon
07 topps streak b4 streak 59 complete
07 topps heritage 58 hr champ mantle 7 17 34 complete
07 goudey red back 32 34 102 147 only need 102 ryan howard
08 topps stars 3 complete
08 topps own the game 2 complete
finish one detroit tigers vintage team set
add 25 detroit tiger gu/autos that I need complete

Thanks Pat Looney.

Have completed a lot but still more to go.

1. Attend a some more White Plains shows this year. Been to two so far.
2. Try and end the year in the black! That is, sell more than I buy. Surprisingly, doing decent here, still need to sell more.
3. Add 10 more O'Neill autos to the PC this year, 5 of them high-end Added 2 so far, 1 high-end
4. Complete the Don Mattingly PSA Basic Set (ungraded), currently at 55/107 cards. Currently at 72.
5. Reach the 1,000 mark for my O'Neill collection, currently at 843. (the toughest one!) Now at 897, gonna be tough.
6. Reach the 50% mark for Mariano Rivera 1990-2003 releases (currently 46.7%, 363/777 cards) At 379 now, only 9 more to go.
7. Finally complete the Marvel I, II, III; 1992 Marvel Masterpieces; X-Men 1 & 2. Within 10 cards of completing Marvel I, II, III. Still need most XMen/Masterpieces.

Last edited:
  • 1. Help the Bench finish the YSL set
  • 2. Get the final sea green 2008 ud heroes Joe Mauer serial #99 to finish the rainbow!
  • 3. Finish the beige 2008 ud heroes set.
  • 4. 2008 ud heroes emerald auto/jersey serial #5 of Ken Griffey jr.
  • 5. 2008 ud heroes navy blue auto/jersey serial #10 of Ken Griffey Jr.
  • 6. 2008 ud heroes charcoal auto/patch serial #25 of Ken Griffey Jr.
  • 7. Finish the 2003 timelesss treasures gold set

Okay, I'm going to be a bit ambitious this year.

1. Reach 3000 different Chipper Jones cards. (2614 on 01/01/09)
2. Find the last 40 Chipper base cards from 1990-2008 that I don't have.
3. Reach 750 trades here on The Bench and hit 5000 posts.
4. Continue moving out the rest of my commons, which has been a very slow process.
5. Get to the East Coast National in White Plains, NY for the third year.

Well, that should keep me busy... ;)

1. Done and then some.
2. Probably not gonna happen since I've never even seen some of these cards and eBay made my life difficult by changing to credit card transactions. 26 to go.
3. Not going to happen this year. Maybe by March 2010.
4. Nope.
5. Missed it this year. :( Did go to the National, though. So we'll say this was sorta done.

Last edited:
1. Find that last card for my Steve Howard collection
**No luck here. 1000s of counterfeit McGwires from that set flood the market, but nary a single Howard to be found. I'm going to have to breakdown and buy a complete team set to get this one. I just REALLY don't want to drop 30 bones on a Steve Howard card!**
2. Get another 10% on both my Dave Winfield and Matt Williams collections
**Well...I've added maybe 3-4% to each, so that's not too bad. I was hoping to land more of Winfield's YSL cards which would've helped a lot. Too much travel this year greatly curtailed my trading.**
3. Find that bloody stupid 1993 Lime Rock Dominican Winter League Diamond Star card of Bernardo Brito!!!!
**AAARRRHHH!!!!**
4. Complete my Dave Henderson Collection
**Close! Only 10 more Beckett recognized cards to knock this one out. Sadly, they never show up anywhere.**
5. load at least another 20,000 cards into my Sportlots inventory so I can start making more than I spend on cards in at least one month.
**Done!**

Nice to see some of those updates....keep them coming....

**********now have 18170 different inventoried, still have a few lying domant in boxes somewhere, but close to done********
**********...me and my big mouth..it's coming up and I'm still unprepared!!**************
**********Working on it still..***********
**********Surprised myself by making a few trades toward this goal, but not nearly enough***********
**********Donated 8 Shoe boxes so far this year to Salvation Army*************

Final 2009 update!

**********now have 18874 different inventoried, still have a few lying domant in boxes somewhere, one that is still not done********

**********...Done!**************

**********A never ending task!..***********

**********Donated 12 Shoe boxes so far this year to Salvation Army (approx 10,000 card)*************

Scott