09 Collecting Goals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

First off, Happy New Year to all the Benchies!

Hobby-wise, I would like to complete my 08 Masterpieces baseball and football sets, as well as my 05 Bowman Heritage set. Also would like to add at least 50 different Nolan Ryan's to my collection.

Outside the hobby, I would like to pay down some bills and spend as much time with my family as possible.

I hit my goals this year except for making more trades. Next year I am not sure what i am going to do but I am thinking that adding 5 or so more hof autos would be excellent. Looks like I am sitting at 138 different famers so somewhere between 143-145 works

Inside - work on set needs, pick up some HoF autos I need, purchase an actual game used jersey, buy the SP Legendary Cuts case for 09 & pick up a 2001 SP Legendary Cuts Babe Ruth jersey

Outside - Survive my move to Hawaii, complete the Captains Career Course as an honor graduate, have a successful IVF proceedure for the wife & pay off my student loan

Happy New Years!
Dewayne

As far as cards go, I want to stay on top of my Eric Byrnes collection (stats in my sig; when you become a SuperCollector all the pressure is on you LOL) and I want to get my Alexander Frolov collection up to similar percentages as Byrnes.

Off the Bench I am going to be adding at least three new venues to my Stadiums visited list...
Great American Ballpark- Cincinnati
Citi Field- Mets
Indianapolis Motor Speedway- Yes, I am going to The Race :)

I have been in Iraq since November last year so my pack busting has been limited outside of a case of Legendary Cuts and a box that a fellow benchie sent me;) I have spent a ton on eBay buying Gehrig and Mussina stuff though.

What major advances in your collection did you make? Nothing really I would consider advancing other than adding a game used Mike Mussina jersey and several more Gehrig game used cards.

What were your best additions? the Mussina jersey or a Sam Crawford autograph are my biggest additions. I am waiting on my 08 Prime Cuts case so hopefully I will add something from that to the list:)

What do you hope to get in 2009? Finish a bunch of base sets, add some HoF autos I need, get another game used jersey and more Gehrigs & Mussina cards.

Happy New Years!
Dewayne

Hobby wise:
Add 150 more Autograpgh cards to my 1988 Topps & Topps Traded set (0/150)
Complete the Mickey Mantle Home Run History set (24 to go)
Complete the 2007 Topps & 2008 Topps Baseball sets (Need those Variation & SP cards) (11 to go)

Outside the Hobby:
Keep losing weight
Pay off all credit cards

Re: I Hope

My favorite, my son getting IP autos of Ichiro, Tim Salmon, Jared Weaver and K-rod on a MLB ball. He also got Kendrick, Willits, Nathan, and Hunter among others on the card ( the boy can really hunt down those IP autos).

For 2008:

1)Getting more Topps Finest auto’s for my every year Topps Finest collection.

2)Cameron completing his A&G set.

3)Cameron getting his ?Rainbow? and Autos of Evan Longoria (the next A-Rod)

For 2009…..Simple…..Peace On Earth and…..a Hank Aaron Auto

Happy New Year…..Paul

Last edited:
I made no major advances in my collection.
My biggest and only big addition to my collection in 2008 was the pickup of a 1997 Upperdeck Game Jersey Griffey Jr card.
Looking into 2009 I am hoping to pick up a Bob Feller Rookie and a Steve Yzerman Auto.

Wow... looking back, it's been a good year. I probably added 50 Eddie Murray autos... tons more singles for all 4 guys I collect.

Hobby wise, not really much honestly, try not to spend any money that's not been made from selling. Outside of the hobby, for some reason I want to do a triathlon again. This time I'm going to try a different training approach and only do the running portion for the actual race, as running kills my legs because of my odd gait. We'll see how that goes, haha

1. Reach 75% on my PSA 5 or higher 48 Bowman set (currently 20/48) (Goal reached 11/6)
2. Reach 95% on my 07 Sweet Spot Classic Memorabilia set (currently 60/100) (Goal reached 4/20)
3. Complete my 77 to present Topps Run (need 78 and 95-99)
4. Complete my Topps Traded/Update Run (need 82-85, 94-95, 99-00, 02-05, 08)
5. Reach HOF Status and 350 trades (just need 108 more posts and 140 more trades) (Goal Reached 11/11)

- Britt

Last edited:
For the non collecting goals:
1) Get a job - preferably a police one
2) Buy my house - this will come by way of #1 since I need a way to make my mortgage payment. I already have the down payment.
3) possibly go back to school and get a certification in graphic design

For the collecting goals
1) Keep chugging away on the Nomars. If he retires, I will have even less cards to chase. 75% is an attainable goal since there are around 1000 cards with a print run of 15 or less.
2) Keep expanding my other player collections. Ted Lilly, Mark DeRosa, Rich Harden, Reed Johnson.
3) Finish the 08 Heroes rainbow of Nomar and Harden. I am ever so close but some are just proving to be elusive.
4) Continue adding higher end Sandbergs and Graces to my collection.
5) Maybe bust a case of 08 Heroes or 09 Topps Jumbos. Thinking about doing the 09 Topps Gold set and maybe if I have time the Black set also.
6) Get to 50% on the 2004 Ultimate Collection Game Patch set. I have 34 of 89 right now.

For the non collecting goals:
1) Get a job - preferably a police one
2) Buy my house - this will come by way of #1 since I need a way to make my mortgage payment. I already have the down payment.
3) possibly go back to school and get a certification in graphic design

For the collecting goals
1) Keep chugging away on the Nomars. If he retires, I will have even less cards to chase. 75% is an attainable goal since there are around 1000 cards with a print run of 15 or less.
2) Keep expanding my other player collections. Ted Lilly, Mark DeRosa, Rich Harden, Reed Johnson.
3) Finish the 08 Heroes rainbow of Nomar and Harden. I am ever so close but some are just proving to be elusive.
4) Continue adding higher end Sandbergs and Graces to my collection.
5) Maybe bust a case of 08 Heroes or 09 Topps Jumbos. Thinking about doing the 09 Topps Gold set and maybe if I have time the Black set also.
6) Get to 50% on the 2004 Ultimate Collection Game Patch set. I have 34 of 89 right now.

Wow that's interesting...your first 2 non collecting goals are EXACTLY the same as mine. Including getting a new job as a police officer (I am currently in the hiring process with 3 departments) and already have a down payment for my house but actually buying it depends on when I get hired.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
I'm making it simple this year.

1. Take inventory of my RJ collection before the 09 cards come out.
2. Continue to buy less and sell more
3. Continue to buy with only what I sell
4. Slim down the cards that are collecting dust
5. Finish 07 & 08 Milestones white sets

Wow that's interesting...your first 2 non collecting goals are EXACTLY the same as mine. Including getting a new job as a police officer (I am currently in the hiring process with 3 departments) and already have a down payment for my house but actually buying it depends on when I get hired.

Good luck to you!

And good luck to you. I would like to get into the hiring process but I keep getting shut down by the physical test.

09 wishlist

complete a Topps Heritage set (any of them)
complete 2009 topps reg set
get organized (haha)

just a simple list that way maybe I can get'er done

I am looking at slowing my collecting down as well.

1. Stop buying packs and breaking the sickness
2. Purchase the Topps regular and Update sets
3. Increase my Pat Burrell collection to 1,000 cards. (currently at 780)
4. Purchase at Babe Ruth GU Bat Card to finish my 500 HR set
5. Put together my 500 HR, 3,000 Hit & 3,000 Strikeout club projects
6. Make a list of the Star Card I have for trade (2 Monster boxes) (Excel or Beckett)