09 Collecting Goals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I am looking at slowing my collecting down as well.

1. Stop buying packs and breaking the sickness
2. Purchase the Topps regular and Update sets
3. Increase my Pat Burrell collection to 1,000 cards. (currently at 780)
4. Purchase at Babe Ruth GU Bat Card to finish my 500 HR set
5. Put together my 500 HR, 3,000 Hit & 3,000 Strikeout club projects
6. Make a list of the Star Card I have for trade (2 Monster boxes) (Excel or Beckett)

Well mine are lame but here we go...
Dont eat mcdonalds all year. (I work there, surprisingly im not overweight either, I get a free meal and im hoping to pass all of them off this year)
Have atleast $2,000 in my checking account.
Not Destroy my Playstation 3 by playing it so much.
Weigh under 180 by the end of the year.
This goes along with next year, Graduate :)

Card wise-
Get another autographed sheffield ball
get a marlins jersey/brewers/padres. Most of all a marlins
Get $9,000 BV. Currently at 6,300
get 6,000 cards total. Currently at 4,500

1) Reach 5000 different Randy Johnson cards
2) Finish 2007 Milestones basic set of Randy (only need two more, #52-5, #57-1)
3) Add 5 or 6 more ***** League autos
4) Finish scanning the rest of our Randy collection, plus our Edgar Martinez & Jay Buhner collection
5) Get the rest of our misc. cards into Sportlots (about 10,000 cards)

Thanks, Sue

2009 Collecting Goals

Pretty simple this year for me:
1. Finish 1972 Topps baseball. 88 to go, all in the last two series
2. Fight the urge to start the 1971 Topps baseball.
3. Put together 2009 Topps base and Updates & Highlights
4. Clean up some of the variations I'm missing, especially 1974 Topps Washington variations.
5. Scanning in all my sets. (I almost couldn't type this one I was laughing so hard at the chance of it happening).

Good Luck with your goals everyone,
Marvin

1. Add at least five new Jon Matlack cards or items.
2. Top 9,000 different Rangers cards.
3. Decide whether to stick with the Ivan Rodriguez collection.
4. Add tradebait.

I would like to continue adding to my Ripken collection and possibly publicize the extent of my collection at some point.

Outside the hobby I want to stay close to my family and live each day for Christ.

Okay, I'm going to be a bit ambitious this year.

1. Reach 3000 different Chipper Jones cards. (2614 on 01/01/09)
2. Find the last 40 Chipper base cards from 1990-2008 that I don't have.
3. Reach 750 trades here on The Bench and hit 5000 posts.
4. Continue moving out the rest of my commons, which has been a very slow process.
5. Get to the East Coast National in White Plains, NY for the third year.

Well, that should keep me busy... ;)

Last edited:
1. Attend a some more White Plains shows this year.
2. Try and end the year in the black! That is, sell more than I buy.
3. Add 10 more O'Neill autos to the PC this year, 5 of them high-end
4. Complete the Don Mattingly PSA Basic Set (ungraded), currently at 55/107 cards.
5. Reach the 1,000 mark for my O'Neill collection, currently at 843. (the toughest one!)
6. Reach the 50% mark for Mariano Rivera 1990-2003 releases (currently 46.7%, 363/777 cards)
7. Finally complete the Marvel I, II, III; 1992 Marvel Masterpieces; X-Men 1 & 2 base sets (I've had these since 2nd grade)

Last edited:
1. Reach 200 different Marques Colston cards.
2. Reach 250 trades and 2,000 post on the bench.
3. Obtain a Drew Brees and a Reggie Bush autograph card.
4. Trade or sell off all of my base cards.
5. Reach 750 different Deuce McAllister cards.

Last edited:
Goals for 2009 in collecting:

1.) Reach 5000 different Vlad cards(currently at 4347 through 2007. Will update 2008 cards once they stop producing 08's)
2.) Finish my By the Letter quest for the letters of my last name(Only started this week)
3.) Find the last 2 cards for my 2007 Topps Moments and Milestones base set of Vlad
4.) spend less money on cards

Brian

What? Goals? You mean there is supposed to be a point to all of this madness?

Well, I guess I better list out something;

1 - Finish at least 5 of my 2008 Heroes Parallels sets.
2 - Finish 1 GU and 1 Auto Parallels set from 2008 Heroes, and be at least at 50% for all the others.
3 - Get to 50% for my Xavier Nady collection.
4 - Try and get ahead on my cards a little, and stay organized.

1.) Try to reach 2,000 different Alex Rodriguez cards (Currently at 1,626)
2.) Try to reach 2,000 different Derek Jeter cards (Currently at 1,386)

Inside - work on set needs, pick up some HoF autos I need, purchase an actual game used jersey, buy the SP Legendary Cuts case for 09 & pick up a 2001 SP Legendary Cuts Babe Ruth jersey

Outside - Survive my move to Hawaii, complete the Captains Career Course as an honor graduate, have a successful IVF proceedure for the wife & pay off my student loan

Happy New Years!
Dewayne

Well, I picked up a Sam Crawford auto and finished three insert sets. Outside of that I am coming up short. However, the Legendary Cuts case releases in June and their is an auction in April where I hope to purchase a game used jersey. Still searching for the elusive Ruth jersey card....Alas

Dewayne

1. Add some to my White Sox collection (already reached the 12,000 different goal)
2. Rescan my White Sox collection (I'm on Album 25 out of 30).
3. Sort out my extra non sox cards (currently in boxes in the closet - it's full)
4. Adding to my 1955 Bowman Set as fortune and finances allow. (189/320)
5. Adding to my Nellie Fox collection (89/317)
6. Take all the info in my checklist and put into a excel spreadsheet, eventually into an access database.
7, Replace some binders with better ones.

Other than that, find some other places than eBay to find cards, I'm beginning to dislike some the things about the site.

Well, for starters:

1) Complete the MASTER set of 2008 SP Authentic BIll Hall BY THE LETTER AUTOS ( M I L W A U K E E B R E W E R S B I L L H A L L ). There are only 25 of the letter "L", and I would need 5 for the "master" set. I currently have 4 of those. For the letters M, U, K, H, and S.....there are 99 of each (I need the M, U, and H). For letters A, B, R, W, and I.....there are 75 of each (I need 2 A's, 2 B's, 1 R, 1 W, and 1 I). And finally, there are 50 of the letter E (I need 3 of the 4). In all, I need 14 of the 24 letters to spell out "Milwaukee Brewers Bill Hall".

That should keep me busy for a while.;)

Tim

EDIT: Down to 3!:)

Yep. I received my last card earlier this month.:)

http://www.thebenchtrading.com/thebench/showthread.php?t=283902

Tim

Updates....

1. Attend a some more White Plains shows this year. No shows yet :(
2. Try and end the year in the black! That is, sell more than I buy. Surprisingly, doing good here
3. Add 10 more O'Neill autos to the PC this year, 5 of them high-end Added 2 so far, 1 high-end
4. Complete the Don Mattingly PSA Basic Set (ungraded), currently at 55/107 cards. Currently at 63, hoping to hit up a dime box at next show.
5. Reach the 1,000 mark for my O'Neill collection, currently at 843. (the toughest one!) Now at 864, loooong ways to go
6. Reach the 50% mark for Mariano Rivera 1990-2003 releases (currently 46.7%, 363/777 cards) At 376 now, only 12 more to go.
7. Finally complete the Marvel I, II, III; 1992 Marvel Masterpieces; X-Men 1 & 2 base sets (I've had these since 2nd grade) Only finished Series II so far.

Okay, I'm going to be a bit ambitious this year.

1. Reach 3000 different Chipper Jones cards. (2614 on 01/01/09)
2. Find the last 40 Chipper base cards from 1990-2008 that I don't have.
3. Reach 750 trades here on The Bench and hit 5000 posts.
4. Continue moving out the rest of my commons, which has been a very slow process.
5. Get to the East Coast National in White Plains, NY for the third year.

Well, that should keep me busy... ;)

1. Sitting at 2702 on 03/29/09. Things have been really slow and it hasn't been from lack of effort. The economy is really making it difficult to find cards because people don't have the money/time to trade. :(
2. Working on it. I had to add a bunch of cards to this list because of 08 UD Documentary. I'm probably sitting at around 60 Chipper base cards left because of that. :(
3. Started of the year with a bang of 30 trades in 2 months and then hit the wall this month with a whopping 4... lol.
4. Haven't had a chance to do this yet. Need the spring yard sale. :)
5. Still the plan. May also go to the one in May.

Well, that was dismal... I hope things pick up with me trade wise. It's been pretty rough trading this March for some reason or another. It will hopefully improve once the season starts and all the new cards start coming out.

Hey Gang -

It seems we run a thread like this here every year so I have decided to get it going myself this year. So - What are your collecting goals for 2009? I will start with mine and you will see why I wanted to get it going.

First - the standards.
- Complete the 09 Topps, Heritage, Allen & Ginter, Opening Day and Updates and Highlights sets as usual
- Add at least a dozen autographs to my certified Red Sox autographs collection
- Organize my other Red Sox cards (an ongoing battle that I am not close to winning)

Second - the "I am only doing this once" goal.
- I have recently realized that 2009 will represent my 40th year of collecting Topps base sets so I am going to do something a little more this year. I am going to attempt all of the inserts for the base set (not including autos and game used).
- I am also going to attempt to put together the gold #d to 2009 (I assume) set. This is the really special part for me.

Thanks,

Jeff

From First - series 1 base set is done though I decided against the Turkey Red inserts (part of Second) as I dont have any real affection for them. Also still missing the even Ring of Honor cards. Heritage is started. Not sure if I have added any Sox autos or not and have made NO progress in organizing things.

From Second - I have completed series 1 gold so I am 1/3 of the way on that part.

Thanks,

Jeff