1988 Topps Cloth Experimental issue Experiment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onionring9

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
In 1988 Topps manufactured an "Experimental Issue" set which was discarded called the Topps Cloth series. The full set consists of 132 "cards" which were created in one single sheet. The backs are blank. From the original experiment, less than 100 of the sheets created were salvaged, 60% were cut into singles, the rest were left uncut. Most of those original sets were destroyed and from what most collectors have gathered, there are less than 50 sets that made it out the back door.

When submerged in water, these cards were made to expand into a small sponge. To my knowledge nobody ever had the will to try it on their '88 cloth card because they are valuable and rare. Curiosity got the best of me. I couldn't do this on my McGwire version so I bought another one online from the set. Now we can see what really happens with them when submerged in water...

So now the question is, how many minutes do you think it will take when submerged to expand in water (if at all)?

Here's scans of the one I got to experiment on:

Edit* I'll be doing it sometime this weekend. I'll either post pictures or a video.

1998--topps_cloth--mike_hart.jpg
1988--topps_cloth--mike_hart2.jpg

Last edited:
Ya should tape the experiment and do a youtube video!!! Have fun!!! I heard when you submerge the McGwire his muscles get bigger!

You're finally going to do it! Can't wait to see what happens. A video would be awesome.

I think the card will just get a bit thicker, sorta like gauze within 30-40 seconds of being in the water.

onionring9 - Great idea! Every time I read my annual, I look at those cards kind of wishing Dawson was in them so I could buy 2 just try to myself! I agree with jaderock. You should wait until you record the entire thing and make a video for Youtube.com. I bet it would get tons of hits by collector's! Maybe even submit it to Beckett.com and it may draw some attention to the Big Mac Collection!

Thanks
Craig

You would have to do it on an Oriole player, instead of kicking sand in our face, your soaking us in water .... we have become a sad, pathetic lot :(

Todd

I, too, would like to see this experiment. I figure it would take less than a minute to see results, but perhaps up to 5 minutes to reach maximum absorbtion (my guess would be about 2 minutes, though). One factor could be how dry the air is in your neck of the woods. another could be any dust or other residue on the card itself. The card is pliable by the photo provided, so I think 2 minutes sounds right to me.

onionring9 - Great idea! Every time I read my annual, I look at those cards kind of wishing Dawson was in them so I could buy 2 just try to myself! I agree with jaderock. You should wait until you record the entire thing and make a video for Youtube.com. I bet it would get tons of hits by collector's! Maybe even submit it to Beckett.com and it may draw some attention to the Big Mac Collection!

Thanks
Craig

Craig,

What is your most recent 'old' annual? Do you trade them, or do you keep them? I am looking for a more recent SCD Catalog, as my most recent is 2001. Secondary want is an update for the Beckatt Almanac. Most recent there is 2004.

---Frank

Test 1: I started off by just touching the corner and comparing it to paper towels to see how well it absorbs water. If it doesn't absorb, I'll try to wipe with it to get it to absorb water

Test 2: will be to dunk it for 1 minute after it dries (uploading now)

Test 3: (If needed) will be to dunk it until I either get bored or something happens.

Here's Test 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmROaXNcpWk

I, too, would like to see this experiment. I figure it would take less than a minute to see results, but perhaps up to 5 minutes to reach maximum absorbtion (my guess would be about 2 minutes, though). One factor could be how dry the air is in your neck of the woods. another could be any dust or other residue on the card itself. The card is pliable by the photo provided, so I think 2 minutes sounds right to me.

Craig,

What is your most recent 'old' annual? Do you trade them, or do you keep them? I am looking for a more recent SCD Catalog, as my most recent is 2001. Secondary want is an update for the Beckatt Almanac. Most recent there is 2004.

---Frank

Frank - I have a 2005 Beckett. I just traded for it here on The Bench a couple months ago. So mine isn't much newer than yours! If I get a newer version before you do, I'll get in touch with you.

Thanks
Craig

Might as well dry it off and trade it to an Orioles fan. That thing ain't no sponge!

Frank,

I just upgraded my SCD (comes with a CD Rom version as well) and Beckett this year, however both were fairly old versions. My SCD was 05 and my Beckett was #7 (2001 I believe). I usually keep my guides, but I have not found them since the move.

Not much change in either, other than the new stuff issued since the last version. I was disappointed. I may never upgrade either again!

Here's a scan of what the card looks like after the first two tests. The card itself seemed to absorb absolutly nothing in the first two tests. It dried extremely fast though. The card seems to have taken little to no damage at all. The colors didn't even fade.

1988--topps_cloth--mike_hart--after2tests.jpg

Here's a pic of what the card looked like after the last soaking, still no fading and card still in great condition. Once again the dam thing dried really quick!

1988--topps_cloth--mike_hart--aftertest3.jpg

So that's it! 20 year old question is answered. It don't do jack!

But now the question is, is that because of the deterioration of the card over 20 years or because it never worked to begin with!

Then again, maybe it's because he was an oriole...