20 Questions contest - Round 5 LIVE...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D'UH - not before 2010........

i know - i wasn't going to mention that - yet ;) (but if it makes ya feel better , read question 12 and check out two of the other guesses ....)

2001 Topps Gold #136 David Ortiz

no

round 3 - prize pool for this round starts with a 1987 topps barry bonds rookie :

Q1 - Dalberov - baseball ? yes
Q2 - mm1sub - prior to 1980 ? no
Q3 - mj23bullsfan - active player ? yes
Q4 - baseball24 - pictured with current AL team ? no
Q5 - criollos - prior to 2000 ? no
Q6 - dragonslayer913 - won mvp ? no
Q7 - grapler135s - pitcher ? no
Q8 - mrknicks - rookie card ? no
Q9 - plopowitz - infielder ? yes
Q10 - cincikid - is player in NL ? no
Q11 - criollos - ever been an AS ? yes
Q12 - baseball24 - topps product ? yes
Q13 - mm1sub - base card ? no
Q14 - anglinomics - adrian gonzalez ? no
Q15 - Dalberov - currently in AL east? yes
Q16 - dragonslayer913 - before 2010 ? yes
Q17 - mj23bullsfan - play for yankees ? no
Q18 - criollos - omar vizquel ? no
Q19 - Rockies9fan - 2009 ? no
Q20 - mj23bullsfan - play for orioles ? no

and there we have the final question for this round.....i really think i'm going to stump ya on this one.....i'll be at work when the 48-hour window ends so this one will officially be over when i get home from work monday , roughly 8 pm et.....good luck with those guesses....

also , remember that when submitting a GUESS i need the following : year , brand , set , card number , and player name (ie , 1979 topps 500 terry bradshaw or 1992 fleer all-stars 16 barry larkin)

G1 - anglinomics - 2006 Ultra #246 Mark Teixiera ? no
G2 - criollos - 2007 Topps Gold #505 Jose Bautista ? no
G3 - katester44 - 2011 Topps Black #163 Carlos Pena ? no
G4 - chief wahoo - 2001 Topps Gold #136 David Ortiz ? no

is a 2002 Bowman Heritage #40 Jose Bautista?

no

round 3 - prize pool for this round starts with a 1987 topps barry bonds rookie :

and there we have the final question for this round.....i really think i'm going to stump ya on this one.....i'll be at work when the 48-hour window ends so this one will officially be over when i get home from work monday , roughly 8 pm et.....good luck with those guesses....

also , remember that when submitting a GUESS i need the following : year , brand , set , card number , and player name (ie , 1979 topps 500 terry bradshaw or 1992 fleer all-stars 16 barry larkin)

G5 - jaybo374 - 2002 Bowman Heritage #40 Jose Bautista ? no

2007 Derek Jeter Topps Heritage SP #5

no

G6 - dragonslayer913 - 2007 Derek Jeter Topps Heritage SP #5 ? no

evan longoria 2008 topps heritage chrome refractor C220

no

G6 - dragonslayer913 - 2007 Derek Jeter Topps Heritage SP #5 ? no
G7 - mj23bullsfan - evan longoria 2008 topps heritage chrome refractor C220 ? no

just a reminder that this rounds will end when i get home from work this evening around 8 pm et.....get those guesses in to see if anyone can win this one ...if no winner , i'll reveal the card tonight and begin round 4 around 9 pm....

2004 Topps Gold Carlos Pena #542 /2004

nope....

8:15 PM and no winner for this round....

here's are the questions again and my comments on how they did or did not help :

Q1 - baseball ? yes .....good start as we eliminate quite a few here

Q2 - prior to 1980 ? no ....not bad...we now know it's a baseball card from 1980-2012

Q3 - active player ? yes....slightly helpful....jamie moyer is the active player who began his career the earliest and his first card came in 1986 so we can cut out 1980-85 leaving us a baseball card from 1986-2012....

Q4 - pictured with current AL team ? no....not bad...we can eliminate 14 teams here for who the cards features him with....

Q5 - prior to 2000 ? no ....ok...solid....now we're down to a baseball from 2000-2012 picturing a player with an NL team

Q6 - dragonslayer913 - won mvp ? no...looking only at ACTIVE mvp winners , we can now eliminate 16 players (taking into account that i-rod just retired and that tejada and vlad just signed)....the 16 are : chipper , pujols , howard , rollins , votto , braun , gimabi , ichiro , tejada , a-rod , vlad , morneau , pedroia , mauer , hamilton , and verlander....

Q7 - pitcher ? no....good question....eliminates almost half the field....

Q8 - rookie card ? no....just don't like this question...an RC can't be an insert or parallel so even if it is from a player's rookie card year , you still don't learn a lot just yet....

Q9 - infielder ? yes ....good question as we can now cut out all players who are primarily outfielders or catchers....

Q10 - is player in NL ? no....here we learn this is a player who is now in the AL...so we know it's a 2000-2012 non-RC of a non-MVP infielder who has played in both leagues....

Q11 - ever been an AS ? yes...another good question since a small percentage of players are all stars each year....greatly reduces the pool of possible answers

Q12 - topps product ? yes.....ok question but one i personally would only ask after narrowing the field down to 2-3 players at most....oddly , 2 people guessed an ultra product AFTER this question was asked...

Q13 - mm1sub - base card ? no....to me this is always a very a important question....with the answer being no , we know that we're looking for an insert or parallel (and we also see here why the RC question was not helpful)

Q14 - adrian gonzalez ? no.....to me , just WAAAAY to specific this early....we only eliminate one player and are running out of Q's

Q15 - currently in AL east? yes ....very helpful (especially if followed up properly)....we learn that our non-rc , non-mvp , AS infielder currently plays for either baltimore , boston , new york , tampa , or toronto after playing for an NL team in the past.....

Q16 - before 2010 ? yes....we eliminate 2010-12 here so we narrow our years to 2000-2009....

Q17 - play for yankees ? no.....still too specific for my taste , but at least we cut our choices down to baltimore , boston , tampa , and toronto..

Q18 - omar vizquel ? no....and another WAAAAY to specific question that only eliminates one player from the possibilities...

Q19 - 2009 ? no...also waay too specific as we still learn nothing about WHO and only narrow the range by one year (now down to 2000-08)

Q20 - play for orioles ? no..one more team eliminated....so with no questions left we are left to figure out a lot ....we only know that it is a non-rc , non-mvp , AS infielder from boston , tampa , or toronto who previously played in the NL....the IF who previously played in the NL requirement narrows the field to nick punto , jeff keppinger , carlos pena , ben zobrist , luke scott , jose bautista , edwin encarnacion , yunel escobar , and kelly johnson....the all-star requirement cuts out most of these leaving us with only 3 : pena , zobrist , and bautista....the only thing we know abut the card itself is that it's a topps product but not a base card....

one guess was CLOSE....but not quite....

the actual mystery card for round 3 :
2002 bowman gold 421 jose bautista

2002bowmangoldjosebautista.jpg

also , the mystery card from round 2 that was correctly identified :
1998 topps chrome 47 keyshawn johnson
1998toppschromekeyshawnjohnson.jpg

will be back shortly (after i scrounge for a bite to eat) to begin round 4 with a boosted prize pool.....

Not to take it too harshly, but doesn't knowing its a Topps product eliminate at least like 50-60% of the possibilities. Although I do understand asking the question later.

Anyways, fun contest! I like the contests that make you think.

Last edited:
Not to take it too harshly, but doesn't knowing its a Topps product eliminate at least like 50-60% of the possibilities. Although I do understand asking the question later.

Anyways, fun contest! I like the contests that make you think.

don't get me wrong , i didnt say it was bad question (and we have had several of those in each of the past 2 rounds) ....just that i thought it may have been too early (based on some other questions ahead of it that didn't really narrow the player list very much)... if i were PLAYING , i personally would prefer to narrow the possible players first .....i think if more people actually read the questions before theirs , they could ask better follow-ups and have fewer wasted questions.... (for example in round 2 someone asked if it was a base card and the answer was yes....8 questions later someone asked if it was an insert ...also the questions asking if is a specific player or year when we still have 100 players or 15 years possible would only be helpful if the answer is yes - which is a longshot ).....

ANYway...off to the kitchen to start supper...i'll start round 4 whilst it's a cookin'....

don't get me wrong , i didnt say it was bad question (and we have had several of those in each of the past 2 rounds) ....just that i thought it may have been too early (based on some other questions ahead of it that didn't really narrow the player list very much)... if i were PLAYING , i personally would prefer to narrow the possible players first .....i think if more people actually read the questions before theirs , they could ask better follow-ups and have fewer wasted questions.... (for example in round 2 someone asked if it was a base card and the answer was yes....8 questions later someone asked if it was an insert ...also the questions asking if is a specific player or year when we still have 100 players or 15 years possible would only be helpful if the answer is yes - which is a longshot ).....

ANYway...off to the kitchen to start supper...i'll start round 4 whilst it's a cookin'....

Agreed. Was just curious as to how you were thinking.

I also like the input on the questions. It helps with thinking of questions in later rounds.

oops....fell asleep .... burned half my supper ....

anyway , i'm back now to begin round 4...i have a card on my desk all set and ready to go.....

the addition to the prize pool for this round will be a 1999 topps donovan mcnabb rookie , bv = 10....

Q18 - omar vizquel ? no....and another WAAAAY to specific question that only eliminates one player from the possibilities...

CMCJR99: great contest, really enjoy it. Regarding Question #18: with all the clues given up to that point, I had it narrowed down to Vizquel or Jose Bautista. Neither Carlos Pena nor Zobrist had cards with NL teams between 2000-2009, so they weren't an option. At that point, I believed Vizquel or Bautista was the key question to ask. Thanks, and looking forward to the next one.

Luis

Last edited: