Cal Ripken Jr *HOF* pic post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

One thing about collecting Ripken theres plenty to go around.
Thats why there are so many of us I guess.
scan0050.jpg

Looks like you're still missing '97 Row 0 and '98 Row 2. I haven't scanned in my '98s yet and the '97 was in my post.

EDIT:You might want to make sure the '98 Row 0 has Cal's name in blue foil ink on the back of the card - if it isn't it was one of the 'back-doored' copies!

Hey virtualyankee which one am I missing? I have never taken the time to figure out which one it is. If theres one up on ebay I just check it against these.
scan0096.jpg

Having the extra money to spend will do that for you. You don't become an advanced Ripken (or any other mega star player) collector on a budget!

What do you do for a living bigalbert, by the way, if I may ask?

No offense Albert, but I hate you more and more after every post! :mad:

:eek:

Your collection is amazing Bud!

Mrmopar-
I would ahve to disagree with you. You can be on a budget, and even a very tight budget and still be collector of mega stars. Your collection will not look remotely like that of Big Albert's or some other folks on here, but budget collecting can work.
I am on a small budget, sometimes non-existent, and I still have amassed a very large Ripken collection, card wise. Over 2000 different Ripken's and climbing. Your player collection will just be a little different looking.
You also have to be more creative with what you get and how you get it. I have traded $40 worth of no-names for TTM autographs for a Ripken GU, I think it makes it more fun having to work for my Ripkens.
That is not to say that I would turn down Big Alberts collection or the ability to throw tons of money at my favorite player.

I guess I should have clarified. Sure, big stars have tons of different cards, so it's easy to pick up several hundreds, even a few thousand and have a wide variety, but will that person have many 1/1s, rare GU and autos if they aren't spending large sums of money? Probably not. They'll have a huge pile of base cards, numerous inserts, maybe some oddball, some GU and maybe a few autos. It's just the reality of today's card market. In the 70s and 80s, even into the 90s, you could own a very nice player collection with close to everything relatively inexpensively. You might have to fork out a little more for that 82 Topps blackless or a rare MSA disc variation, maybe even a few Topps test issues, but nothing like we face today. Now it takes money...big money.

You can't tell me someone with 200+ autos of a major superstar hasn't spent some serious coin to build that collection, even if they are the luckiest pack ripper, smartest bargain hunter and master trader/negotiator.

Heck, even with someone as forgotten as Steve Garvey, I can't find a bargain these days. I quit driving up prices and winning these artifically rare new cards and decided to limit what I bid on 1/1s and super low serial numbered cards. I haven't won a single one on ebay since my policy change! It just isn't worth it to me anymore, but I will go balls to the wall if a 1972 Topps venezuelan sticker ever shows up!!!

Mrmopar-
I would ahve to disagree with you. You can be on a budget, and even a very tight budget and still be collector of mega stars. Your collection will not look remotely like that of Big Albert's or some other folks on here, but budget collecting can work.
I am on a small budget, sometimes non-existent, and I still have amassed a very large Ripken collection, card wise. Over 2000 different Ripken's and climbing. Your player collection will just be a little different looking.
You also have to be more creative with what you get and how you get it. I have traded $40 worth of no-names for TTM autographs for a Ripken GU, I think it makes it more fun having to work for my Ripkens.
That is not to say that I would turn down Big Alberts collection or the ability to throw tons of money at my favorite player.

Having the extra money to spend will do that for you. You don't become an advanced Ripken (or any other mega star player) collector on a budget!

What do you do for a living bigalbert, by the way, if I may ask?

My family is self employed in the Ag business.

Sounds like code for "my family has owned a lot of Midwest farmland for a really, really long time."

Big Albert, how did you choose Ripken to collect, living in Iowa?

Ag is indeed short for Agriculture.

Bigslim- I grew up in Vikings country and have never really liked going along with the crowd, so I picked up on the Baltimore Colts with Johnny U and stayed with Baltimore in baseball.

I was the same way...I grew up in Washington, but my team was the Dodgers. I followed the Raiders as well, but always loved the Vikings coincidentially. To this day, if I could be called a team fan of any teams, it would be those three and no others.

Here are the 2005 Zenith Epix-game, play, moment, season.
scan0505.jpg

scan0504.jpg

Last edited: