how many autos do you need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I think 4-5 is absolute max and that would only be if most were different cards. I always send 2-3 cards, and I always offer for player to keep any they want for their own collection. As most of you are aware players rarely keep any. They have seen these cards 100's if not thousands of times before if they wanted any, they woulda gotten them already. Or some keep to give to friends/family or to put into other peoples TTMs.

I think that depends on what years.Players from the 60s-70s are much more likely to keep cards than someone from the late 80s and on. There are millions upon millions of those at pennies per card. Anything I send with 3 or more always has a note about keeping what they want. That being said, I even sent Matt Williams an extra 4 card Mother's Cookies Set of him to keep and he turned around and signed all 9 and returned them. I don't feel badly at all for that or that I was being too greedy.

I only send 2-3 cards, I only ask that they sign one, and that they keep the others if they want for themselves or other collectors. I really appreciate those people who take the time to open my letter and return an autographed card for me. I also put a IC in the return envelope, just to help keep it more rigid - I get a kick out of anyone who takes the time to take it out of the return envelope and sign it, just makes me think - "What a great guy to take the extra time for a fan."

I have never, and will never post any of these on Ebay, but I do trade them with other autograph collectors - I see no harm in trading.

Fortunately I believe the vast majority of TTM seekers out there do not put them up for sale.

- Chris

I have never, and will never post any of these on Ebay, but I do trade them with other autograph collectors - I see no harm in trading.

Fortunately I believe the vast majority of TTM seekers out there do not put them up for sale.

- Chris

I agree with you, most TTM seekers probably don't put them on ebay and I wouldn't ever do that, getting an autograph TTM is personal for me and probably alot of other collectors because the player is taking time just for you.

I also have a question, does anyone think that sending about 5 or 6 cards to a player that charges would be wrong? For example I have, I think, 5 cards that I want to be signed by Dave Henderson and I plan on donating $15 or $20 to the angelman foundation like he asks but does that seem greedy??

-Dylan

I agree with you, most TTM seekers probably don't put them on ebay and I wouldn't ever do that, getting an autograph TTM is personal for me and probably alot of other collectors because the player is taking time just for you.

I also have a question, does anyone think that sending about 5 or 6 cards to a player that charges would be wrong? For example I have, I think, 5 cards that I want to be signed by Dave Henderson and I plan on donating $15 or $20 to the angelman foundation like he asks but does that seem greedy??

-Dylan

I think it is different when you are paying for it. If you were to do something like that I would send the donation with the cards to show that you are making a contribution.

Anytime I receive a request for a donation to a charity in exchange for an auto I always do.

- Chris

not greedy if you send a fee,but sending 9 cards and offering some come on,most big leaguers if they are collectors im sure have most items already and if not collectors dont really care whats out there,im just saying dont burn these guys out,this is a hobby we want to go on for generations and what do you think the future response is going to be,when guys are hammered with 5,7,9,11 requests.

i would agree with most of you. I never send more then three and even then i tell them to keep one for themselves. they usually sign all three but its nice to offer. And I would never sell any ttm auto's period! in all honesty i think its pretty ****** to make money off of someone who tries to be nice and then turning around and selling them. they can just as easy go to card shows and make a couple thousand dollars and make us pay$10 even for a player that only played for a year. but they dont and its appreciated by me and others.

not greedy if you send a fee,but sending 9 cards and offering some come on,most big leaguers if they are collectors im sure have most items already and if not collectors dont really care whats out there,im just saying dont burn these guys out,this is a hobby we want to go on for generations and what do you think the future response is going to be,when guys are hammered with 5,7,9,11 requests.

If that's a jab at me, dude, I can live with it. It was a set of four cards from a stadium giveaway 22 years ago that I packaged separately and told him to keep. He chose to sign them and return as well. My bad...I would agree repeatedly sending requests of nine is not a smart endeavor. Agreed wholeheartedly.

Last edited:
I usually send 1, sometimes 2.

If I add extras it's for the player to keep if he wants to, and it's always because they are customs of mine or cards that may be a bit more rare. Like the Mother's Cookies example.... I actually sent a Mother's Cookies card of Tom Wieghaus to him and told him he could keep it if he wants (he was in an Astros uniform, I just needed him to sign my custom of him in an Expos uniform)... he gladly did and thanked me for the card.

I usually do the same with Stuart Foods cards, they issued two sets in the mid 80's of the Expos. They are probably harder to come by for these guys so most of the time they keep what I offer.
Harris_G.jpgRapp_V.jpg

And as for the customs I offer, they go over well. Most every player keeps them... two guys recently (Larry Johnson and Edwards Guzman) actually requested more so I sent them both a pile more (altho the Guzman wasn't TTM, mr.js36 helped me out IP at the PR Winter League games... I still asked Javier to offer him the cards tho, and he wanted more).
Johnson_L.jpg
Guzman_E.jpg

I don't see the harm in offering cards, but personally I only do it if the cards may be hard to come by.

I send 3 max, and that is only if I see that the signer has been signing 3 regularly AND if I have 3 cards of them all on different teams, otherwise it's 1 or 2.

As for IP, I have only done a max of 3 and that was Delino DeShields, and Bob Forsch.

- Chris
Chris, I agree with you. I think a majority of the stuff that pops up on ebay is from the in person autograph people. I personally don't do that with my IP stuff, but I know of at least one Great Lakes Loons regular who puts all his stuff on ebay. :(

I don't send TTM, so whatever I say doesn't affect the outcome one way or another. I like to get as many different things signed as I can of the players I like or the sets I like.

For example, and I would certainly not send them all at once, but if I thought I could get a players entire career card run signed over time, I might try. I think 1-3 is a fair amount and perhaps an offer to keep "extras" is always a good idea. Many of the players probably wouldn't, but some might. I have read stories where guys sent customs and the players really liked and wanted some. That would be the perfect way to thank a player for signing for free.

I have a Claude Osteen complete Topps run from 1959-1976 signed, including a few extras like the 74T Traded and 72T IA cards. Do I need a couple dozen Osteen autos? No. Do I enjoy having each different year signed to compare and contrast? Definitely!

EDIT: After reading all the replies, I did want to say that there should be no reason for anyone to feel bad about trying to sell extra autographs obtained from players either IP or TTM. I have read a number of stories where collectors would request large numbers of signatures from good players in order to have trade material. Often those trades could have turned into sales. Trading only removes a step. If you get 6 cards signed and trade 4 for other cards, you essentially put those into the market and got something in return. Not much different than selling in my mind.

These players have a unique opportunity to create something special with a flick of the wrist. They could very easily capitalize on it and use the money for personal gain or charities, which some do. Nothing wrong with that either, although you have to question some of the larger fees, especially on common players. Where else can someone sign their name and basically create money by doing it? That is pretty cool. I believe that if I were famous enough to warrant demand for my signature, I would sign graciously and not sweat what happened to them. If you are like Bob Feller or Bobby Doerr, you bring joy to many and in turn actually devalue your signature through heavy demand. If you are like Sandy Koufax or Mike Marshall, you artificially inflate the price and demand and surprise...it creates a frenzy that just might "turn off" a guy from signing. Is it really that surprising to these guys? It shouldn't be!

The great guys are the ones who sign freely and don't care what happens to the signatures, because they can always create more.

Last edited:
I don't send TTM, so whatever I say doesn't affect the outcome one way or another. I like to get as many different things signed as I can of the players I like or the sets I like.

For example, and I would certainly not send them all at once, but if I thought I could get a players entire career card run signed over time, I might try. I think 1-3 is a fair amount and perhaps an offer to keep "extras" is always a good idea. Many of the players probably wouldn't, but some might. I have read stories where guys sent customs and the players really liked and wanted some. That would be the perfect way to thank a player for signing for free.

I have a Claude Osteen complete Topps run from 1959-1976 signed, including a few extras like the 74T Traded and 72T IA cards. Do I need a couple dozen Osteen autos? No. Do I enjoy having each different year signed to compare and contrast? Definitely!

EDIT: After reading all the replies, I did want to say that there should be no reason for anyone to feel bad about trying to sell extra autographs obtained from players either IP or TTM. I have read a number of stories where collectors would request large numbers of signatures from good players in order to have trade material. Often those trades could have turned into sales. Trading only removes a step. If you get 6 cards signed and trade 4 for other cards, you essentially put those into the market and got something in return. Not much different than selling in my mind.

These players have a unique opportunity to create something special with a flick of the wrist. They could very easily capitalize on it and use the money for personal gain or charities, which some do. Nothing wrong with that either, although you have to question some of the larger fees, especially on common players. Where else can someone sign their name and basically create money by doing it? That is pretty cool. I believe that if I were famous enough to warrant demand for my signature, I would sign graciously and not sweat what happened to them. If you are like Bob Feller or Bobby Doerr, you bring joy to many and in turn actually devalue your signature through heavy demand. If you are like Sandy Koufax or Mike Marshall, you artificially inflate the price and demand and surprise...it creates a frenzy that just might "turn off" a guy from signing. Is it really that surprising to these guys? It shouldn't be!

The great guys are the ones who sign freely and don't care what happens to the signatures, because they can always create more.

Osteen is so awesome TTM and we see him at fan fests a lot, if you ever want to try and get some signed, let me know....

I typically send 3-4 at a time to most players. In the request it is stated that they are fo my three sons and myself. Lately I have been sending 5-6. It just so happens that the more recent request are from those who have been known to sigh that many as documented on this and other sites. When I do however, I always state that anything above 4 is for them to keep for other fans. It is stated in the letter and the cards are also sent in a seperate penny sleeve with a note inside clearly stating that they are for him to keep for other fans.
It has been brought up that these guys if collectors themselves probably have every card ever printed of themselves. Yes they probably do. But I ask you this, how many thimes on this or other sites have you seen, "sent an extra card." Or how many times have you researched a player for a TTM request and seen that they run charity events or often hold baseball clinics. I offer extra cards for player X to do whatever he chooses with. If the cards are plainly marked, (twice if he reads the letter of request), and chooses to sign and return them all, (Danny Darwin/Phil Bradley/Scott Bradley/etc.), then I am more than happy to accept them, add them to my sons and my collections, and trade the others. I never put them on ebay and none of you have ever seen me offer them up for sale. If player X decided to hold on tho the cards I offered to him as a trade-off for signeing 1 or 2 more than most people send, then good thats why they were sent in the first place.
If player X chooses to return them all unsigned, (John Shelby -4cards), then thats his right.

just saw a guy on scn had a return of 20 signed cards from andy benes! im sure he'll have a few for trade,just cant figure why stop at 20,why not 50 or 100 or why not ask the guy for some of his trophies from his career just include a sase!lol

I think that the number of cards sent really depends on the players signing habits. I normally send between 1-3 cards with my requests. While I am not a set collector, I normally send cards that I think would look nice autographed, or depicts them on a particular team that I would like signed. However, there have been many times when I send additional cards or customs for the player. For example, I saw somewhere that Cecil Cooper likes receiving extra cards, for whatever reason. I sent him two cards to be signed and a small stack of cards for him to have. I separated the cards to be signed from the others and all went well. I sent off a package to Rico Petrocelli that included a couple cards that I requested that he sign and a small stack of extras for him. Again they were separated and I was very clear in my note to him that the extras were for him. He signed one card for me and made a comment basically letting me know that I sent too many cards. I sent him a followup letter, along with a copy of my initial letter, and indicated that I did not want him to think that I was being greedy, as most of the cards that I sent were meant for him. He returned a letter to me and thanked me for the extra cards and asked that I return them so that he can give them to his grandchildren, which I did.

My only point in these two stories, is that players may not always have all that you think that they do, in relation to their playing days (cards, photos, etc.). I had sent a request to Ed Fitzgerald and had found a neat photo that he had not apparently seen. He signed what I sent him and asked that I send him another copy, which I gladly did. I can think of a lot of players that I have corresponded with, beyond the initial request, and many have been appreciative of the contact.

One more story and then I will quit. I correspond fairly regularly with Roy Smalley, Sr. I had sent him a couple a customs and he signed them for me and asked that I send him a couple of each. I printed up a small stack of each type and sent them to him. Periodically, I will send him some more, if he runs out. He sends them out to other collectors when they request his autograph and especially when they send a request, but don't send anything with their request for him to sign. After about six months of correspondence, I received a poster tube in the mail from Mr. Smalley. He sent me a 16X20 photo of a play that he was involved in. He wrote a note about who all was in the play, including the umpire, and told me what transpired in the play. Really neat. He also sent me a signed 8X10 photo.

I am constantly amazed at many of the player's willingness to be involved with their fans. I would like to think that I would do the same, if I was in their position, but I don't know. I think of the time that they spend in answering our requests and am very grateful. I don't know if the the newer generation of players will be as gracious as the older guys, but I am hopeful.

Barry Urbanek - PogoCards

I send 1 trading card and 1 custom index card. Some have suprised me by sending back more then I sent. Some have included notes.

Thanks for the offer. I just re-read my post and it was somewhat unclear. I actually have all of those cards signed by him already. I don't need any other cards signed.

Osteen is so awesome TTM and we see him at fan fests a lot, if you ever want to try and get some signed, let me know....

I was putting away cards this evening and noticed I have a complete signed run of Wes Parker (1964-1973) now as well. I believe I have the complete Doug Rau run too (73-82) I'm sure there are others, but these are a couple I noticed.

You might see a pattern here as well. I collect Dodgers first and foremost. I will even get non-Dodger cards from guys who players for the Dodgers, like Osteen. I will take as many different Dodger auto cards as I can get!!

Thanks for the offer. I just re-read my post and it was somewhat unclear. I actually have all of those cards signed by him already. I don't need any other cards signed.

I was putting away cards this evening and noticed I have a complete signed run of Wes Parker (1964-1973) now as well. I believe I have the complete Doug Rau run too (73-82) I'm sure there are others, but these are a couple I noticed.

You might see a pattern here as well. I collect Dodgers first and foremost. I will even get non-Dodger cards from guys who players for the Dodgers, like Osteen. I will take as many different Dodger auto cards as I can get!!

I like to do the card runs too. I am close on Neil Allen. I also like to get at least one card signed of each team the person has played on. I don't feel that is greedy, as I clearly state too in my letters that they are more than welcome to keep any that they want. I think the typical "good signers" aren't really concerned with the numbers. I remember when I was getting Brett Butler IP we talked about signing and his stand was he would rather you present him with everything all at once than try and get 2-3 per day for a few days.

I usually send one card but on occassions I send two, sometimes I am lucky and the ball player sends back something too for example: Carl Erskine, Virgil Trucks, Tito Francona, Roy Face have all sent me extra items.

The only time I sent to a player twice is with Bobby Doerr, Bobby Thomson, and Carl Erskine. I do not sell them, I keep them for myself and one day hopefully I can pass them on to my children.

That was the case with Dave Stewart at the game he was signed at. He asked me why I didn't give him everything to sign the first time through the line, but I felt it would have been rude to those waiting behind me who just wanted one signature!

I like to do the card runs too. I am close on Neil Allen. I also like to get at least one card signed of each team the person has played on. I don't feel that is greedy, as I clearly state too in my letters that they are more than welcome to keep any that they want. I think the typical "good signers" aren't really concerned with the numbers. I remember when I was getting Brett Butler IP we talked about signing and his stand was he would rather you present him with everything all at once than try and get 2-3 per day for a few days.