how many autos do you need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saw a couple today sent to a great signer for the ttm community,frank tanana one guy sent 7 cards and the other sent 8 cards.i just got back 2 i sent him and a year ago i sent a ball to him that he signed.point is i dont get it im sure these guys have sent to him numerous times,they are like hoarders,for a couple of stamps they need to get as many items as possible!sure tanana is a great and willing signer,but take it easy on the guy,now you are just taking advantage of his genorosity!maybe you should cut the guy in on your ebay profits!

saw a couple today sent to a great signer for the ttm community,frank tanana one guy sent 7 cards and the other sent 8 cards.i just got back 2 i sent him and a year ago i sent a ball to him that he signed.point is i dont get it im sure these guys have sent to him numerous times,they are like hoarders,for a couple of stamps they need to get as many items as possible!sure tanana is a great and willing signer,but take it easy on the guy,now you are just taking advantage of his genorosity!maybe you should cut the guy in on your ebay profits!

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/Auto...+tanana+auto*&_catref=1&LH_Complete=1&guest=1

3 non-certified sales since Dec 30 all for around $1. There is no profit.
If I want to send 6 cards to Frank Tanana and he is good enough to sign them, and I trade the extras to other fans (who then won't be sending to him) what is the difference?

Sorry the Greed argument just does not float with me. Most of the guys who sign multiples autographs are worth so little that the idea of making a profit is ridiculous.

you must be the one who i also saw today sent rick reushel 8 cards.if its not greed than i dont know what it is!sorry im not buying the i trade them to others,so im saving the signer some work! ugh!

you must be the one who i also saw today sent rick reushel 8 cards.
Why would you say that? There are THOUSANDS of signers out there, why must I be the one that sent him 8 today?

if its not greed than i dont know what it is!sorry im not buying the i trade them to others,so im saving the signer some work! ugh!

You don't 'buy' it? How exactly? At least your not wasting bandwidth with your sort, poorly rationalized comments.

An autograph is an autograph. If there are 8,000 Jamie Moyer autographs versus 800,000 then the market would dry up and his autos would be more valuable. Since he has plenty of autos and the market is FULL, and his autograph has little value, how can it be 'GREEDY'??

I send the one card I want signed. The only time I send more is when I send custom made cards. I send three when I do that. I put in my letter that one is for me, one for the friend who made them for me (which is true) and the other for them. I also say I will be glad to send them more if they want. I have had at least a dozen guys ask for more cards.

Ron

Can't beleive what i saw today!someone sent to bobby doerr,8 index cards and because mr.doerr is an awesome guy and great signer of course he signed all 8 index cards.no donation,nor an offer to keep.nope here are my 8 index cards please sign them for i absolutly have to have 8 index cards!ugh!

I have never sent more than 6 items, and never will unless I'm specifically telling the player to keep some-- which I haven't done yet.

My average is about 3. I rarely bother sending just 1 item (unless it's someone I need and I know they are a strict 1-per). I like getting extras so I can trade them for other stuff I need for my sets and such. I won't take money for them, but I will trade for other autographs.

saw a guy on another site,he sent whitey herzog 4 items and another player 5 items.both are very good signers ttm,but he was pissed he got a rts from both!uummmm!i wonder why?maybe to many items?

That's why it's so important to do your homework. If a guy only signs 1 or 2 per, I'm not going to mail him 4 or 5. Likewise, if I know he signs 5, I'll send at least 2 or 3. And if I don't know one way or another, I'll usually go 2 or 3. 2 if he's a big name, 3 if he's a lesser-known, maybe 4 if he's a nobody.

Preparation is key!

The question -- and the discussion -- are actually interesting and very valid, but let's keep this friendly, okay? Nobody attacks anybody here and we'll all get along just fine.

Personally, I send one card because that's all I need for my collection; I also hope that it'll be sincere that I really just want one for my collection and that I'm not looking to profit from it.

saw a guy today sent bobby doerr 9 various cards to be signed,why?because he has friends that were requesting them!why doesn't he give them one of the numerous he probably already has,rather then taking advantage of mr.doerrs genoracity!or at least send him some $ for his time now that you are a broker of his signature.

iam always baffled by he amount of request that are sent to signers!was looking at sportacard forum where they list all people that send ttm and there results,was crazed to see this!ttmer by name of sawk14 has mailed to mr doerr on 17 different occasions!i guess he didn't want to put 100 items in 1 envelope!

I usually just send one or two items. On occassion I have sent 3 but that is usually the limit. I sent to bobby doerr three times, only because I wantd a specific card signed. But I understand what you are saying, there are people who send 5 items and then turn around and send 6 more items.

iam always baffled by he amount of request that are sent to signers!was looking at sportacard forum where they list all people that send ttm and there results,was crazed to see this!ttmer by name of sawk14 has mailed to mr doerr on 17 different occasions!i guess he didn't want to put 100 items in 1 envelope!

i originally belonged to that forum but really could not handle the main types of people there..dont get me wrong, i still go there from time to time and it is a pretty big site; but there are a lot of "kids" there..and yes i have noticed he will send every 2 weeks to the same person sometimes..all in all, i feel like that site is a lot less about helping others and more of a chest thumping "look at me" kind of place...

i like the Bench A LOT more!!!!

saw today one guy sent 6 cards to andy ashby,he signed 3 and kept 3 the guy writes "not real happy with this one" and another guy gets a RTS from tim mccarver and writes " what a jerk he didnt sign my cards and used my sase this guy is an a** " gotta love these ungreatful ttmers.

saw today one guy sent 6 cards to andy ashby,he signed 3 and kept 3 the guy writes "not real happy with this one" and another guy gets a RTS from tim mccarver and writes " what a jerk he didnt sign my cards and used my sase this guy is an a** " gotta love these ungreatful ttmers.

I see one on there the other day that said, "pete rose charges now, i guess he need money for his gambling habit", I thought that was pretty mean..

the Mccarver comment is even worse when you see what he actually wrote.."Sent 2 cards,then the JERK sends them back in my SASE with no signature.This guy is such an as---le,only sent cause I need him for a set.Refuse,ok,but don`t open & use my SASE!"

I mean, the nerve of Tim to actually use that guy's 44 cent stamp!!!! LOL

the Mccarver comment is even worse when you see what he actually wrote.."Sent 2 cards,then the JERK sends them back in my SASE with no signature.This guy is such an as---le,only sent cause I need him for a set.Refuse,ok,but don`t open & use my SASE!"

Hey, after reading this I'm GLAD, yes GLAD, McCarver had the unmitigated gall to use his 44 cent stamp to refuse his request. Allllllll right, Mr. McCarver!!! :D

I wouldn't be surprised if McCarver gave the play by play of, "I'm putting these blank index cards into the envelope and sending them back, just to waste a .44 cent stamp. You see, by not writing anything on the the index cards it is like sending an empty envelope."

(I'm not a McCarver fan)

Other option is, maybe Tim wanted the collectors autograph...

- Chris

We get the point. Why do we get a new rant every couple of days. Doerr doesn't have to sign all 6 or 8 or 12 cards, but he is willing to do so and doesn't obviously care what happens to them. He could sign 1-2 and return the rest unsigned, but he doesn't and we can really only speculate why he doesn't exactly. If we wanted to establish a limit, he would. If he wanted a donation, he would ask. He is an adult and doesn't need any battles fought for him. His autograph is "worth" very little in comparison to other similar players of his era for the most part because he had signed so many. I think that is great. I'd rather have access to a signature for free or very little than to have to fork out $100+ for one because the guy doesn't feel like rewarding the fans (you listening Mike Marshall, doctor of ignoring autograph requests). I applaud Doerr, Kell Feller and other greats who made their signature so easy to find and obtain. I don't care if they are only "worth" $3 30 years from now. I collect because I enjoy collecting autographs. That is why I "need" all of Claude Osteen's cards signed or all of Steve Garvey's cards signed, because it's fun for me.

I feel like sending Doerr 20 of the same card now, just to see if he'll sign them! I'm kidding, of course. I have never sent him anything to sign, but I might want to do it soon. He is quickly approaching the oldest living ball player status and that is a title most don't hold for long.