NEW BSL - OOTP12 Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finally got a chance to play around with it yesterday... ran through a few seasons. One thing that I have happening is all players on my "40-Man" end up on my MLB roster on Opening day, and I have to go through and move them back to their respective levels... any idea how I can get this to stop?

Looking forward to the start of the league.

- Chris

Had the software for about a week now but just getting around to creating a league. I'm going with 1984 Historical, hoping to get Alvin Davis one way or another.

Just finished the 1984 season and learned lots, almost made the playoffs too. I'm going to run it through the end of year sim year so I can do a draft, the I'll move on to something else.

I Have Ran A Couple Seasons And I Believe I Have A Greater Understanding Of Game And I Hope I Will Be A Contender For Many Seasons To Come Once We Are All Started Up!

I'm taking a Christmas vacation from playing OOTP 12, I've played myself out the last few days. :)

The sims should take you right into 2012 and years past it as long as you keep on going, just keep simulating weeks or months at a time.

Ouch, my 69 Pilots season did not go well.

ouch.jpg

Plus, to add insult in injury, they automatically changed the team to Milwaukee for the 1970 season.

Since I am a new gm in this league, I have lots to learn! Obviously, I believe I am missing something with the draft as players are being taken that I would not think would be drafted so high like Ben Sheets and Scott Kazmir. Can someone tell me what I am missing please? Are we going by past years' stats and players? I am not understanding what is up! Please help me out here before I make a huge draft error and it costs me! thanks!

Don't go by anything in the real world! Don't look at the guys stats last year or any past years' real-life stats. Everything in this SIM world is as of 2007 so you get a little bit of a sense for who was good back then. However, it doesn't always work like real world players.

Most of us are drafting based on the ratings for each player if you click on their player page. I'm not too surprised that Kazmir and Sheets were first rounders. I had Kazmir as my sixth best SP based on the Potential and Talent ratings. He has 84 Stuff, 61 Movement, and 47 Control (all out of 100). That would put him in my top 10 SPs on the draft board.

Hopefully that helps a little.

Eric

I'm new to this as well, but I think many factors go into it.

I think we are drafting not just for one season, but a team that will play many seasons. Age, potential, contracts and other criteria should be taken into account.

Which brings me to a question of my own.

In the later rounds, when the computer is picking, is there a way to set criteria so the computer can select a player more closely suited to the style of play the manager (owner) wants?
For example, say owner A wants hard throwers and three run homers, and owner B wants ground ball pitchers and good D. Will there be a way for the computer to take those things into account?

---Frank

I'm new to this as well, but I think many factors go into it.

I think we are drafting not just for one season, but a team that will play many seasons. Age, potential, contracts and other criteria should be taken into account.

Which brings me to a question of my own.

In the later rounds, when the computer is picking, is there a way to set criteria so the computer can select a player more closely suited to the style of play the manager (owner) wants?
For example, say owner A wants hard throwers and three run homers, and owner B wants ground ball pitchers and good D. Will there be a way for the computer to take those things into account?

---Frank

No, the computer will draft as it wants to. It usually does a "decent" job of looking at the remaining talent. The upside is that all teams are affected equally, and honestly, after 10-15 rounds, the talent is usually similar enough that with a few trades you can find what you really want.

I went through the old rules page and modified it for the new league. Please take a look and ask any questions or let me know of clarifications I need to add. I am sure it still needs some work but it should be a start.

New members, I would highly advise reading through it, especially the trait info at the bottom of the page.

from a rookie gm in the new league, thanks for allowing me to participate! the draft was moving quite well the past two days but since last night, has completely stalled out! any way we can speed up the process so we can get through 10-15 rounds before having our benches picked randomly? i would love to pick my whole roster by myself but what do you folks think? plmk

thnx!