NEW BSL - OOTP12 Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slavlite

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I am giving the last 4 existing owners until Monday 12/12/11 @ 7: PM Central time to contact me about their ownership. After that Any incoming member to the new BSL is on a first come first serve basis, we are nearing a full league so If you are an existing owner and want in Let me know ASAP We have filled 1 Spot left by Chaplain11 already, and The Quarter Box has expressed interest in taking over 1 of the remaining 2 slots left by members who have already declined the new league

I have been playing around with the software for about an hour and a half, pretty sure I have a solid Idea of how to create the league the way we want it.

There is alot going on with this new software that we didnt have previously, so please everyone just fiddle around with things and start to familiarize yourself with the software itself.

You will start to see similarities between what our current website has and what the new software has, But there alot more options for this and many more things to look at.

Cory suggested and I fully agree that we should keep the system similar to what we had in the original BSL:

A) - Innaugural draft - unless you want to start with a real major league roster from a specific season, the innaugural draft will give everyone the same "Fantasy" type team that we started out with in the BSL

B) - Starting our league somewhere in the 2002-2006 range so that we are not starting with completely fictional players

C) - Keeping with the minor league system that we have, AAA and AA only, there is an option for up to 7 Minor league affiliates all the way down to high school level minors, that seems unnecessary to me

Just a few thoughts to get the ball rolling on new league discussion.

-Nick

Last edited:
Nick, my first thought would be to have some "real" players like we have done in the BSL. I liked starting with those guys. I think the two minor leagues are plenty also.

With tongue firmly planted in cheek, I would like to suggest that the first year draft take place in reverse order of the finish of the just finished season of the BSL!! I am sure Cory would agree, LOL> Thanks , and thanks Nick for taking this on . Pat

Nick, first off thanks again for taking this on. I've just played with the new program yesterday for a few hours and there are definitely more options/features than the version we have been using. It seems easy enough to get used to.

As for the questions you asked, I believe we should have an inaugural draft like we had in the previous game. I loved starting out with some real players and then having our draft picks come up and take the place of the aging veterans. It was always fun to watch them develop, etc.

As for draft order, we should probably go with a random.org draft order. Since we face the possibility of having 8 new owners, a random order draft is probably the way to go.

And of course, keep the minors the way we have them set up now. There's no reason for 7 levels. I think we all are going to have enough of a learning curve with the new program let alone having to manage 7 levels of minor leagues.

Just my thoughts.

Steph

I think we can get a randomizer for the draft order and then serpentine through the following rounds. I would like to establish a minor league free agency rule 5 type system so we don't have these deep minors that seemed to be developing. As we would undoubtably get in multiple seasons per year I think backing up the starting era as much as makes sense.

I think we can get a randomizer for the draft order and then serpentine through the following rounds. I would like to establish a minor league free agency rule 5 type system so we don't have these deep minors that seemed to be developing. As we would undoubtably get in multiple seasons per year I think backing up the starting era as much as makes sense.

I agree with this, some type of Rule 5 system would be the only thing that I'd like to see implemented in this league, if possible.

Other than that, I think we should pretty much keep it the same way we did for the original BSL. Randomized snake inaugural draft, and probably starting somewhere among the 04-06 season. AAA and AA systems are more than enough (it was challenging to maintain just those at times), and I'd like to still have the minor league contracts be at no cost to the team as we had in the BSL, if that would still be possible.

Another thought...

For the inaugural draft, instead of drafting all ten rounds (depending on if we do more or less this time) at once like we did in the inaugural BSL league, we should probably space it out among a few days to lighten the load a bit. I remember the inaugural draft took around four hours to complete when we did it. :)

Just a thought.

If I remember right, when Cory started the BSL, and after the Draft order was decided, we were able to pick up the first and second rounds before the regular draft. Sort of made it easier to know which of the top picks were already gone. I liked doing that . Pat

If I remember right, when Cory started the BSL, and after the Draft order was decided, we were able to pick up the first and second rounds before the regular draft. Sort of made it easier to know which of the top picks were already gone. I liked doing that . Pat

Yep, you're right Pat, I forgot about that. We should probably look into doing that this time as well once we all get situated and more comfortable with the software. Drafting the first couple rounds before the regular draft did work out well and I'd like to do it again.

Everyone needs to create a random league on their own and play around with all the setting, especially the lineups, promotions/demotions, waivers, extensions, free agent offers....YOU WILL BE ENTERING THESE YOURSELF for your team on the actual league and sending a file in with that info through the game. There is a lot of practice to get things down to a science, so the more you tinker and mess around with stuff, you'll find shortcuts and also what NOT to do!

I am downloading the software tomorrow more than likely. Knowing version 8 like the back of my hand, I don't see a huge learning curve other than the ratings system is different (each pitch has ratings in addition to what we already had, etc).

There is a Rule 5 option included in the game. The old league had the option, but it would be too labor intensive.

We have a lot of other options to look at as well...supplemental picks for losing type A/B free agents, etc. There are countless options available.

Again, practice with the software. If you open it and are completely lost, play with it. Create a random league, pick and team and start clicking things. You'll have to get used to it -- EVERYONE will. It will be worth it in the long run, trust me!

Cory

I agree with keeping everything the same as the old league...

Rule 5 draft is hard to maintain.. I agree with Cory on this!! I have been playing with the old game and left it turned on.. Just hard to maintain your 40 man roster and protect the minor leaguers you value.. Everyone will find out, Cory had a lot of work when it came to maintaining a 40 man roster and promoting/demoting players..

I like the random draft idea.. give everyone a shot at getting a good pick.

Yeah we will have to come up a with a guide on what procedures to follow.

Looks like we will all need access to ftp the files. Unless I'm missing something.

According to Corey everyone needs to create a random league..but i don't see that option unless its the new custom game option.

I think what he's saying is for everyone to that to practice and get an better idea of how the new software/features work.

I think we should start out with the same system that we had in the old one, play that for a few seasons and then as a group decide if there will be any additions to rules such as rule 5 or compensation picks.

- Chris

According to Corey everyone needs to create a random league..but i don't see that option unless its the new custom game option.

Technical any way you set up a league you will be able to play with the functions of the software, Whether it is a new ML game, Historical, Custom or quickstart.

Basically the setup of the league isnt as important for the owners to know as much as it is just getting a game started so you can see the workings of the league once it is under way.

I think we should start out with the same system that we had in the old one, play that for a few seasons and then as a group decide if there will be any additions to rules such as rule 5 or compensation picks.

- Chris

Chris that will more than likely be the jist of it, however a few changes will be much easier to implement at the start than adding onto the league at a later date ( again I am also still in the learning process so as i gather more and more info on this making those changes may not be as difficult as I think

What are we setting as a tenative start date, early to mid January? I agree with everyone about the random draft. As for the year to start with anywhere in the past decade sounds good to me. Are we also going to have a league president like we did in the past? I also see that we will have the ability to vote for Awards and All-Stars as well. I am really looking forward to the new league.